Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charleville Castle Photography Weekend 26/27th June 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't know what you're on about. I didn't hear a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

NOTICES:

The castle got back to me and I'm happy to announce your all in and booked. We have allocation for 30 or so people. woooooo

Camping will be encouraged this trip as the weather will be good and the numbers have been increased. The camp grounds will be around back near the camp fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Ah crap, now I want to go :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Sebzy wrote: »
    NOTICES:

The castle got back to me and I'm happy to announce your all in and booked. We have allocation for 30 or so people. woooooo

Camping will be encouraged this trip as the weather will be good and the numbers have been increased. The camp grounds will be around back near the camp fire.

I wonder where my tent is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

DarrenG wrote: »
    Ah crap, now I want to go :(

You can register til 10th June...

Don't have a tent. Hope I can have a space in the Castle or do we all now sleep outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

just registered now never read the first post properly doh!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, so, every year I promise myself faithfully I will do this trip. Every year something whacko comes up. This year I'm hoping to break the cycle... :)

I've registered, I know I'm past the cut off number but I'm hopefully with cancelations I've a shot at a place!

Looking forward to it hopefully!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I've just registered as well - is sleeping in the car the same as camping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Sweet all I need to do now is sort out the time off work :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

eas wrote: »

For grown ups it's exactly the same...it is the same isn't it?

Must be the same, gotta be the same, oh it is the same.

I can't go back into a tent...not since glastonbury...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

humberklog wrote: »
    For grown ups it's exactly the same...it is the same isn't it?

Must be the same, gotta be the same, oh it is the same.

I can't go back into a tent...not since glastonbury...

Definitely not the same thing. Take it from someone who has done the sleeping in the car a couple of times. It screws with your back, you get cold unless you keep the car running, and turning over to complete your nights sleep gets you a creak in the neck and wakes you up.

Result -> you end up being a cranky b0ll1x for the whole day from lack of sleep :D

Better of buying a sleeping bag and sharing a tent. There should be enough spare sleepers. I've a three man and a five man chalet all for myself :D

BTW sound really carries when camping, so water buckets are a must to quell the snoring :D;):D

Result -> you end up being a cranky b0ll1x for the whole day from lack of sleep :D
    And trust me, you don't want to hang around a castle for a day with a hangover and a sleepless night :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Aww, I kinda liked sleeping in the castle, at least I did second time round when I copped on to the ear plug/comfortable camp bed plan :)

Must try and find my tent so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Would have loved to go / meet some boardies but alas the dates don't suit, maybe next time.

ok - may have to re-think the sleeping in the car thing - particularly because I drive a mini. Thanks for the advice Buzz. ;)

I'll volunteer to sleep in the snore camp - and challenge for the cup.

Just a thought, would anyone be interested in hiring a few models for the Saturday.....or would that just not work with all the people involved?

Look forward to meeting you all face to face.....finally.

I can offer a drive up to someone - I'll be leaving from Wicklow Town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just a thought, would anyone be interested in hiring a few models for the Saturday.....or would that just not work with all the people involved?

Great idea Eric, though, I think you answered it yourself. It could get a bit messy.

oshead wrote: »
    Great idea Eric, though, I think you answered it yourself. It could get a bit messy.

true....but it could possibly work if we got 4 models, whoever is interested in doing portrait work could break into smaller groups with a model & location each and each group could rotate around the models & locations? Might be a nice way for people (including myself) to get some experience using different light set ups...if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I can wear a swimsuit if thats any use..... or a onesie

true....but it could possibly work if we got 4 models, whoever is interested in doing portrait work could break into smaller groups with a model & location each and each group could rotate around the models & locations? Might be a nice way for people (including myself) to get some experience using different light set ups...if that makes sense.

We would need to be careful as I'm guessing these models would not be boards members and the agrement with the castle is that all attendees will be boards people. The castle provides access to the castle for photographers for model shoots but that costs a lot more than we're paying. If hiring models is to go ahead I'm going to have to clear it with the castle first and have the details sorted out.

Oh christ no, please don't do that - It'll descend to a dirty sleazy circle jerk, and before anyone begs to differ, I've seen it happen too many times. Trust me, you won't run out of anything to shoot in Charleville! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

So, as this is my first trip, can you confirm my little "To Pack" list? :o

I shall bring...

... "Admission" money
    ... a tent (to share?)/matras/sleeping bag
    ... drinkies
    ... food? BBQ? Breakkie? Hang-Sangwiches? Homebaked Scones?
    ... My little camera friends
    ... A warm jacket
    ... A torch - for practical AND lightpainting purposes :rolleyes:

Anything "important" that I'm forgetting that will my Charleville experience go bad?

Réally starting to look forward to this now! *happy little dance*

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Oh It'll descend to a dirty sleazy circle jerk, and before anyone begs to differ, I've seen it happen too many times. Trust me, you won't run out of anything to shoot in Charleville! :)

i haven't had a good CJ in years.....:D

Seeing as how it's my first year attending I won't bring it up again. I plan on being drunk by early afternoon anyhow.

sNarah wrote: »

I shall bring...

... "Admission" money
    ... a tent (to share?)/matras/sleeping bag
    ... drinkies
    ... food? BBQ? Breakkie? Hang-Sangwiches? Homebaked Scones?
    ... My little camera friends
    ... A warm jacket
    ... A torch - for practical AND lightpainting purposes :rolleyes:

Anything "important" that I'm forgetting that will my Charleville experience go bad?

Réally starting to look forward to this now! *happy little dance*

Well it looks like you have pretty much everything there. The list of stuff in the first post has been refined over the years so it covers most.

Now regarding food. If the weather is good we will have the BBQ and people usually send a team to the supermarket to buy everything on the day.

Yep, it's as easy take a trip to Tesco's during the day to pick up supplies, and we can buy depending on what's happening.

And possibly make a big pot of breakfast the next morning...

NOTICE: Oh boy how the list has grown

01 Kjt
    02 Tallon
    03 Theboat
    04 Trishw78
    05 Slidinginfinity
    06 Xia
    07 lotsafish
    08 Irishabi
    09 MIG21
    10 Cabaal
    11 Dakar
    12 Fajitas!
    13 Jemmy
    14 Elven
    15 Rymus
    16 DutchGuy
    17 PCPhoto
    18 Kensutz
    19 Cork_girl
    20 Snorlax
    21 ihastakephoto
    22 pullandbang
    23 m s nixon
    24 ThOnda
    25 Rahtkennades
    26 Fenster
    27 sNarah
    28 kazujo
    29 Buzzlightyear
    30 Sineadw
    31 humberklog
    32 DK32
    33 Foto Joe
    34 Calina
    35 Lagnagouhsse
    36 nilhg
    37 RoryW
    38 sheesh
    39 DeVore
    40 DarrenG
    41 eas
    42 Thomas gee
    43 oshead

Well consider everyone so far booked in and feel free to book the time off work and clear those schedules. We have reached our very most top limit now so anyone else will be on the waiting list.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Kitchen sink!

Kitchen sink!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Well consider everyone so far booked in and feel free to book the time off work and clear those schedules. We have reached our very most top limit now so anyone else will be on the waiting list.

Wheeeeeee!

Now to dust off the camera!

Kitchen sink!

That'll be handy if Buzzlightyear is bringing his espresso machine again this year.

I'll bring my grinder if he is. And caffeine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Looking forward to it now:)

Unlucky 13, ahhh I is a big scaredy cat, oh noes :eek::o

• Advertisement

NOTICE: Oh boy how the list has grown

I filled out the online form for this. Did you not get it as I'm not on the list?

DarrenG wrote: »
    I filled out the online form for this. Did you not get it as I'm not on the list?

oopse :)
    yea your fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That'll be handy if Buzzlightyear is bringing his espresso machine again this year.

I'll bring my grinder if he is. And caffeine.

Oh that can be arranged. I can see coffee being required before the drive home ;);)

For anyone that needs a lift. I will be travelling from Balbriggan so anyone out this direction or along the route stuck for a lift, let me know.

Plenty of room for camping gear too as I have an estate car now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would offer a lift, but I'm in the next town :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats some list, this should be interesting with so many people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah deadly - just seeing this now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I was rightly and soundly laughed at for fretting about this without actually looking at the list. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Holy crap that's one hell of a list. Really looking forward to the weekend and having a bit of banter!

• Advertisement

Ok, so what big ideas have you got this year people?:D

I know Sinead is looking at an ambitious Infrared studio set up. I'm making me some pinhole cameras to use with 24x30 cm X-ray film and looking into the logistics of processing on-site.

My rope lights went down well last year, but I didn't get round to the shot which involved attempting a light painting of the castle with halogen floodlights.

So come on then, what've you got?

A378B72ABE8048B4BEACEEBD4E74F813-500.jpg

dakar wrote: »

So come on then, what've you got?

I'm still trying to figure out a way of using my shotguns indoors in the castle with a flash gun tied to the barrels. Don't know what it will achieve (apart from no more Charleville Boards outings) but could be fun.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm still trying to figure out a way of using my shotguns indoors in the castle with a flash gun tied to the barrels. Don't know what it will achieve (apart from no more Charleville Boards outings) but could be fun.:D

Sweet baby zombie there really will be ghosts in the castle. Headless photographers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I was wondering what people are shooing as their primary camera for this trip.
    I will mostly be using Nikon D90 & N65.

So what are you all shooting?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

D700 with a cheap plastic lens and a D50 for IR goodness

• Advertisement

Not going to bring much gear this time.
    Oly E3 + 14-54 + HoyaR72
    Fujifilm Instax 200
    Polaroid Job Pro 600 and PL BW Film

I'm sick of this digital crap it's just not instant enough :)

Charleville <3's large format, although I reckon I'll stick to 6x12 this year...

At the other extreme, I picked up 5 rolls of 110 film in my local chemist on Saturday (exp 2007 and priced €3.99 per roll :)). If anyone wants them I'll have them with me. BTW - I did't pay for them :p

So what are you all shooting?

Judging by what I've been shooting mostly lately, an iphone :D

I'll have my D300 with lensbaby/nifty fifty/10-20 which I'll use a bit, I suppose (if you want a proper play with the lensbaby)

Also working on my large format (12x8) X-ray film pinhole camera (this plan is getting ambitious, I'm trying to work out how to attach the lensbaby!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

humberklog wrote: »

This little baby JD.

Want.

Hope to be around the castle for this one instead of working like last time :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement