Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Manager of the Year is...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ugh, never IMO.

Alex McLeish.

plus Carlo Ancelotti could well have won a Double in 2 weeks time.

'Arry must be loving the hysteria around their 4th place finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done to Harry!!

Its the Barclays Premier League manager of the year so that would discount Hodgson straight away, McLeish and Ancellotti would be the other contenders.

They just had a segment on SSN where they interviewed lots of the managers about who they voted for in the LMA Manager of the year awards, I got the impression that it will be Hodgson just ahead of Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well deserved IMO, he has worked wonders with spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp. I would have preferred Roy to get it.

I also think why the rush in announcing it, same with player awards. Ancelotti could be a double winning manager in a couple of weeks and I think that would be worth rewarding in the guys first season in the EPL since Chelsea have never done it before.

Still well done Harry. great turnaround for spurs over the last while since he has taken over.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/7693113/Tottenhams-Harry-Redknapp-named-manager-of-the-season.html

Fulham haven't done all that well in the league this season - not badly, but nothing great.

Chelsea winning the league isn't that impressive, they have by far the best squad in the league.

Spurs getting 4th is fairly impressive. People would have had other teams favourites for 4th ahead of them, and they got it.

This is PREMIER LEAGUE manager of the year, so it is only the achievements of the managers/teams in the league should be taken into consideration.

Hodgson has a better chance of the LMA award, where the euro exploits will probably be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

What a load of tosh....a manager going after the double in his first season as manager doesn't get it while a manager who was outspent by City gets it....

Ancelotti has being robbed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

1 Mcleish
    2 Ancellotti
    3 McCarthy

Cant believe the hype over Harry. He's had a fortune to spend and already had a decent squad to start with.

Rednapp ?? LOL :pac:

Carlo Ancelotti may well have a double in a weeks time and Harry gets it for finishing as a qualifier for the CL.

The worlds gone mad ted.

Crouch for player of the year?

hitman79 wrote: »
    1 Mcleish
    2 Ancellotti
    3 McCarthy

Cant believe the hype over Harry. He's had a fortune to spend and already had a decent squad to start with.

a decent squad that was heading towards relegation when he took over. near relegation to CL in less than two seasons.

Ancellotti had the best squad in the premiership at his disposal - why is winning the league with the best squad an amazing achievement but Spurs getting 4th ahead of the biggest spenders in the league and the side that finished second last season, not?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rednapp ?? LOL :pac:

Carlo Ancelotti may well have a double in a weeks time and Harry gets it for finishing as a qualifier for the CL.

The worlds gone mad ted.

Crouch for player of the year?

Seriously, what the hell does the FA Cup have to do with it? The is PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGER OF THE YEAR. See the Premier League bit, it is a rather important indicator of what the judgement is based on (to be clear - it is not the FA Cup, not the League Cup, not the Champions League, not the Europa League)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If Hodgson had led spurs to 4th and gotton it I'd say we'd see a lot more people congratulating him ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

a decent squad that was heading towards relegation when he took over. near relegation to CL in less than two seasons.

Ancellotti had the best squad in the premiership at his disposal - why is winning the league with the best squad an amazing achievement but Spurs getting 4th ahead of the biggest spenders in the league and the side that finished second last season, not?

They were in the bottom 3 after 8 games when he took over. He got them safe pretty easily and the majority of managers in the premier league would have done the same with squad he had. It was purely down to the previous manager they were in the bottom 3.

Having spent heavily in the last 3 windows its no suprise he got them in the top 4 this season especially when he didnt have midweek european games to contend with. Added to that that Liverpool have been dire, Man City are a bunch of prima donnas, Villa always falter in the last 2 months and Everton had the worse injury list in the premiership and im not at all surprised that he got 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If Hodgson had led spurs to 4th and gotton it I'd say we'd see a lot more people congratulating him ;)

Roy looks like the universal Grandpa and is an overall nice fella - Harry on the other hand looks like a mafioso/Bassett hound - ya gotta love Woy like!! :)

Spurs were never going to get relegated though were they really? They had a shít start to the season, Harry came in and things started to turn around for them - I know he had an effect on the team but imo they had too many quality players to go down.

I firmly believe he's done a great job at Spurs - they're no longer a team of bottlers by the looks of things but wouldn't have him as manager of the year - I think A.M. at Birmingham has done a fantastic job tbf

Seriously, what the hell does the FA Cup have to do with it? The is PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGER OF THE YEAR. See the Premier League bit, it is a rather important indicator of what the judgement is based on (to be clear - it is not the FA Cup, not the League Cup, not the Champions League, not the Europa League)

Calm down, you seem to be taking this personally :pac: Harry?

Imo, the manager who wins the PL deserves the manager of the year award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A slap in the face to decent, honourable managers everywhere!

hitman79 wrote: »
    They were in the bottom 3 after 8 games when he took over. He got them safe pretty easily and the majority of managers in the premier league would have done the same with squad he had. It was purely down to the previous manager they were in the bottom 3.

Having spent heavily in the last 3 windows its no suprise he got them in the top 4 this season especially when he didnt have midweek european games to contend with. Added to that that Liverpool have been dire, Man City are a bunch of prima donnas, Villa always falter in the last 2 months and Everton had the worse injury list in the premiership and im not at all surprised that he got 4th.

So, Spurs SHOULD have got there based on the money they spent, but the cash spent by city has just made them a bunch of primadonnas, and the cash Villa spent (massive spending over the last couple of years) means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The EPL get a manager worthy of itself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

odd that people continue to talk about the near relegation bit, i know that emphasises how much of a good job you see Harry as having done thus far at Spurs but it wasnt this season.

So, Spurs SHOULD have got there based on the money they spent, but the cash spent by city has just made them a bunch of primadonnas, and the cash Villa spent (massive spending over the last couple of years) means nothing.

Man City are a joke outfit and will continue to spend vast amounts on new players while changing their manager every 6 months. I admit Villa have spent a fair bit but still considerably less than Harry.

Harry has done a good job but in my opinion he's not manager of the year. Surely you agree Mcleish has done a great job on limited funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

mike65 wrote: »
    A slap in the face to decent, honourable managers everywhere!

Wasn't it them that voted for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A joke of a decision to be honest. It's right up there with Giggs' Player of the season last year.

The thing is Harry is very friendly with the media, the media gloss over what they have actually "achieved" this season (ie nothing but a chance of a champions league group stage at a cost of approximately £160 million euro) so the general public have an image of "plucky" harry and "plucky" spurs.
    As I said on another thread, Harry has a history of getting relative success at a club having spent serious money, then disappear when something else comes along. Shortly after disappearance, the club implodes........ not saying that is going to happen but imagine spurs splurge another few million this season to try keep their top 4 position next year but dont actually qualify next year.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

if its not just based on the premier league exploits then why not hodgson or even avram grant, the ****e that clubs been thru, prob gonna be out of existence in a while(players not bein paid, other staff not bein paid, he himself rumours of workin for free and the amount of debt there in, administration and relegation) still in a chance of winning the fa cup.

he'd get my vote.(if pompey win);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Roy Hodgson has been doing a wonderful job at Fulham but they are most likely going to finish this season 5 places worse off in the league. While his European exploits have been outstanding they price he has paid in the league means he was never going to be Manager of the Year.

Alex McLeish has done a good job at Birmingham but they have been stuttering since Christmas with 18 points from 17 games. It not like they didn't spend money this year either having purchased £24 million in the transfer market.

The only challengers to Harry imo are Tony Pulis whose team look almost certain to finish 10th this season. Pulis did a wonderful job last year in keeping Stoke in the Premier League and an even better job this year.

Sam Allardyce took over Blackburn Rovers last christmas and guided them to safety when they were favourites for relegation. This season he was forced to sell Blackburn's last two players of the season in Roque Santa Cruz and Stephen Warnock. Allardyce has managed to get Blackburn most likely an 11th place finishing position while still making a £17 million profit in the transfer market. He has put together a team full of youth which means that he has planted the seeds for a very successful future also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sam Allardyce took over Blackburn Rovers last christmas and guided them to safety when they were favourites for relegation. This season he was forced to sell Blackburn's last two players of the season in Roque Santa Cruz and Stephen Warnock. Allardyce has managed to get Blackburn most likely an 11th place finishing position while still making a £17 million profit in the transfer market. He has put together a team full of youth which means that he has planted the seeds for a very successful future also.

Sam's performance has gone virtually unnoticed by the media, but he's definitely up there all right. Pity he tells all the teams he sends out to smash the opposition to bits, despite the fact he can get them playing some nice football he'll never get the high profile job he probably deserves because of it.

I'd still have McLeish up there though, money or no it's still not an easy thing to stay up in your first season, yet he did it so easy while got some amazing performances out that Brum team. If they didn't peak midseason he'd have been a shoe in for it. People point to Carson's millions but they forget Pulis spent over 15million last season and even more this season.

Have to say I think Moyes should be up there too. I know they never really got going proper in the race for 4th, but along with Rafa and Wenger (who had much better squads to begin with) he's the only manager who's had a positive net spend. These days there should be a mini-award for shrewdness transfer activities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Imo, the manager who wins the PL deserves the manager of the year award.

That's ridiculous. They do give medals to the manager for winning the league you know! The manager of the year award should be for the best manager in the league and that is not necessarily by any stretch of the imagination the manager of the winning team.

For arguments sake; imagine a team gets promoted to the Prem and finishes 2nd the following season (having not invested in the club significantly) behind a wealthy club with a huge squad who regularly fights it out for the title. You'd still give it to the winning team manager? Obviously that is a ridiculous comparison to make but it highlights the point that the winning manager is not always the best in the league. That said, only 2 managers have won this and not won the league - 'Arry (2010) and George Burley (2001). Both robbing SAF in the process.... see what I did there ;)

As much as I dislike his cheeky chappy style 'Arry has turned Spurs into a very good team. I thought his man management, in particular his favouritism of certain players, threatened to derail their season earlier but in fairness he got them firing on all cylinders in the final 11 games (won 9!!) beating Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc....

IMO he deserves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sam's performance has gone virtually unnoticed by the media, but he's definitely up there all right. Pity he tells all the teams he sends out to smash the opposition to bits, despite the fact he can get them playing some nice football he'll never get the high profile job he probably deserves because of it.

I'd still have McLeish up there though, money or no it's still not an easy thing to stay up in your first season, yet he did it so easy while got some amazing performances out that Brum team. If they didn't peak midseason he'd have been a shoe in for it. People point to Carson's millions but they forget Pulis spent over 15million last season and even more this season.

Have to say I think Moyes should be up there too. I know they never really got going proper in the race for 4th, but along with Rafa and Wenger (who had much better squads to begin with) he's the only manager who's had a positive net spend. These days there should be a mini-award for shrewdness transfer activities.
    For me Moyes and McLeish are at the opposite ends of the same boat. Everton got off to a very bad start and Birmingham have really went backwards in the second half of the season. Thats why I think both would not be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

eagle eye wrote: »
    For me Moyes and McLeish are at the opposite ends of the same boat. Everton got off to a very bad start and Birmingham have really went backwards in the second half of the season. Thats why I think both would not be considered.

If moyes had not have had such bad luck with injuries and if he had them playing like they are now Everton would be fourth I think and Moyes would be manager of the year, if they manage to hold onto all their players, and a few additions, r I reckon they will be challenging for 4th next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

People are using their dislike of 'Appy 'Arry to ignore the job he has done this season. I hate anyone with the last name Redknapp, but I can awknowledge magnificant job he has done this season.

LOL @ the suggestion it was no surprise Spurs got 4th (may even get 3rd still). Just LOL. A non-top four team has gatecrashed the party for the first time since Everton 5 years ago, and it was 'No Surprise'?

People harping on about how much money Spurs have spent, with money made from selling the likes of Berbatov and Carrick over the years by the way - are they deliberately ignoring the amount of money the teams around them are spending or what?

Fair Play 'Arry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

sprinkles wrote: »
    he got them firing on all cylinders in the final 11 games (won 9!!) beating Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc....

IMO he deserves it.

Redknapp had a fantastic end to his season and that alone good justify his manager of the year award. I do think hodgson was extremely unlucky to not get it. To have that kind of season with that squad is a remarkable achievement.

He did foresake some PL games for the europa league but the results he got and the length of time it took (10 months of european matches) is astounding. Excellence was shown in man management, transfers, coaching, keeping the players conditioned. He did an impressive job and really deserved recognition for it.... and a bloody nice chap by all accounts

101001 wrote: »
    Redknapp had a fantastic end to his season and that alone good justify his manager of the year award. I do think hodgson was extremely unlucky to not get it. To have that kind of season with that squad is a remarkable achievement.

He did foresake some PL games for the europa league but the results he got and the length of time it took (10 months of european matches) is astounding. Excellence was shown in man management, transfers, coaching, keeping the players conditioned. He did an impressive job and really deserved recognition for it.... and a bloody nice chap by all accounts

but it is PREMIER LEAGUE manager of the year - for the manager who has done most impressively in the premier league - cup and european comps should not come in to it. Hodgson has a great chance of the LMA award i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

There's no way I'd have picked Ancelotti anyways. He should be challenging for the Prem title with the squad he has and he could win it just a point ahead of nearest rival all coming down to the last day, not exactly something to blow you away is it? I mean very few were wanting Fergie to get it the last three years just on the basis that United won the Prem so why should that be any different for Ancelotti?

If Chelsea had wrapped up the league earlier and sailed home about 9 points clear then that would have been a fantastic achievement over and above what you might have expected from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I think Alex McLeish is undoubtedly MOTY for me. What he has achieved with his squad this year has been miraculous, far exceeding the achievements of Redknapp or Ancelotti imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

I think david moyes had another great year considering the injuries. Mick m carthy did great keeping wolves up. Harry redknapp had a great year also but would have to give to mc leish with the squad he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Mc Leish would have won except for the trail off in performances at the end of the season. Harry did a fantastic job to get them in the top 4. To say it was expected is ridiculous, they had a chance but Man City or Pool would have been favourites for 4th ahead of them. Pulis and Big Sam did well to grab mid table finishes. Mick deserves praise as well after keeping Wolves up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wouldn't give it to Ancelotti to be honest, very weak Premiership, and they stuttered past the line. They'll deserve the title if they win it as they'll have been the best team, but I don't think that makes him the best manager this season. Other managers have done a better job of achieving their club's goals, and some massively overachieved for their club, think Redknapp did that, probably deserved it, couldn't give it to Hodgson, Fulham look like they'll finish bottom half in the league, McCarthy has been aided by having 3 of the worst teams in Premiership history, McLeish maybe.

For me, Pulis though. The only one I'd give it to over Redknapp, and only just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CSF wrote: »
    Wouldn't give it to Ancelotti to be honest, very weak Premiership,

or stronger Premiership than ever.

personally, i think the fact all teams can beat each other, means it was a tougher Premier League to win than ever.

winning the League, with two or three teams on record points, would have surely meant the Premiership as a whole would have been weaker?

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    or stronger Premiership than ever.

personally, i think the fact all teams can beat each other, means it was a tougher Premier League to win than ever.

winning the League, with two or three teams on record points, would have surely meant the Premiership as a whole would have been weaker?
    Yeah all around probably a stronger Premiership, but their competitors were weaker, Ronaldo's loss was the key factor. Man United would probably have won it at a canter with him in there. Hard to fault Ancelotti like, he is going to win the league, doesn't matter if he does it by 1 or 20 points, but I don't think he has achieved his objectives as excellently as some of the ones I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

in my opinion harry has done great things with spurs this year, but i think excluding the game with chelsea i would have given it to Tony Pulis, he's done really good with his squad for most of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Should of been Roy without a doubt. Fair enough spurs were in the relegation spot when Harry took over but he spent millions.

Roy took over a very poor fulham side constantly battling relegation and has now made them into a solid premiership team who are now in the europa league final. Hasnt spent that much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

joe123 wrote: »
    Should of been Roy without a doubt. Fair enough spurs were in the relegation spot when Harry took over but he spent millions.

Roy took over a very poor fulham side constantly battling relegation and has now made them into a solid premiership team who are now in the europa league final. Hasnt spent that much either.

No way Hodgson should have won it. They've performed poorly in comparison to last season, and are 5 places worse off. Europa League doesn't figure in the criteria here.

but it is PREMIER LEAGUE manager of the year - for the manager who has done most impressively in the premier league - cup and european comps should not come in to it. Hodgson has a great chance of the LMA award i reckon.
    That has got to be Hughton surely or Hill from Rochdale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

in my opinion harry has done great things with spurs this year, but i think excluding the game with chelsea i would have given it to Tony Pulis, he's done really good with his squad for most of this year.

or to rory delap...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I think at the very least for what he has done Roy should get a Special Merit Award from the PL or FA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Justice :)
    Roy Hodgson wins manager of the year award to cap Fulham's success

• Fulham manager wins 'by biggest margin ever'

Fulham's Roy Hodgson has been named as the manager of the year by the League Managers' Association.

Hodgson has been recognised by his peers after steering the Cottagers to the Europa League final for the first time in their history as well as taking the London club to 12th in the Premier League on a limited budget.

Fulham, who also reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, will have played 63 games this term after their prestigious clash with Atlético Madrid having started their European campaign last July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

fair play to him. seems like a sound fella.

Advertisement