Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Minute Home Made Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe

Options
  • 07-05-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

• 1/2 cup water (125 ml)
    • 1/4 cup rice vinegar (60 ml)
    • 1/4 cup sugar (60 ml)
    • 3 tablespoons ketchup (45 ml)
    • 1 tablespoon dry sherry (15 ml)
    • 1 tablespoon soy sauce (15 ml)
    • 1/2 teaspoon chili oil (2 ml)
    • 1-1/2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water (22 ml)

Bring vinegar, sugar, water, ketchup, soy and sherry to the boil. Add cornflour mixture and boil, stirring, until thickened. Add to cooked meat and veggies

Ok, so it's not an authentic, from scratch recipe, but it is darn tasty and easy to knock up with stuff you just have lying around. However, I find it's missing something. It could be because I've left out the chili oil because I can't eat spicy food. Perhaps at some stage some of you wonderful Boardies might try the sauce and let me know what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Use chicken stock instead of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Its very similar to how I'd make my sauce...

For me, the major diff would be that I'd start by frying off some finely diced (not crushed) ginger and garlic, and maybe some onion in there too.

Also...if you have it lying around, try replacing some of the sugar with honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Great ideas! I'll definitely try adding some ginger and garlic. That may well give it the punch I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

OP where did you get your Rice Vinegar, I have not see it in any of the supermarket chains?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any of the Asian shops would have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

try 3 tble spoons of sweet chili sauce and soy sauce and two of honey one lemon juice it is fast and easy

Advertisement