Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays Echo

Options
  • 07-05-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Was looking at the front page on www.eveningecho.ie
    there's a story about some guy who was caught with a load of gear, skipped bail, fled to the US but returned and was sent down.
    it continues on page two but on the website you can only see the front page.
    can anyone give me the rest of the story as i'm about three hundred miles from Cork! :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They all lived happily ever after.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

He was stopped at a checkpoint in Nov 2003, Gardai searched the van and found 60 kilos of cannabis resin in a wooden compartment in the back of the van, the drugs had a street value of €780,000 though the defendant claimed he bought it for €80,000.

He was remanded on bail of €8000 to appear for sentencing in May, but failed to appear and emigrated to America, with his pregnant girlfriend later joining him there. They got married and raised three children there.

The SC said that dark forces were threatening the defendant, Derek O Connor and that one of the reasons he fled was because he was in fear. O Connor was anxious to come home, face up to the matter and put it behind him. He arrived home and handed himself in.

The judge said that the mandatory minimum sentence is 10 years, but in this case there were exceptional factors that enabled him to impose a lower sentence. Judge said that during O Connor's time in America he worked hard and did his best to bring up his family, and there were a number of testimonials were handed up on O Connors behalf. Five year sentence with the final two years suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

The judge said that the mandatory minimum sentence is 10 years, but in this case there were exceptional factors that enabled him to impose a lower sentence. Judge said that during O Connor's time in America he worked hard and did his best to bring up his family, and there were a number of testimonials were handed up on O Connors behalf. Five year sentence with the final two years suspended

So if you do a crime, run away and have the good life for a few years, then decide its time to head home, you get a 3rd of your sentence! Sure everyone should do that!
    Its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

He was stopped at a checkpoint in Nov 2003, Gardai searched the van and found 60 kilos of cannabis resin in a wooden compartment in the back of the van, the drugs had a street value of €780,000 though the defendant claimed he bought it for €80,000.

60 keys of hash €780,000? Eh, is it just me or does anyone else see a problem with this?
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    So if you do a crime, run away and have the good life for a few years, then decide its time to head home, you get a 3rd of your sentence! Sure everyone should do that!
    Its a disgrace.

Not really a disgrace IMO. If you think about it, prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation, more than punishment. (Meant to be...not that it really functions like that). This guy realised he fcuked up, ran away, and did well, stopped being a dick basically.

Why should he serve 10 years for something he did 6 years ago, that he realises was wrong and has changed? What possible purpose could it serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

60 keys of hash €780,000? Eh, is it just me or does anyone else see a problem with this?

Not really a disgrace IMO. If you think about it, prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation, more than punishment. (Meant to be...not that it really functions like that). This guy realised he fcuked up, ran away, and did well, stopped being a dick basically.

Why should he serve 10 years for something he did 6 years ago, that he realises was wrong and has changed? What possible purpose could it serve?

I see what you mean, I do think 10 years for hash is harsh anyway. But my point is, everyone could start doing this now, easy way out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

780K is a mad crazy number. They're off their head with most drug valuations, "the street," must be a pricey place.

In fairness he came back and owned up to it, a tough thing to do.

Cadyboo wrote: »
    I see what you mean, I do think 10 years for hash is harsh anyway. But my point is, everyone could start doing this now, easy way out!

Would drive down the cost of the exchecker and take a few drug dealers away. I don't see anything wrong with it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

€780k is a ridiculously over inflated value. No doubt the Gardai inflated the cost to make it seem a larger haul or to try and ensure a tougher sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

D-Generate wrote: »
    €780k is a ridiculously over inflated value. No doubt the Gardai inflated the cost to make it seem a larger haul or to try and ensure a tougher sentence.

Gardai always inflate the street value of drugs for two reasons 1). to make their seizure figures look far better than they really are and 2). to try and get offenders put away for longer. Its a common pratice in all countries to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

He was remanded on bail of €8000 to appear for sentencing in May, but failed to appear and emigrated to America, with his pregnant girlfriend later joining him there. They got married and raised three children there.

The SC said that dark forces were threatening the defendant, Derek O Connor and that one of the reasons he fled was because he was in fear. O Connor was anxious to come home, face up to the matter and put it behind him. He arrived home and handed himself in.

thanks a lot!

so it seems that if you come take off for a few years then come back voluntarily, they go easy on you :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Was this reported like this? As I've heard a different "story"

themonboys wrote: »

It's cork, we all hear different stories. The reported one is the one I choose to believe TBH, makes him seem like he is past that anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

themonboys wrote: »

As it was in the Echo, and said by the SC in the court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

It's cork, we all hear different stories. The reported one is the one I choose to believe TBH, makes him seem like he is past that anyway.

I know all too well, that's why I asked.
    As it was in the Echo, and said by the SC in the court

Thanks RG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishguy82

He is still in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishguy82

He is still in the U.S.

Advertisement