Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did u get a nursing interview?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

esween wrote: »
    hey all i only got 165 in test, am gutted, really thought i done better than that....but sure what can ya do... anyone apply to st. angelas college to do general nursing... hopefully the points will be low there this year, but aint holding out much hope.... if i get offered nuring somewhere i will prob be the oldest in the class as am 29... anyone else my age or near it?

What are you on about? You re a baby at 29. Im 34 and do not feel old goin back to college. Thats why we re called mature students :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WildCatXX

Hi all, I also failed my interview... panel d9, i know what you mean about the midwife being a vulture!! I came out knowing I could have done better, some of the questions they asked were so difficult to answer well... i have a place on a pre nursing course but really I am gutted.. midwifery is really all I want to do. I'll be applying again next year and am glad to hear the interview is getting scrapped. I know I'm good enough to do the course, the nerves slightly got the better of me during that interview... and i did pretty well in the aptitude so am interested to see what i got..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

WildCatXX, sorry to hear that you didn't pass the interview, when I left the interview I couldn't help but feel sorry for the person waiting to go into D9, the midwife on that panel was a weapon!
    I did a pre nursing course last year & it saw it as a great preparation for university. You will do great & then you can apply through FETAC entry also next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Martina05

Hi, can anyone tell me about a pre-nursing course & then applying through FETAC? Sounds very promising

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

The pre nursing course consists of some modules that you may do in nursing such as nursing studies, first aid, anatomy & physiology & then a few PLC modules such as communications & Health & Safety. You also do a work experience placement as a Healthcare assistant & when you are finished the course you will be qualified to work as a healthcare assistant in hospitals & through the nurse on call etc..

You need distinctions to apply through FETAC for the nursing course in university, you put both codes on your CAO, the mature for mature entry & the standard leaving cert code for FETAC entry.

Colaiste Dhulaigh have a higher education link with DCU nursing so a few of their best pre nursing students (10, I think) will be offered a place in DCU every year.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Laydee, thats the best news ever. I was totally depressed about only getting 157 in the written assessment this year. I wouldn't have done any better next year as my numeracy/maths is very poor, but at least I have a better chance by doing a nursing studies course. Delighted, didn't know such a thing existed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

I'm off to do a Nursing Studies this year as I don't think my points will carry me through - we'll all get there in the end! Are yous in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 WildCatXX

yep, i'm in dublin... wanted to get midwifery ucd.. next year please god

I'm in Cork, applied today for a nursing studies course so fingers crossed for next year!! It still seems an awful shame to me that people pass all the requirements & still don't get a place. I think if I'd known that I only got 157 in the written test, I wouldn't have bothered going to Dublin, put myself through all the stress & strain of the interview, then the disappointment that even though I passed both times I still wont get in. I suppose thats the joys of it!!!

I agree with you Martina05! Going through all the test and then the interview to find out you haven't made it is horrible! I've applied for the 1 year to but still holding hope until the last rounds of offers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

martina im in cork aswell, ive applied to the college of commerce for pre nursing and health care assistant course, have u applied in the college of com aswell?

I know its a pain in the ass that we all went to dublin for nothing but think of the experience we've gotten, whatever this job simulation thing is next year we'll fly through it compared to the horrible interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi all,

Please, please don't despair if you didn't get in this year. I didn't get in first time round either. :( But I did get in 2nd time applying and I was much more prepared for it!! (I'm not doing nursing but another health science course). So if you are doing a pre-nursing course, see it as a step in the right direction and come next year you will do twice as good this time as you will have more confidence and the drive will have increased too! :)

Larianne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lindalinda

Hi Everyone , and congratulations to everyone who passed.
    Im wondering Why everyone is so negative:confused:, Mabey Im Just being to positive but i only got 159 points in my aptitudem but im trying to stay positive that il get a nursing course ive applied for. I Did the pre nursing course for the last year and its great to give you an idea of what nursing will be like, but the chances of getting nursing out of it, is so slim, There will be a couple of hundred students from around the country with this pre nursing for only a small amount of places that allocated for fetac

• Registered Users Posts: 37 april99

Hi all! Apologies for invading your posts! I started nursing in 1999, back before it was diploma/degree programme. We also had to do aptitude tests & interviews for every hospital we applied for. It was torture, so I'm " feeling your pain" so to speak. Please don't lose hope for those of you who feel you didn't do as well as you wanted! Having worked in a good few hospitals since I qualified, I have come across a number of very capable people who didn't get directly into nursing. Most have gone on to do pre nursing courses. I really think that working as a carer in a hospital gives an excellent view of the type of work you'll be doing as a nurse, as well as being great peparation for interviews ( if they continue to do them ) Also, many agencies take on carers to work in hospitals if you can't get a full time job in a hospital. The very best of luck to you all, fingers crossed for July 7th ,
    April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Boo13

Hi everyone, this was my first year applying for nursing. I've been workin as a care assistant for the last 9 years!! I passed the interview and got 164 on the written test. I was very disappointed at first but then looked at the scores for the last few years and I'm a lot more hopeful, also I think (and hope!) that because a lot less people got through to this stage than last year that the points may go down a little or at least stay the same. My first choice is childrens and general in all the dublin colleges and then the general courses in the dublin colleges. Best of luck to everyone for July 7th! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi everyone,

Don't count yourself out!!! You might think 156 is low but **** its not! Last year the lowest score was 120 (I know that was from the 700 and odd in the running last year) but I believe you were called for an interview because your score was good enough! There's only 499 of us this year so its much less than last year. Thats a positive!!! They must have established the interviews from the scores. I have applied for psych in UL. I got 174 and i'm crossing all my fingers and toes for july 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Ok - so I'm counting down the days until 6am on 7th July. Feel sick with nerves. its been such a long and painful process and knowing that places are so tight its very stressful!!!
    So at the end of May I decided to apply to Glasgow Caledonian for Nursing. It was more of a 'lets see what happens'. Never put much thought into it honestly. So that was the end of May I made my application through UCAS...and low and behold I was offered a place yesterday. I mean there you go how non - complicated/stressful/quick was that????? I have accepted the offer and to be honest i don't think i'll get it here as i only got 162. I have family in Glasgow I can stay with for a while. The fee's are £1,800 in Glasgow compared to €7,000 approx here (this is my 2nd degree so I'm not entitled to free fees/grants).

This is more of a rant really but when you see how easy it is for even a non-UK citizen to get a course and then the system here??? !!! I just don't know...:rolleyes:

In saying that I'm excited about the challenge and can't wait!!!!! :D

Yep, applied to College of Comm & another nursing studies course in Macroom. Putting July 7th firmly behind me, had enough of waiting & hoping for one year!!! I've also applied for social care in CIT & i'm 15 points ahead of what was required in 2009 so I might scrape in.... Otherwise, not wasting one more moment worrying about it, there's always next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

Curlz wrote: »
    Ok - so I'm counting down the days until 6am on 7th July. Feel sick with nerves. its been such a long and painful process and knowing that places are so tight its very stressful!!!
    So at the end of May I decided to apply to Glasgow Caledonian for Nursing. It was more of a 'lets see what happens'. Never put much thought into it honestly. So that was the end of May I made my application through UCAS...and low and behold I was offered a place yesterday. I mean there you go how non - complicated/stressful/quick was that????? I have accepted the offer and to be honest i don't think i'll get it here as i only got 162. I have family in Glasgow I can stay with for a while. The fee's are £1,800 in Glasgow compared to €7,000 approx here (this is my 2nd degree so I'm not entitled to free fees/grants).

This is more of a rant really but when you see how easy it is for even a non-UK citizen to get a course and then the system here??? !!! I just don't know...:rolleyes:

In saying that I'm excited about the challenge and can't wait!!!!! :D

Good for you. If I did not have children I would be gone to the UK in a flash to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Curlz, did you not even have to go over for an interview? Just apply to UCAS online and wait??? It can't be that easy, can it?

• Advertisement

Hi Dilema,

No joke it was that easy.

I applied for Kings College in London & Glasgow. I was called for an interview for London before they would offer me a place but with Glasgow all I did was fill out the application. All the work for the application was done as in it was pretty much what I had given for my CAO application apart from a few other things. I rang the college just to make sure as I thought surely this can't be it??!! But it was!

If you are in the position to apply to the UK then i think you should go for it!!:)

www.ucas.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lily29

Hi Curlz,

Congrats on your news. I have 8 distinctions from a pre-nursing course and passed the written test but got no interview. I too applied for scotland and got an interview also for university over there last week. It is done so fair over in sctotland than this country. I feel very strong that Scotland has giving me an opportunity and this country just dont give a dam that people are willing to work in such an emotional and physical job and pay their taxes to the poxy government that we have in this country!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Hey all,

I too passed the interview. I had D9!!! Luckily for me the dark haired woman was taking notes on my interview and didn't say a word. The other lady was nice and smiled at me throughout the whole interview. The man started off ok but then was a bit sarcastic in his question asking and even rolled his eyes at me while I was talking to the other woman!!

I was convinced I had failed, I was a nervous wreck and didn't show my personality at all. I was over the moon when I got the letter saying I had passed. I couldn't believe it!!

I got 174 on the test, very pleased with that. I doubt it will be enough for my first choice but I will gladly take any of my other choices if I am lucky enough to get an offer.

I reckon scores will be very similar to last year. There are the same number of places and although any that had scores under 156 will obviously go up it doesn't mean the higher ones will. It all comes down to luck and who else applied for the same courses and whether they scored more.

Roll on July 7th and best of luck to everyone!!

Curlz, thats great. I'm delighted for you. Was just looking up Glasgow, and as much as I really want to be a nurse, I think uprooting my husband and two kids for 3 years is pushing it!! I even suggested I commute to Glasgo leaving them here, but funnily enough, he wasn't very keen!!! But congrats. Are you gonna take that even if you get a place here, or would you prefer to stay here if possible. I've just counted that its only 19 sleeps till d-day, 18 if you don't think you'll actually get any sleep the night before (as I do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Martina05 wrote: »
    Yep, applied to College of Comm & another nursing studies course in Macroom. Putting July 7th firmly behind me, had enough of waiting & hoping for one year!!! I've also applied for social care in CIT & i'm 15 points ahead of what was required in 2009 so I might scrape in.... Otherwise, not wasting one more moment worrying about it, there's always next year!!

Hi Martina05,

I had an interview in Macroom a few weeks ago and was offered a place on their pre-nursing course. The lady who runs its is really nice and she told me that she was involved in setting up the general/childrens integrated programme in UCC. She also said that she teaches the anatomy and Physiology module to degree standard, which would be great to have in advance of College. I came out of there feeling, oh well if I don't get nursing I will really look forward to coming here. Its in a lovely setting with a smaller classes than College of Comm. The College of Comm would be nearer to me but with traffic jams and parking I would probably have to leave an hour earlier in the morning to go to College of Comm. I'm hoping, fingers xxx that I won't need pre-nursing, General is my 1st choice, it was 171 points last year and I have 178. Hopefully you will get your 1sst choice, we may be in the same class :D If not Macroom is a great option.

J

Hi Jewell, 178 is an amazing score, well done, I don't think I'll be seeing you in UCC, I only got 157, but I'll try again next year. I only applied for Macroom last Thursday, I wonder if I'm too late to get a place there. College of Comm would be a total pain for m to get to, what with parking, traffic, etc, but they have a creche as far as I know, and I have a small baby so I'd probably have to do it there if I got a place.

Hi everyone, just having a look over all the posts. I didn't do to well in the aptitude test (156) and felt gutted but Larianne is right not to be so negative - you just never know what is around the corner!!!

I come from Scotland but didn't apply there as I can't imagine moving back home at the moment. The system over here is just so crazy! Good luck to all those bound for bonnie Scotland to do Nursing! Its making me slightly homesick! ha!

I'm gonna wait for D-day but not letting it upset me! Going to do the pre-nursing too and hopefully it'll give me more experience and confidence!

Cheers!

delama wrote: »
    Curlz, thats great. I'm delighted for you. Was just looking up Glasgow, and as much as I really want to be a nurse, I think uprooting my husband and two kids for 3 years is pushing it!! I even suggested I commute to Glasgo leaving them here, but funnily enough, he wasn't very keen!!! But congrats. Are you gonna take that even if you get a place here, or would you prefer to stay here if possible. I've just counted that its only 19 sleeps till d-day, 18 if you don't think you'll actually get any sleep the night before (as I do!)

Hi Delema,

If i do get offered a course here it will be a tough call as to whether I take it. Here I can live at home with my parents, friends around me, things are familar. Buuuut now that i have been offered the place in Glasgow im actually surprising myself at the excitment i have for a whole new start I guess. I am lucky as in I have some family there and I know my way around - a bit so its not totally new but being 26 (well not until tomorrow haha) and 'young free & single' im thinking feck it sure why not :rolleyes:....

I have to say now that the weight lifted has been unreal I didnt realise how tense I had been!!

Hi Curlz,

Happy Birthday!! I know what you mean. A new start, and its not even that far away!! You could be home quite regularly.
    Anyway, whatever happens, good luck. I'll be back on to post whether or not I get a place.
    Hope you have a great birthday - I love my birthday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fifi25

Boo13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this was my first year applying for nursing. I've been workin as a care assistant for the last 9 years!! I passed the interview and got 164 on the written test. I was very disappointed at first but then looked at the scores for the last few years and I'm a lot more hopeful, also I think (and hope!) that because a lot less people got through to this stage than last year that the points may go down a little or at least stay the same. My first choice is childrens and general in all the dublin colleges and then the general courses in the dublin colleges. Best of luck to everyone for July 7th! :)

Hey iv been workin as a health care assistant for almost 5 years this is my second year applying i got to the same stage as this last year but lost out coz my score wasn't high enough i got 155 last year. This year i got 161 was a bit disappointed but ill jus have to wait and see. Its awful waiting I hate it!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement