Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mumbai terrorist sentenced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

old_aussie wrote: »
    He's now been sentenced to death.

The terrorists left 166 dead.

Hope they hang him (low drop please).

He will be around for at least another 5 years, if not 10. He has a chance to appeal to various higher courts in India's extensive legal system, each of which has year or two backlog, and if rejected by all courts, he will have the chance to plead for mercy to the Indian President, who usually sits over it for a while before deciding either way. But good thing is that the Indians are following the proper procedures - and doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

positron wrote: »
    He will be around for at least another 5 years, if not 10. He has a chance to appeal to various higher courts in India's extensive legal system, each of which has year or two backlog, and if rejected by all courts, he will have the chance to plead for mercy to the Indian President, who usually sits over it for a while before deciding either way. But good thing is that the Indians are following the proper procedures - and doing the right thing.

He is been given 4 death sentence, president can only pardon 1 death sentence, if president pardon more than 2 death sentence on 1 person, he/she could be pulled and loose his jobs as "favorism" under indian constition. Kasab would still carry 3 death sentennce, however, he could still live few more years as this was not aa military court but civil court. Another similiar case Afjal is still manage to get 10 years added to his life as he was also given death sentence and no political want to upset muslim community from vote point of view, but having said that, muslims in India are not carrying any sympathy to Kasab compare to Afjal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

What's with all the faffing about??

I say, feed him a hand grenade sandwich in the morning..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I appreciate the sentiment of adding it to the original thread OP but in the interest of keeping things current I have snipped this to a new thread.

wes wrote: »
    New? Are you serious? Mumbai, has been attacked several times by Islamic extremists in the past few years and apparently one bomb attack, was even by Hindu extremists. Mumbai, is not a new target at all.

your political and geog knowledge creating some doubts:(

• Advertisement

I agree with you, there is probably no solution. Especially in India, where it isn't just extremist Muslims engaging in violence, but extremist Hindu groups as well. There violence, basically feeds each other, ensuring that both communities will be victims of violence for a very long time.

some other current affair knowledge is also under question!! would you call the noise created by some wan**** on st patrick day parade at dublin as IRISH EXTREMIST or CATHOLIC HARDLINES??? these ar just event of the modern society and not terrorism. What Kasab and other fellow groupd (AL Q, Tal) doing is terrorism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

What are you talking about? Are you denying the existence of Hindu extremists? How about watching some Indian News, there complaining about them all the time in India.

Malegaon blast: Hindu extremists picked up from Indore

There is one example of activity from such groups.

some other current affair knowledge is also under question!! would you call the noise created by some wan**** on st patrick day parade at dublin as IRISH EXTREMIST or CATHOLIC HARDLINES???

I made no such mention of the above, but we still have our problems here sadly:
    Viable device left outside Derry count centre
    these ar just event of the modern society and not terrorism. What Kasab and other fellow groupd (AL Q, Tal) doing is terrorism!

Wow, an amazing and absurd straw man arguement. You are talking complete and utter nonsense, and I find your denial of the existence of Hindu extremists to be laughable. The above link, is just one example, and there are many more, that is featured in the Indian media on a regular basis.

Then, there is the Gujarat riots, where Hindutva extremists killed 2000 people, but I am sure you would rather just ignore inconvient facts like that.

Oh and the Indian government aren't squeaky clean either:
    Thousands lost in Kashmir mass graves

The above is the kinda crap Saddam pulled, and the whole world condemned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you need to dig up a 2 year old thread just for that?
    last post
    01-12-2008, 15:23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

He's better off dead than rotting in Arthur Road Prison, a cesspit.
    He may skip the appeals process and go for martyrdom, seeing as he fluffed it the first time.

• Advertisement

Is there really much point in executing a guy who wants to die? Either way, he certainly deserves his punishment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is there really much point in executing a guy who wants to die? Either way, he certainly deserves his punishment.

Yes.

It's not just about punishing the guy. It's also about ensuring that the relatives of the 166 victims believe that the appropriate punishment has been delivered.

NTM

Yes.

It's not just about punishing the guy. It's also about ensuring that the relatives of the 166 victims believe that the appropriate punishment has been delivered.

Yes, and I don't disagree, but in this case, the guy wants to die in anyways. Doesn't seem like much of a punishmen to me, in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Given the choice between execution and a lifetime in an Indian jail as a known foreign terrorist, I'll take the death sentence everytime.

Doubly so when it means he becomes a 'martyr' along with the rest of the group responsible.

Lock him up for life. Let him have 40 years of hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yes, and I don't disagree, but in this case, the guy wants to die in anyways. Doesn't seem like much of a punishmen to me, in this case.

You miss my point.

In cases like this, the punishment to the accused almost becomes irrelevant. (Indeed, even in 'normal' death sentence cases where the guy doesn't want to die, the punishment is irrelevant: Hardly as if the guilty is going to have an opportunity to learn from the punishment and better himself, is it?) It is a matter of showing the Indian population that crimes of such a nature will, indeed, result in a death sentence as that's what the Indian population will demand. After all, sentences are generally a reflection of what the society thinks is appropriate, not what the guilty thinks is appropriate.

NTM

Hopefully this will also send a message to the extremist den across the border that when caught, they will be treated fairly, and then punished brutally - giving them less reasons to brag about their 'martyrdom'.

But more than anything, this whole incident hopefully taught Indians how vulnerable they are, and how painful the existing 'survival by numbers' thing that seems to be going on out there.

You miss my point.

In cases like this, the punishment to the accused almost becomes irrelevant. (Indeed, even in 'normal' death sentence cases where the guy doesn't want to die, the punishment is irrelevant: Hardly as if the guilty is going to have an opportunity to learn from the punishment and better himself, is it?) It is a matter of showing the Indian population that crimes of such a nature will, indeed, result in a death sentence as that's what the Indian population will demand. After all, sentences are generally a reflection of what the society thinks is appropriate, not what the guilty thinks is appropriate.

Well, if that what they want more power to them. Still think its pointless to execute a guy who wants to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Might stop more terrorists and their bagmen and apologists from getting too cocky.

The Indian nation needs justice seen to be done.

No harm in making the bleeding hearts think again, I would opine.

Too many of them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

They got rid of him this morning-guess more attacks on India will ensue...although he lost faith in his 72 virgins as he had filed a "clemency plea".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/mumbai-terrorist-attacker-executed-030255929.html

And it only took 2.5 years! Result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

I hope the Pakistani government get to the bottom of what is now a farcical investigation on their end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

brimal wrote: »
    I hope the Pakistani government get to the bottom of what is now a farcical investigation on their end.

I wouldnt be so hopeful. You're talking about a government who security forces assist the taliban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭brimal

I wouldnt be so hopeful. You're talking about a government who security forces assist the taliban.

I won't be holding my breath. It is a complete mess of a government.

Advertisement