Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Killybegs to Cork

Options
  • 07-05-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

If you were driving from Killybegs /Donegal to Cork, which way would you go?
    I went last week and used the usual route down the west coast, Galway, Limerick etc... but the sat nav wanted me to go via Athlone... Has anyone been down through the midlands lately?
    It took 7 hrs including stopping for lunch, which I thought was ok for that route, again, the sat nav suggested, 5 hrs using the midlands route.
    Another alternative would be taking the N4 to the outskirts of Dublin and then joining the M8 to Cork..
    I'm interested in everyone's opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I went as far as Thurles via Athlone a few weeks back, took roughly 6 hours but it was during the snow storm so you could probably take a good hour off that.

The road is reasonably good for most of it with a few poor sections as you'd expect with a B road but I'd imagine you could make Cork in 6 hours that way. Once you pass Thurles you join the M8 right into the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Athlone to Thurles to Cork (dunkettle/tunnel)(N62-N52-N62-M8) is about 2hours, without major hold ups, add 30mins for Friday afternoon traffic in Thurles and the usual increase traffic on the road.
    Compared to trying to battle through the potholes of Gort (N18),traffic in Limerick (N18 to N/M20), Charleville(N20) and Mallow(N8) and that slow road to hell that is Buttevant to Mallow (N20), and you end up having to cross the city get another south or west of Cork, it's an easier drive, and less hassle, and the way I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

personaly i would go ,donegal town laghy pettigoe enniskillen cavan and wich ever road you want to go after that .hope it helps a little.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

Why on earth would you go to Cavan to get to Cork?!:confused:

I think I'll try the Athlone route the next time, though I had no traffic in Limerick or Galway, but I was lucky. Once they finish the Gort Crusheen/ and Limerick tunnell it'll be a great road, apart from that bit in Mayo, and the bit in Sligo...oh yea and the bit through Charleville.... and Buttevant/Mallow...ok it's a pig of a journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theres no real problems with the Athlone route, its a straight road pretty much the whole way. Theres a couple of turns in Boyle then you need to swing around on the Athlone bypass and turn off for Nenagh, after that a straight road all the way to Thurles and through to the M8 to Dunkettle.

Should be an easier route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Just going as the crow flys,okok ill shut up:o:Dhave a safe trip

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

I didn't mean it like that...:(....didn't mean to offend, thanks for your input... I'll try the Athlone route next time I think... or maybe even Cavan ...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

As someone who drives to both Athlone and Galway regulary I'd be inclined to go the Athlone route. Apart from between Boyle and Roscommon town, its a good wide road the whole way, and even tho Boyle - Ros is narrower, its still a decent surface. Plus i'd be fairly sure that you'll do signifigantly less mileage going that way, its fairly straight the whole way down.

Once you get to Athlone as someone said, you only have Thurles to negotiate and its fairly plain sailing after that. Wouldn't be bothered going to Galway and on to Limerick, the road between Limerick and Cork isn't as good as you'd imagine and as someone mentioned, Limerick can be hellish trafficwise if you hit it at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Having tried both routes weekly for a year or so, I would go via Galway/Limerick. You will save about a half hour going via Athlone but the roads are crap and this time of year you may well be stuck behind a lot of tractors on roads which you cannot pass them.

The trick is to time Limerick for traffic, but Limerick is only bad coming back up from Cork. I never had any problems with traffic in Limerick going south and I must have done it 50 or 60 times.

The midlands route will be better going north.

It all depends on where in Cork you are going. If it's the south side of the city, it may well take you an hour to get on to the Limerick road when leaving, but getting across the City going down is not a problem.

Advertisement