Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free (or MS) software to make transparent pngs

Options
  • 07-05-2010 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of free software to make pngs with transparent backgrounds?
    Is there any Microsoft software that can do this? I can get most MS software for free (legally).
    I know you can do this in Photoshop. Not sure if I can get legal free Photoshop though.

edit: You can in expression design it seems. However I'm not sure you can set transparent sections on an imported raster image. You can trace it into vectors, and that works better than I expected, but it makes the image a little blurry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You can do it with GIMP which is a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

For free programs, another plus for GIMP.

Paint.net may be able to do this also, is simpler to use than GIMP, for fairly decent for image manipulation, and also supports layers & transparency.

www.getpaint.net

Advertisement