Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HORI EX2

Options
  • 07-05-2010 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hori EX 2 going for 45 euros in Gamestop in Bray. Is it a good deal? Would it hold its value for resale if it doesnt suit me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

I just got the ps3 version (Tekken 6 bundle) fo 50 euro in game. It was a great deal considering the bundle was reduced from something like 150 euro. To be honest though, I wouldn't have bought the stick on its own for that price. Its got a square restrictor gate which is (apparently) not suited to 2d fighters, and the buttons feel kinda cheap. Overall its a perfectly good stick though.

Does anyone know if its easy to mod an octagonal gate onto one of these thigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I just got the ps3 version (Tekken 6 bundle) fo 50 euro in game. It was a great deal considering the bundle was reduced from something like 150 euro. To be honest though, I wouldn't have bought the stick on its own for that price. Its got a square restrictor gate which is (apparently) not suited to 2d fighters, and the buttons feel kinda cheap. Overall its a perfectly good stick though.

Does anyone know if its easy to mod an octagonal gate onto one of these thigs?

Your much better sticking with the square gate, its the standard for 2d fighting games. Most sticks use them.
    You may need to replace they joystick part itself to use an octagonal restrictor. I'm sure Kiki will know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Fnutkrumpler:
    You don't have an EX2, you have a new Hori wireless stick I think.
    Nelsonkoay@16.jpg

You can put in an octogonal restrictor using just a small drill bit (4mm?) and a screwdriver.
    Pretty much exactly like *this guide*.

It doesn't take that long to get used to square gate though; keep practicing ;)

@lazlo: don't think it'll really hold its value; I wouldn't buy a used one for more than €35-odd after 6 months usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Fnutkrumpler

Thanks for the advice guys, reckon I'll just stick it out with the square gate for the time being and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

Its got a square restrictor gate which is (apparently) not suited to 2d fighters

takes a while to get used to but it is the best way:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I switched to an octo gate and im much more comfortable with it. Maybe its just that i dont play charge characters i dont know. But its what im used to anyway, my brain is telling me the sf2 arcade and other fighting games i played in the arcade was octo-gate. So the square always felt really wrong.
    I may be totally wrong about the arcade.

You may be wrong -- if they were Happ/iL sticks, they would've been "gateless", i.e. the shaft doesn't hit a restrictor gate but rather the actuator itself was square-shaped.
    euro_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Is it that much of a mystery what sticks were used in arcades over here back in the day? Would be interesting to know for people like me who are only getting into stick and missed out on the irish arcade scene.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sisko wrote: »
    Is it that much of a mystery what sticks were used in arcades over here back in the day? Would be interesting to know for people like me who are only getting into stick and missed out on the irish arcade scene.

They just felt heavier and slightly more clunky than modern sticks to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Bat top ball stop square gate circle gate ? etc?

If you could mod a stick with old irish parts would yea? :pac:

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Bat top ball stop square gate circle gate ? etc?

If you could mod a stick with old irish parts would yea? :pac:

Ball top. I think octo, but bear in mind I didn't know what a square or octo was at the time. The really intriguing thing was the entire stick including the "stalk" was usually molded red plastic, usually with a cigarette burn in the molded plastic which rendered them quite likely to cut your finger open :)

Ball top. I think octo, but bear in mind I didn't know what a square or octo was at the time. The really intriguing thing was the entire stick including the "stalk" was usually molded red plastic, usually with a cigarette burn in the molded plastic which rendered them quite likely to cut your finger open :)
    Sounds like Happ/iL to me!
    euro.jpgcomp.jpg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sounds like Happ/iL to me!
    euro.jpgcomp.jpg

They were similar to that but ball top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They were almost certainly HAPPs in the old stand up cabinets, but most of them had a ball top instead of a bat. Even the old WW, CE and HF cabinets had ball top.

The Atari Expo in Tallaght had an official Tekken stand up cab that was Japanese and after the huge success the Alpha 2 cabs were, it got a sit-down, big Japanese Alpha 2 machine. This was converted to SF III and then back to Alpha 2 when nobody played SF III.

The sit down Alpha 2 cab was my first proper experience of Sanwa, square gate sticks and buttons and it was obvious to everyone how much better they were than the old cabinets.

Yeah I don't know where kiki's obsession with bap top comes from but the only bap top I can remember was on a kung fu master machine in skerries which also had the odd idiosyncracy of having it's buttons to the left of the stick, which interestingly meant left handed people couldn't play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

They were similar to that but ball top.

Could you be talking about this?

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-Multi-way-Joystick-black_422.html

The Suzo stick. Supposedly excellent for shmups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yreval wrote: »
    Could you be talking about this?

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-Multi-way-Joystick-black_422.html

The Suzo stick. Supposedly excellent for shmups.

That looks just like them alright.

Strange thing about the Suzo stick, but it's meant for metal (not wood) panels.

And yeah, I"m just a bit obsessive about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

That looks just like them alright.

They were the ones I remember. I also remember sticks that looked more like the sanwa bat top than the happ bat top.

kowal on SRK just confirmed that the Suzo sticks have been around since the 80s.

So yeah... anyone want one in their TEs? :p

*edit* Found a Suzo custom stick:
    general.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

is it just me or do those buttons look photoshopped?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

they didnt.. but now that you say it they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

back when ye all were probably playing metal gear solid 2 etc, when sf3 came to light during the ps2/xbox re release era
    and bat top became a standard for sticks in usa and ball top was a standard for japan. Arcades in the states only had bat tops. So happ were doing well then,

but obviously everyone wants to be like daigo etc, people realised ball tops had a better grip and execution, personal preference really but i heard ppl talk about it alot, which is why i got a hrap 2 after getting a sfac, saying that sf3 was well fast which is why ball tops suited me better, im sure id get accustomed to a bat tops now with slow paced sf4

Placebo wrote: »
    back when ye all were probably playing metal gear solid 2 etc, when sf3 came to light during the ps2/xbox re release era
    and bat top became a standard for sticks in usa and ball top was a standard for japan. Arcades in the states only had bat tops. So happ were doing well then,

but obviously everyone wants to be like daigo etc, people realised ball tops had a better grip and execution, personal preference really but i heard ppl talk about it alot, which is why i got a hrap 2 after getting a sfac, saying that sf3 was well fast which is why ball tops suited me better, im sure id get accustomed to a bat tops now with slow paced sf4

I don't think they ever went baptop here either. I was certainly way to comfy with ball top to bother adjusting by that point anywho.

When I get home I am going to split this into two threads so the OP can get their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I don't think they ever went baptop here either. I was certainly way to comfy with ball top to bother adjusting by that point anywho.

ball top is way more ergonomically friendly, i feel.
    I.e if you hold it like a wine glass.

Advertisement