Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday Spin, 8 May 2010

• 07-05-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking 10:00 Joe Daly's for a moderately long spin* around Wicklow (150-200km.) There will be turn back points for those wanting a shorter spin. Aim to be back by 17:00-18:00 or so.

*some are doing a 400km jaunt tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm looking for c. 4 hours. What route had you in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

uberwolf wrote: »
    I'm looking for c. 4 hours. What route had you in mind?
    I was thinking something involving heading towards Laragh and then over Shay Elliot/Slieve Maan. If we went a relatively flat route as far as Laragh that would be a turn back point for 4 hours, if we went over Sally Gap to Laragh Sally Gap would be a turn back point for 4 hours.

I went over Sally from the city centre last week (glencree route) and had to add some meandering around blessington back roads to make up the time.

That said, you know the roads better than me, and I've c. 25 mins out to Dundrum?

edit: or is that Laragh then Sally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I may be up for this one blorg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Won't be involved in this, but ... you might watch out for the North wind. Could be tough on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

In. I hope this is going to be as tough as you say Blorg!

fvck it, we can figure out the logistics later. In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'm in. Can't do the 200k but well up for a good leg breaker over the mountains.

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I'm in. Can't do the 200k but well up for a good leg breaker over the mountains.
    That's the spirit, we will get you to 100km at which there is a turn-back point.

blorg wrote: »
    That's the spirit, we will get you to 100km at which there is a turn-back point.
    you underestimate my (girlfriend's) willpower

• Advertisement

General idea 180km

All the hills in the first bit and a pretty smooth run home.

Um... carlow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

lol @ 'general idea' ... best of luck to the followers ;)

I'll probably do A-B-C-Home, just in it for the mountains, not looking for distance. Who knows, Blorg might not even stop until he hits Cork (anyone else and you might think I were joking).

superforecast_uk_ireland39.png

Confucius say: he who chooses the route must do all the work into the headwind on the way home.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Um... carlow?
    Stuck that in, in case anyone was hungry. There is always food in Carlow. Have it all in my GPS now so no-one should get lost, as long as they are cycling fast enough.

OK, based on the predicted windspeed posted by Tom I will not be following this route but rather leaving at 9am and cycling direct to Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Would love to, but up doing the Sean Kelly An Post 160 thingumejig up in Sligo this weekend...

If anyone wants to join me, 9am from Sandford Church and I have a nice backroads route all the way to Durrow (@~100km.) I'll be continuing on to Cork on the old N8, others could turn around at that point. Stadbally would be a previous good turn-off point.

If anyone wants to join me, 9am from Sandford Church and I have a nice backroads route all the way to Durrow (@~100km.) I'll be continuing on to Cork on the old N8, others could turn around at that point. Stadbally would be a previous good turn-off point.

I'm pretty sure you are joking, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

you offering a lift to cork ??? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I did Thurles-Dublin last weekend : miserable weather.
    Rain and breeze were torrential heading northwards across the Curragh
    Nice 86 mile spin.

Couple of things if you're planning Dublin-Durrow
    : there are lots of roadworks at present between Portlaoise and Cullahill.
    So traffic is particularly heavy around Durrow/Abbeyleix/Cullahill.
    Not sure if they're going to be working the weekend (by-pass is being prepared).

I not sure he is joking actually, and I have no interest on going on half a transnational, or going to Durrow.

I suggest that those of us who are still on for an assault on the mountains stick to plan A and meet as planned at 10 in Dundrum.

Any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hey -alarm didn't go off so I've missed the 400, be happy for long day ion hills. Have big bag on bike and all. Will head over for 10:00 Luas Bridge or is it Joe Daly's?

Heading shortly. Have Blorg's route directions printed - we up for this nice long run? I need distance anyway so happy to do it.

See soon.

I'm up and eaten so I'm going head off now to make the most of it.

I'm still in for 10 assuming there are other folk about.

I'm looking at that wind and second guessing the direction I should be heading in - don't fancy a head wind all the way home...

Ok so, I am resisting the temptation to head back to sleep and head out later, I will be under the bridge for 10. Fingers crossed this wind isn't too bad.

• Advertisement

HTFU boys, it's only a bit of wind ....

Just back from 110km and the head wind was very strong ... the sun was shining though and that was quite pleasant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Wind. Everywhere. Came down one hill travelling due North. Wind in my face.
    Then came down another hill due south. Wind in my have and at my right shoulder.
    What gives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Damn you niceonetom for planting the seed in my head for doing multiple climbs up to the viewpoint. Climbed each side twice before I got bored and went home.It equated to 40k with 1061m climbing.Used Mount Venus road as a link between both sides. Your x5 each side I'd say is quite doable,just mind-numbingly tedious.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/39294

Good spin today. Myself, Cadex and the half-bike, half-man that is Blorg headed off towards Carlow via somewhere, stopping in Castledermot for lunch. The speed up to this point was over 30 km/hr thanks to the tailwind, so it was slightly worrying that we would be heading home into it. Quite fortuitously we found a great little cafe with real character sandwiched (a pun?) between all the moldy old pubs. If you are ever cycling out that way, I suggest you try it!

Headed back towards Hacketstown before tackling Slieve Mann and the Shay Elliot. Cadex was flying and myself and Blorg were left to sprint it out at the top of each climb for 2nd place. It finished 1-1, mainly because I felt sorry for him after all the work he had done. I even told him I wasn't going to go for it, so anything he says is a lie. A LIE.

Stopped in Laragh for a coffee break, the sun was dipping and it was getting colder but the chat was good. Home via Djouce (watch out for loose chippings after Ballinastoe!) and Enniskerry. No idea of distance, I need to get it from Blorg, but it took all day. Not in the bad way of "my day is wasted" but a really enjoyable day out on the bike. I wasn't really able for a lot of it, which was surprising as I feel my form is better this year, but my body seems to shut down at the thought of a long spin and hides all my energy from me.

Oh, the cafe (for everyone except Tom, until you join!): The Mad Hatter Cafe

For Tom: Boo!

Route today attached. Good spin with DirkVoodoo and Cadex. 175km for me, I think Cadex will make 200. Meant to go through Kilkea but the new M9 motorway got in the way. Lunch in Castledermot (thank you Cadex) and on through Hacketstown and over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliot. 31km/h out to Castledermot but soon dropped as we faced hills and headwind; still managed 26 overall. Wasn't actually so bad on the way back as the mountains sheltered us from the wind; it was only really windy on the tops and descents rather than the climbing. Very nice weather, slightly sunburnt. Hope to pop out tomorrow to see the Shay Elliot race; someone had helpfully painted "He likes the cock ->" on the road ascending so you can get a nice picture of your chosen cyclist.

Did you spot the 5 star milf in Laragh?

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Did you spot the 5 star milf in Laragh?
    If that means Moulton I'd Like..., then yes, I was eyeing that one up quite intently. Otherwise no, I'm afraid I missed it. You should really point these things out at the time.

th_2010-05-08_01.jpg th_2010-05-08_02.jpg th_2010-05-08_03.jpg th_2010-05-08_04.jpg th_2010-05-08_05.jpg th_2010-05-08_06.jpg th_2010-05-08_07.jpg th_2010-05-08_08.jpg

th_2010-05-08_09.jpg th_2010-05-08_10.jpg th_2010-05-08_11.jpg th_2010-05-08_12.jpg th_2010-05-08_13.jpg th_2010-05-08_14.jpg th_2010-05-08_15.jpg th_2010-05-08_16.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Hi lads,

I'm just reading through the thread and looking at the photos added up. It looks like great fun. I'm a complete begineer. I have a pretty good new racer bike I bought a few months ago. I get out 2 or 3 times a week. I generally just cycle around phoenix park but I would love to broaden my horizons! Also; it can also be a touch boring cycling on my own. Can you please advise on essential items I would need before I join in on one of the cycles as I'm a complete begineer. I would love to join yee guys some day for one of the short trips to start of.

Can you please advise on essential items I would need before I join in on one of the cycles as I'm a complete begineer.
    The main thing you need is the legs. Build it up gradually, 10% more a week is advisable. Enter some sportives- these are fun group (up to 3,500 cyclist) rides over distance which are non-competitive. Joining a cycling club is a good idea- they generally bring beginners up to speed over the autumn/winter. There may also be Boards beginner spins that don't go quite so far so fast- there were more of these last year but maybe someone can step up to organise one. Why not put up a post yourself suggesting a Boards beginner spin? I'd be happy to help with route advice. Try heading up the Dublin mountains- killer very tough climbs up Stocking Lane/Cruagh Road to the Kilakee Viewpoint and all within 10-15km of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

th_2010-05-08_09.jpg th_2010-05-08_10.jpg th_2010-05-08_11.jpg th_2010-05-08_12.jpg th_2010-05-08_13.jpg th_2010-05-08_14.jpg th_2010-05-08_15.jpg th_2010-05-08_16.jpg

Blorg at first glance thers a pic that looks like dirk got his head stuck in his back wheel lmaoooo

the bridge at the bottom of the shay elliot gives ye the heebeejeebees when you go the other way when you build a bit of speed

• Advertisement

levitronix wrote: »
    the bridge at the bottom of the shay elliot gives ye the heebeejeebees when you go the other way when you build a bit of speed
    You can get quite a bit of air at 70km/h over that bridge, 700x25c tyres are a godsend. First time I went over it I was "holy fúck wasn't expecting that", subsequent times I have been trying to get the speed up for the jump.

th_2010-05-08_13.jpg

I can't believe you took a photo of me in my moment of weakness! Could have been worse, you could have carried out your threat about taking one of me ahead of that arrow painted on the road. What would the milf have said?

Very nice photos btw, I think I need to adjust my cleats I look like a duck cycling a bike.

levitronix wrote: »

Not far off, I was close to banging my head off it in frustration. I struggled with my chain for a while as it popped off the largest sprocket and got properly wedged between cassette and spokes. Nearly came a cropper too as the road was going up and I couldn't even freewheel. When you have a mechanical and a freshly lubed chain that you stupidly forgot to wipe down, white arm warmers and finishing kit suddenly don't seem like such a great idea :(.

EDIT: Just added up the numbers based on Blorg's distance: ~ 180km for me, boo-ya, 2-1! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Dirk: can you get a pie plate in the colours of the Italian flag?

@dirk: did the assos help at all? and for the love of god .. stop looking at the women in Larragh and get yourself one. It would be much healthier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@dirk: did the assos help at all? and for the love of god .. stop looking at the women in Larragh and get yourself one. It would be much healthier.

Yeah Dirk. Get yourself back to laragh and bag that milf.
    Yummy mummy type or cougar. We need details and pictures.

Apologies for not making it to Dundrum - a combination of puncture and tube installation/patching incompetence left me at the side of the road in kilmainham for about 45mins. My repair job was just about good enough to get me home with enough air in the tyre to stop me riding the rim and no more. Looks like I missed a good spin.

@tax man - I did get out later in the day and did a few hill repeats of my own (when were you there?). I did 5 (3x Stocking and 2x Edmondstown). It's very important when doing hill repeats that you go all the way to the bottom for each one HERE. Cutting across Mnt. Venus is clearly cheating! I registered a little over 2000m in my 95 km spin, so that pretty good I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

niceonetom wrote: »
    @tax man - I did get out later in the day and did a few hill repeats of my own (when were you there?). I did 5 (3x Stocking and 2x Edmondstown). It's very important when doing hill repeats that you go all the way to the bottom for each one HERE. Cutting across Mnt. Venus is clearly cheating! I registered a little over 2000m in my 95 km spin, so that pretty good I reckon.

I hit the road at 3pm. The reason I didn't go any further down was things just get messy down below,what with traffic and junctions. I had a nice mainly car free day by not going any lower,also any further down the road and I'm just a bit too close to my hall door.:D

Good meters for the mileage Tom.

Don't know about you but I was getting some strange looks from other cyclists. I'd pass them up at the car park and I'd head down one side and then I'd pass them again as they descended the opposite side as I started another climb and you'd see the "hang on didn't I just see you..." look on their face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Fantastic spin out from Dundrum, into Kildare, and Carlow before swinging back into Wicklow and home. Met Blorg and Dirkvoodoo at Dundrum and heard that NiceoneTom wouldn't be going (unfortunately had a puncture on the way).. The three of us headed on the route out to Tallaght, Embankment, Saggart, Punchestown, Kilcullen, Castledermot where we had a lovely stop in a nice cafe ('Mat Hatter Cafe' - good range of food too and they took a picture of us for their web/ Facebook page!), Hacketstown, before heading up over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott, Dirkvoodoo had a chain jump problem at the bottom of Slieve Maan of all places (see Blorg's photo - it isn't that he caught his excellent hair in his chain!). As a result, he was without the lowest gear for the hills (ouch!). The wind was pretty harsh at the top but superb descents followed, on the way to Laragh where we stopped for another quick cuppa (and more cake for the Blorg engine). Speaking of the Blorg engine, at one point he appeared to drop something which turned out to be a spark plug....It's possible it was just something his tyre threw up but I'm not sure it wasn't a spare for some engine he has hidden....Sitting in the sun again was a nice treat. Then up through Roundwood, Ballinastoe (long section of gravel and feck all tar, what's the story there?), over Djouce, Enniskerry, Kilternan, Dundrum, East Link and home to Artane. Fantastic weather and a good laugh for the day. This was a great 'Plan B' for the New Ross 400 which I slept out (!). Must say I was tired enough at the end though which was a little worrying. We'd spent a lot of time on the first half to Castledermot going pretty hard and had an average to that point of over 30k/h (91k on my clock) and of course the cake and mountains slowed us on the way back, still managing 26.5 in the end. Anyway a great day, pity more of the Boardies weren't here but it was grand with the three. Advice for anyone travelling second behind Blorg to do some of your own observation of the road ahead (and shout out the holes etc.) as he does get a bit stuck into his Garmin and sometimes misses things ahead... If it's possible to have a 'good' front wheel puncture, I did today, as it was on a nice flat country road and we sorted it out while chatting in the sun (much better than flying down a hill or in the rain). Thanks Blorg for the Photos - deadly. Like the one of me munching the banana - classy!
    Stats for me:
    Distance: 199.8k, Cycling Time: 7:32:56, Elapsed: 09:20- 20:45, Max: 70.5k/h, Ave: 26.5 k/h
    Some pics:

@dirk: did the assos help at all?

Yes, I highly recommend them. Probably still a little overpriced but I had no discomfort all day. I said to Blorg it felt like my butt had been hit by a local anaesthetic. I could feel the saddle, but it was a dulled sensation.

They were more comfy the further forward I leaned, so riding in the drops was super comfy. Strangely, when I sat up I felt like the chamois was hugging me so well I was being wedgied, but you don't need to stand up too much when wearing them.

@Lumen: Are you implying I am a Fred?

• Advertisement
Advertisement