Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certifications

Options
  • 07-05-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Is there much point in getting certified ? I.E mysql certifications.
    I have a Bsc in computer science and Msc in multimedia, and a decent portfolio at this stage. Only clocking up to 3-4 experience though.

So question is, doing a cert or two help me in future jobs much ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Placebo wrote: »
    Is there much point in getting certified ? I.E mysql certifications.
    I have a Bsc in computer science and Msc in multimedia, and a decent portfolio at this stage. Only clocking up to 3-4 experience though.

So question is, doing a cert or two help me in future jobs much ?

yes,
    It shows that
    a) you know your stuff
    b) you have good intentions in staying in touch with recent techologies
    c) you're motivated
    d) and you can learn !

put it this way,
    you have two candidates for one job, both candidates on paper are identical but one has the certification, and the other doesn't....which one would you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well personally i would look at experience[/portfolio] after the main qualifications [i.e degrees]

If one has worked on several databased involved - dynamic products/sites, then i would pick him over someone with less experience and a Mysql cert because that just involves learning and taking the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

true,
    but if the two people were "IDENTICAL" in personality, and technical ability,
    you would choose the one with the certs no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What type of work are you doing now/wanting to do in the future?

Advertisement