Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britton Insurance - cheap???

• 07-05-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Britton Insurance are charging E25 for a copy of no claims bonus, which is a legal document that you are entitled to. My new broker don't charge for it at all. I've tried to reason with Britton to get this down, but there's no talking to them. So much for a budget broker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Britton Insurance are charging E25 for a copy of no claims bonus, which is a legal document that you are entitled to. My new broker don't charge for it at all. I've tried to reason with Britton to get this down, but there's no talking to them. So much for a budget broker

I'm not qualified to discuss whether on this being a legal document your entitled to or not, but surely if it is and Britton are 'charging' you for it, this would amount to blacmail in my eyes!

Threaten them with legal action if your adamant it's a legal doc your entitled to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this for another copy in addition to the one sent out with your renewal?

If so then I doubt they legaly have to supply any more than the original.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Britton Insurance are in Donegal and make their money out of all the idiotic boyracers up there. Think of Quinn Direct only worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You are entitled to your No Claims Bonus as a right. However, when you last transactred business with them, they were obliged to provide you with a copy of their Terms of Business. If this charge is not mentioned in it, you have a right to present it to the Financial Regulator. ALL charges have to be declared in this document

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Have they provided you with one already which you have since lost?
    If this is the case then they can charge you for another one.
    Its only if they are refusing to give you the first one for free that is wrong.

From what I remember from my own terms and conditions, once your insurance comes to an end then your company is obligated to send you one free copy of your no claims letter, but they can charge for any subsequent copies after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ring this guy and ask whether they are alowed to do that

http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

1890 88 20 90

no doubt they are allowed to charge a hndling fee or something
    mind i just left brittons as they were too expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Britton Insurance are real Cowboys. Run by an operator called Pat Britton. I Once got a quote from them and sent them a payment. I was then contacted again looking for more money as they had mis-quoted. I said no, as I contracted with them on their original quote and nothing had changed from all the information I gave them at time of quote.

About two weeks later,(without warning) I received a cheque in the post, saying they were withdrawing cover and returning my premium less a handling fee of 50 Euro.

Talk about Mis-selling and sharp practice

Advertisement