Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Novice Build - help needed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CPU is quite hot and heavy (125W TDP!) and you'll only just get by on a CX400 thanks to it. Either downsize CPU or go up to a VX550 or similar for PSU and think of getting a CPU cooler to boot to deal with that hot beastie. Do not try to overclock that CPU with a CX400 in there! :eek:

Mobo is a pile of poo, nForce4 chipset is eleventy-seven years old now. Look for at least the MSI 770-C45 or similar. Again, don't even think of OCing that 125W CPU on a sub-€100 mobo that lacks a ton of heatsinks on the VRMs, it'll explode :o

Otherwise all seems good. The 2ms LG is a better deal for monitor due to quality, but it costs another €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thanks,

I've updated my selection slightly based on some of your suggestions on this and other threads:

CASE: Antec 200 - 41 euro

MOBO: MSI770 C45 - 62 euro

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 137 euro

PSU: Cosair 550 VX - 80 euro

RAM: Veritech 2* 2gb DDR3 1333 - 99 euro

HDD: Hitatchi Deskstar ITB 7200rpm - 70 euro

DVD: Samsung 22X DVD-RW - 20 euro

MONITOR: LG W2361V-PF 23" TFT Widescreen (2ms) - 170 euro

VIDEO: Radeon 5770 1GB - 134 euro

TOTAL COST = 812 EURO

You mentioned a CPU cooler in your previous post. Can you recommend one?

Overall, is this a machine that is likely to still be performing in 3 or 4 years.
    Obviously i expect i'll have to upgrade the memory and the video cards in time, but are the processor and the motherboard somewhat futureproof?

Completely unrelated question really, and not too important really, but does anyone know if i'll be able to play my XBOX360 on that monitor?

Ouch, just realised that once i buy windows 7, speakers, keyboard and a mouse i'll be looking at the guts of a grand. Might have to spread this over two or three paydays!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I was actually talking about this monitor, the one you have down is a larger, pricier model :o

As for CPU cooler, I was thinking of something like this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

On recomendation from here a while back I got a a coolermaster Hyper 212 for my Phenom 965 it is is doing a great job for a budget cooler, can be got for about 25 quid. The only quibble I would have is that it can only be mounted in one directional plane on an AM3 socket board because of the bracket shape but not a big deal for me anyway (Airflow options are front to back or back to front in my case which suits me just fine, and 95% or other people too I would imagine).

Alternatively people also seem to have nothing but good things to say about the Scythe Mugen 2 which can be had for about about 35

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/13_COOLERS/03_CPU/productdetails/10021605/Cooler_Master_Hyper_212_Plus_CPU_Cooler/RR-B10-212P-GP/default.aspx

Edit: Too slow :), Actually I have very similar monitor to that LG 22" above very nice piece of kit for that price. Seems monitors are one of the rare PC components where you can actually get a bit of value for your money these days.

OK, so i've switched to the 22" LG Monitor.

I'm nearly ready to go with the components i have, just a couple of last minute niggles/doubts:

1. Is it worth the extra fifty euro for the Core i5 750? Would it make much difference? EDIT: or what about going with the cheaper core i3 now, with a view to upgrading to i5/i7 in the future. What are the i3's like for games?

2. Motherboard - at the moment i'm going with the MSI 770-C45. Assuming i stick with the AMD CPU, are there boards, say, for an extra 50 quid or so that will offer a) noticeable improvement in performance, and perhaps more importantly b) better upgamd processors upgrade-ability in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

OK, so i've switched to the 22" LG Monitor.

I'm nearly ready to go with the components i have, just a couple of last minute niggles/doubts:

1. Is it worth the extra fifty euro for the Core i5 750? Would it make much difference? EDIT: or what about going with the cheaper core i3 now, with a view to upgrading to i5/i7 in the future. What are the i3's like for games?

2. Motherboard - at the moment i'm going with the MSI 770-C45. Assuming i stick with the AMD CPU, are there boards, say, for an extra 50 quid or so that will offer a) noticeable improvement in performance, and perhaps more importantly b) better upgamd processors upgrade-ability in the future.

Wrt the board all that MSI really lacks is a second PCIe slot, so the only upgrade path that will be cutoff is the option to crossfire in the future. I wouldn't see it as being a problem myself as any single card you are likely to likely to upgrade to in 1 - 2 years time will be signifigantly more powerful than adding in a second 5770 anyway, albeit a more expensive option.

The i3 doesn't do as well as as the low end quad such as the Athlon X630 in Multithreaded benchmarks, but would be more than adequate adequate for gaming right now. (Obviously no relection on the what is a fine chip, just that hyperthreading is no substitute for 4 physical cores).

To be honest either of your three options would be just fine so I wouldn't antagonise over it too much. I would see the 955 as being well able to manage any game for a good few years to come, but an i5 would have even greater longevity of course.

Personally I would either go with the i5 now, or stick with what you have. I don't really see the point in buying a chip you know you will be replacing in the short term. I recently ditched a Phenom X3 720 for a Phenom X4 965 after only about 8 months, and took a 50% hit on the 720. The more economically sensible route would have been to just buy the 965 first time around :)

I've just spent a lot of money!

I'm equal parts frightened, guilty and excited.

Advertisement