Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first time house renter?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Myself and a few lads are going to be renting a house in the city for the summer all of us for the first time, most places are between 60 and 80 per person per week. What other extras should we expect to be paying as none of us have a blues clue. Would it cost much more with electricity, wastage, (TV licence? Or does the landlord pay that?) anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

If you are renting it for just the summer make sure you get a 3 month lease or else you may find ye'rselves not getting your deposit back. Food and the old faithfuls like toilet rolls and cleaning agents are the hidden costs, but basically your electric should be no more than 80/100 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

unless the prices states bill included......then you have to pay on top of your rent which will incl esb and heating, then waste and if you have tv subcription or internet ....my advice each put away 10 per week per bill and when one arrives you should be covered....as for tv liecence you need to buy this seperate too and dont forget food too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I was living in a house with 2 other lads. My rent was €280 per month. On top of that there was ESB, Gas and NTL (TV & Broadband) as well as food of course. Now with 3 lads living together the ESB was about €100-150 evey 2 months. Gas is about the same but during the winter, it could go up by €100. The NTL was like €50 a month.

The best way to cover the bills would be to put away a few quid each week or even just pay off €10 quid each a week towards the bills in the post-office/bank each week and before you know it, they will be paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

chanlizard wrote: »
    Myself and a few lads are going to be renting a house in the city for the summer all of us for the first time, most places are between 60 and 80 per person per week. What other extras should we expect to be paying as none of us have a blues clue. Would it cost much more with electricity, wastage, (TV licence? Or does the landlord pay that?) anything else?

Make sure that you don’t get all the bills in your name, ESB, GAS, tv/internet. Usually in these situations one sucker from the group gets roped into an Alpha type figure who sorts it all out but ultimately ends up back in boards exclaiming that all the housemates have vamoosed owing X,Y,Z.

Sort out what bills are to be expected and assign one person responsible for each, that way you’re all softly tethered to the property and will have to get the money off each other.

Also, if you do have all the bills in your name you’ll be forever chasing the rest of the occupants for money and will inevitably end up out of pocket yourself.

Advertisement