Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did u get a nursing interview?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vimto

Thanks itread

and well done!

What is your first choice?

I'm going to have a long think about mine tonight i would love TCD midwifery though just have to hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can someone help me here. I'm thinking of applying to Nursing in DCU next year as a mature student (I'll be 25), whats the process exactly? Once you apply, what tests are there? So it's tests plus interview? From reading here there seems to be a point system aswell? How does it work?

Also, would being a man have a positive or negative impact on my chances? I have a good few qualifications in healthcare and I do quite a bit of first-aid/ambulance work, would this be an advantage or is it all down to the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Oh Vimto I am just so devastated! As I'm sure a few others are. My first choice is General but I don't think my chances are good!

Good luck in getting your first choice in Midwifery ;-)

Hi Elessar

I won't pretent to you - the process is quite full on - well this is my experience.

You have to apply before 1 Feb of the year you are applying. There is a great orange booklet called Nursing: 'A career from you' which you will find on www.nursingcareers.ie website under publications. This is full of information!

You will be required to do an aptitude test (usually in April) which involves three sections: Personality test, Maths test and Word relationships test.

Then, if you get sufficient points, you will be called for an interview which took place in May this year.

You go for the interview and then you wait until June when they send out a letter to confirm whether you passed the interview or not along with the points you received at the aptitude test.

I think it is the points that gaurantee a place.

Hope this helps you! Anything else just let us know. This is only my thoughts.

Cheers

I doubt being a man would matter at all! Everyone is totally equal in this process!!! When I went for my interview I sat with two lads! I wouldn't worry about that at all! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

well done to everybody passing the interview, maybe the points won't go up that much, just hold tough for another 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,

I passed the interview and got 174. I have no idea if its enough though.
    My first choice is Psychiatric in UL. Last yr it was 166 but it could shoot up.
    The thing is though, with only 499 in the running the points can't really sky rocket. Its all down to where and what you applied for. Dublin seems to be the busiest but i'm clasping at straws at the moment....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 D_25

hey guys! well done for passing..was my 2nd year applying and didnt pass the interview this year (id love to no my aptitude test score tho!) thought i did beter than last year so they must be stricter this year. disappointed but wat can ya do.there having no interviews next year, just aptitude test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

im sorry to hear that d 25,
    its my second year applying too, i didnt do as well as i had hoped, but we can try again next year!
    How do u know that there will be no interviews next year?

i went to a guy who gave advice on the aptitude test, like how to do well - thats why id love to no my score as well, i think i did good in that..musta just been the interview :( neway he told us that there changing it all next year, just havin aptitude tests..hes on the board as well so must be right. ya i might apply again next year, its just such a long process and then u dont even get anywhere!

• Advertisement

ya its the waiting inbetween stages that kills me, i didnt do any course like that, i couldnt afford it, maybe i should have!

im doing the health care assistant course in sept so that will keep me going till next year

has anyone applied to colleges to do the Nursing Studies 1 year course or has anyone done this course and thought it was worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

There is no way of knowing if you'll get a place or not, don't get down because of your points. If you don't get an offer in July then there's always August, don't give up hope just yet.

I passed & got 188 in the test, I am so glad that the wait is over, time to enjoy the sunshine. :)

nice 1! i just did pre nursing after i didnt get it last year (pretty much same modules)so just finished up in may- really enjoyed it. next year u can apply as a mature student and thru fetac! :) ya it was expensive but just said id do it, wasnt much use c-in as i didnt pass the interview. lol.

congrats Laydee! Your right - all we can do is wait - more waiting ha!

i just did pre nursing ithread. i enjoyed it neway, we did manual handling, first aid and work exp as a part of it and workin as a care assistant now so its always another option.

I heard the interview is being scrapped too. Don't know why they would do that. But i have to say this process has been killing me. Anxiety, no appetite, disturbed sleep. I think alot of it is the ridiculous wait inbetween sections. Now we gotta wait again until july 7th.

Guys i wouldn't count yourselves out of the running yet. 499 is lower than the 762 in the running last year. Out of that 499 i'd say 300-350 are applying in dublin. Just a feeling from the other boards. Everyone is applying for midwifry and for dublin.
    So all the other disciplines and universities are up for grabs. Some points may even come down,

I've applied to do the 1 year course as a back up! Looks like thats the plan for now anyway! I'm thinking it'll give me another insight into the caring profession and hopefully give me a bit of experience.

I've also heard the whole process is changing next year! Something to do with making it more practical. However this was just something someone told me not 100% about it!

Aptitude tests = boo!

smilerxxx wrote: »
    Guys i wouldn't count yourselves out of the running yet. 499 is lower than the 762 in the running last year. Out of that 499 i'd say 300-350 are applying in dublin. Just a feeling from the other boards. Everyone is applying for midwifry and for dublin.
    So all the other disciplines and universities are up for grabs. Some points may even come down,

Someone else mentioned this to me but places were also cut by 300 or something this year.

• Advertisement

Gotta agree with you there. Its a tough process. I heard the same thing and like you i'm not 100% either. I can't see how they could manage the amount of applicants without some way of filtering it. I mean you could have the IQ of a genius and fly through the aptitude test but you could have the personality of a cabbage. and cabbages are not good nurses LOL:D:D

ithread wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned this to me but places were also cut by 300 or something this year.

As far as I know, places weren't cut this year.
    All that happened last year, unless theres a link or something i've missed. All the news on ncc relates to the cutting of places in 2009. I could be wrong, if someone has the link could they post it up for me :D:D

you're right it was 2009! I was mixed up! This is what it says on the ncc website:

There are 44 programmes with a total of 1570* places in Nursing and Midwifery at pre-registration level:

* (There was a reduction of 310 places for 2009 intake as per HSE at 21 October 2008)

i dont have the link but i know for sure they were cut last year.
    Ive given up hope on getting a place, i think because the lowest score was raised that the points this year will rise.

I hope im wrong but i dont think i am.:(

god how pessimistic am i after getting!

oh they definitely cut the places in 2009 your bang on there!
    I think we could guess points until the cows come home though i just wish we could find out sooner rather than later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kay10

D_25 wrote: »
    hey guys! well done for passing..was my 2nd year applying and didnt pass the interview this year (id love to no my aptitude test score tho!) thought i did beter than last year so they must be stricter this year. disappointed but wat can ya do.there having no interviews next year, just aptitude test.

Hi got my letter today failed aswell im gutted to be honest but am more determined to try again next week, out of the 659 they interview how many passed do you know, did you to seamus to practice aptitude test?, and we will get our aptitude score in the post next week

Hi guys

So sorry you didnt get good news today. x x
    Out of 659 interviewed 499 passed
    Highest score was 204 lowest score was 156.
    There wasn't any breakdown of the aptitude test, so we don't know where we did well and where we could do better. I think they send that out seperately but im not sure.

Your right smiler, but i cant bare to get my hopes up and not get an offer and have a crying meltdown again, they're not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

I got 174 and passed the interview. More waiting to find out if I will get an offer now :(

• Advertisement

kay10 wrote: »
    Hi got my letter today failed aswell im gutted to be honest but am more determined to try again next week, out of the 659 they interview how many passed do you know, did you to seamus to practice aptitude test?, and we will get our aptitude score in the post next week

hey! i think out the the 659 that they interviewed 499 passed the interview and got scores ranging from 156 or sumthing to 204. ya i went to seamus, dont think we will ever find out our scores seeing as we didnt pass. sucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement