Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthquake in Clare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cool, wow never knew dublin had a 5.5 earthquake, thats pretty strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Actually it wasnt all that strong, if I remember correctly it was located very deep under ground under Carnarven (sp?) Bay in Wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Not wrote: »
    Actually it wasnt all that strong, if I remember correctly it was located very deep under ground under Carnarven (sp?) Bay in Wales
    yep. IRISH TIMES - The epicentre of the quake was at a point south-west of Caernarvon on the Lleyn peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    First volcanic ash now earthquakes are troubling the Banner.:D

http://www.clareherald.com/local-news/regional/1198-earthquake-hits-west-clare.html

Was talking to someone from Liscannor today and they mentioned they felt/heard a very loud bang, quite noticeable, like a truck crashing. Now I know what it was at least. Unusual event for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

maybe it was a truck crashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Dd you hear it yourself Wolfe?

Someone told me earler about this and said the noise was heard n the Dubln Mountains, don't know if that is accurate???

Isn't the World meant to end in 2012... earthquakes in Clare; icebergs off Donegal and ash clouds above us! :eek:

snow ghost wrote: »
    Dd you hear it yourself Wolfe?

Someone told me earler about this and said the noise was heard n the Dubln Mountains, don't know if that is accurate???

Isn't the World meant to end in 2012... earthquakes in Clare; icebergs off Donegal and ash clouds above us! :eek:
    Hi snow m8.

Didnt notice anything. was in basement of my house at the time surrounded by 18 inches of concrete so i was like the cockroach that survived the 'disaster'

The dublin mountains thing you refer to was an observatory that picked it up.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi snow m8.

Didnt notice anything. was in basement of my house at the time surrounded by 18 inches of concrete so i was like the cockroach that survived the 'disaster'

The dublin mountains thing you refer to was an observatory that picked it up.

H Wolfe,

Ah yeah... built yourself a bunker and have been hiding away after those scary noises in the night during the winter hey!!! ;)

As for surviving the disaster... don't count your chickens, that eartquake could have caused a tsunami. :)

H Wolfe,

As for surviving the disaster... don't count your chickens, that eartquake could have caused a tsunami. :)

my groaning monster from January didn't even pop out to say hi last night.

By the way, there were people wandering in the streets of west clare last night in an awful state. It was an awful site. Children were crying, women were wailing and the men were pulling rubbles from their homes. Then the earthquake happened :pac:

• Advertisement

Brian Cowen has just declared Clare a National Disaster Area and he said he is doing everything in his power to secure international financial aid to help with rebuildng - he's asked Greece to lend him €10. :pac:

It'll be like that program Survivors there soon... best you stay in the basement until everyone has eaten everyone else.

Brian Cowen has just declared Clare a National Disaster Area and he said he is doing everything in his power to secure international financial aid to help with rebuildng - he's asked Greece to lend him €10. :pac:

It'll be like that program Survivors there soon... best you stay in the basement until everyone has eaten everyone else.
    hehe. will do. im stacked up with tyskies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a Met Eireann report on the Clare tremor.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=66

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Interesting thread. I wonder if there have ever been any distructive earthquakes or Tsuamis in Ireland? In my 'short' existence, I have just felt two minor tremors here.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

arctictree wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I wonder if there have ever been any distructive earthquakes or Tsuamis in Ireland? In my 'short' existence, I have just felt two minor tremors here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

Shocks from the earthquake were felt throughout Europe as far as Finland and North Africa, and according to some sources even in Greenland[4] and in the Caribbean.[5] Tsunamis as tall as 20 metres (66 ft) swept the coast of North Africa, and struck Martinique and Barbados across the Atlantic. A three-metre (ten-foot) tsunami hit Cornwall on the southern English coast. Galway, on the west coast of Ireland, was also hit, resulting in partial destruction of the "Spanish Arch" section of the city wall.

Advertisement