Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for garage

• 07-05-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me out. A friend of mine built a garage and i'd like to build the same garage on my site. He has offered me the plans, my question is can I just submit these plans to the planning authority or do i need an engineer to submit the drawings with this garage on my site?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Hi, I would say an Engineer would be the best way to go. He will have to do a survey of your site that will include boundaries, house and proposed location for your garage. Show him your friends plans so he can arrange the necessary floor and elevation plan to be lodged. You should ask your Engineer what his best price for cash would be. If you built your home try and find any site layout plans as it might help keep down cost's, you should pay no more than €500 for your application including planning fees and local newspaper fees. Dont involve any local councillor to act for you as they only annoy the planning department. Good luck and remember the boom years are over and that means ALL trades are 2 a penny. If you want I can give you labour and material prices that will give you a rough total cost of your proposed garage. Private message me with a scan of the plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks ever so much Porte, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I just might take you up on the offer of costings too, thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can help me out. A friend of mine built a garage and i'd like to build the same garage on my site. He has offered me the plans, my question is can I just submit these plans to the planning authority or do i need an engineer to submit the drawings with this garage on my site?

Do you know if you even need planning permission??

You can build a garage to a certain size and height once you have a certain amount of back/side garden left for leisure use.

For my house it was 25 meters squared between the garage wall and the kitchen wall of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Hi again guys, I've spoke to an Engineer/Architect and he's quoted me 600euro to do up the garage plans on my site and do the submission to the planning authority etc,. Does this price sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Hi again guys, I've spoke to an Engineer/Architect and he's quoted me 600euro to do up the garage plans on my site and do the submission to the planning authority etc,. Does this price sound about right?

This price sounds good for you. There may be additional fees such as Newspaper ad, planning fee & OS maps but even so it is a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jean1333

hi Lads,

It would be great if anyone can help me. I want to raise the height of a dormer roof to the ridge height of the main house. I will need planning permission because it can be seen from the front of the house. i need the space to create a walk in wardrobe because my bedroom is very small.

I spoke to an engineer today and he has quoted me €1,500 to prepare plans to submit to planning authority. I would have to pay fee to council and newspaper add etc. The 600 euro fee seems good value. Hope you can help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jean1333 wrote: »
    hi Lads,

It would be great if anyone can help me. I want to raise the height of a dormer roof to the ridge height of the main house. I will need planning permission because it can be seen from the front of the house. i need the space to create a walk in wardrobe because my bedroom is very small.

I spoke to an engineer today and he has quoted me €1,500 to prepare plans to submit to planning authority. I would have to pay fee to council and newspaper add etc. The 600 euro fee seems good value. Hope you can help?
    Im confused here on 2 points.

Where did the figure of €600 come from?

What type of help are you after? You haven't said.

There are paper drawings available from previous Planning Permission in 2000 for extension to back of house and porch to front of house. Area 59sq. meters.

This is the price i was given from an engineer to prepare a planning application for raising the dormer roof to the side of my house to meet the main roof ridge. It also be seen from the front of the house.

I saw a post on this site that said the engineer had quoted €600? I am not experienced in this at all and I am new to the site. Please be tolerent.

To prepare a planning application ie drawings,forms etc for the amount below.

This does not include the following costs and would be borne by me.

1.cost of an advert in the paper
    2.laminating and erecting a sign in your Garden (we will prepare the paper to go in the sign of course).
    3.County Council fee circa €50
    4.Measuring up rooms in the house/Site visits to verify dimensions

Fee to lodge planning documents assuming legible drawings of the existing house can be obtained: €1,275 plus VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

jean1333
    For what you are describing the fee seems a little high. The €600 fee stated above is for a garage and so is a different job and work altogether.

If there are paper drawings of the building already, would it not make sense to get the same person just to alter those drawings. Instead of getting someone new to draw up the entire thing again? To modify the existing drawings and make an application would cost you a fraction of the €1,500 quoted, imo.

But, working from scratch on your job I would guess a price of €1,000 all in (including fees). Get some quotes, you might be surprised...:)

Hi,
    Thanks for the advise. I would prefer not to use the Architect I had back in 2000. I have terrible problems with the builder and I am still rectifying problems to date. I did go to the council but they told me that all drawings are copyright pre March 2002, as they were the Architect's workings and that i would have to get permission from him to copy the drawings. I can order the file for a fee of €30 and take notes on measurements. I have the planning reference number and I have downloaded documents from the council site but the drawings were not done on CAD and the scanned copy from the Architect is very poor. I will get other quotes from engineers. Not sure if I need to go to the bigger civil engineer companies but I dont know anybody in this area.

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement