Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer outlook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »
    I know Kenring predicted the rains to come in mid July and the last two weeks of June to be settled and fine but it increasingly looks like from 22nd and 23rd June the weather is going to breakdown. I thought myself maybe 24th or 25th June but models are showing a Low planted over or near us from 22nd. Who knows this might be back to the Kenring model by tomorrow but I dont want Summer to end. I was getting used to burnt grass.

The last low that crossed Ireland brought little to no rain here so I'd not be surprised if the next system did the same. My rain total so far this month is 12.6mm which is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The last low that crossed Ireland brought little to no rain here so I'd not be surprised if the next system did the same. My rain total so far this month is 12.6mm which is disgraceful.

Hang your head in Shame with that rain total DE
    but mines only 6.3mm though rain gauge was dodgy
    at start of month so this could be as "high" as 8.0mm:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all next week is looking great apart from wednesday says met eireann, 20-25C for next weekend, hope it turns out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Bring on the water shortages.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone have the pressure charts for summer 1995?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Min wrote: »
    Bring on the water shortages.....
    hose pipe ban on the way in clare next week if dry conditions continue i believe. this notice was put out last week as a precursors to this.

clare had too much water in november and now too little 8 months later.

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2010/06/16/clare-county-council-announces-urgent-water-conservation-measures/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Jet stream is all over the shop. Not that im complaining.

jetstream_norhem_00.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

mike65 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the pressure charts for summer 1995?

Would love to see weather charts for the summer of that year....heatwave from the 19th of June I believe all the way to September. 30c most days in the mid-west region.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    hose pipe ban on the way in clare next week if dry conditions continue i believe. this notice was put out last week as a precursors to this.

clare had too much water in november and now too little 8 months later.

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2010/06/16/clare-county-council-announces-urgent-water-conservation-measures/

I'm surprised there is not more talk about water conservation at the moment.
    You know they will talk about it when the water is scarce...

AntiRip wrote: »
    Would love to see weather charts for the summer of that year....heatwave from the 19th of June I believe all the way to September. 30c most days in the mid-west region.

Yeah, around 30C to 31C a lot of the time and I remember there was a rare thunderstorm that summer that broke out in Tipperary that had a tornado in it.

A lot of grass burnt by the sun that summer, remember a lot of water had to be brought to the cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

AntiRip wrote: »

Yeah was not a bad summer overall.

117526.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we had loads of rain in the east of Ireland last week up to last sunday so I think at least here the gardens are fine without rain for a while to come yet. I know in the west they did not get the days of rain that we got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Gonzo wrote: »
    we had loads of rain in the east of Ireland last week up to last sunday so I think at least here the gardens are fine without rain for a while to come yet. I know in the west they did not get the days of rain that we got.

Only had a few heavy showers here last week, growth becoming restricted now, rivers the lowest they have been in about 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

was going to take pics at Rosses Point today coz the grass is burnt and dead. Longer grass has continued to grow some due to its shading of the ground beneath it.

Garavogue River is going to turn into a pedestrianized area if no water falls from the sky soon. Might not be such a bad idea. I believe they do something like that in Seville. Seville! Sligo! no difference much except that Sligo is slightly more beautiful.:)

Fixed my rain gauge on 2nd of June but still dont know if it working correctly because the rain to test it has not been there. In fact we have not had more than 15mm in a single day since April 5th. Looking at my 100 year weather history book this year has been an exceptional one so far in the West. Dont mind 1995 if things dont change soon 1976 could be mentioned though that drought started in 1975.... so could this dry period just be a precursor to 2011 or will thunder roll?

Sunburnt so going to cool off now before the sunstroke makes me write a complete essay on the topic.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I thought I read a snippet in the paper last week about an "Azores High", which generally indicates a long, hot summer. Can anyone confirm or repudiate this?

Well the "Azores High" is the key and right now it extends up as far as the North Sea from the Azores region and for me it starting to have that fixed look to it, which is why I wondered if anyone had charts from 1995 which was the last time high pressure took root and hardly shifted for about 3 months.

9 day chart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I dont have much interest in the science bit but I can I just say how ****ing happy I am that we are having what looks like a decent summer:):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I dont have much interest in the science bit but I can I just say how ****ing happy I am that we are having what looks like a decent summer:):):):):):):):)
    Only another 2 and a half weeks of it - so make the most of it!
    www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Kenring wrote: »
    www.predictweather.com

full of the joys of summer aren't we.

If your right then you have another convert - if not I'll happily rub your nose in it. Fair deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

www.predictweather.com[/QUOTE
    what are yo expecting after 2 and 1/2 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

km79 wrote: »
    www.predictweather.com[/QUOTE
    what are yo expecting after 2 and 1/2 weeks?
    Some big dollops of rain around the new moon, 10th-14th, that may bring flooding. This lovely sunshine may only last till the end of June, then quite cloudy through July. The sun returns in August, but apart from odd days that reach 20C the heat will have gone.
    www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

as long as its not as wet as last 2 yrs ill be happy . i can handle cloud but not constant heavy rain in the summer:mad:

I hope to god those predictions are wrong last thing I want to see is rain between now and September. 2 and a half weeks away is along time away in weather terms. Unfortunately next weekend is not looking as good as they said it would on met eireann during the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

So glad to hear you say that Ken, I think I am one of the few people that hates all this humidity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Elmo5 wrote: »
    So glad to hear you say that Ken, I think I am one of the few people that hates all this humidity!
    Humidity?

Its a very fresh breeze out there, maybe things are nastier inland. Kilkenny/Carlow stinks in a decent summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Humidities are lower inland in this setup. 36% was recorded along with 24.2c today at 4pm and it felt bliss.

I would be happy to see some rain. The land needs it and we don't want to hear about water shortages......

Some places have only received about 60% of their normal rainfall so far this year. Every month the rainfall totals have been below normal.

Let's be singing in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Min wrote: »
    I would be happy to see some rain. The land needs it and we don't want to hear about water shortages......

Some places have only received about 60% of their normal rainfall so far this year. Every month the rainfall totals have been below normal.

Let's be singing in the rain.

The latest models seem to be hinting that the Atlantic may start kicking itself back to life as we head into July:

117682.gif

To unnervingly far out to be anyway certain at this early stage though. We could really do with a few days of heavy, warm rain at this stage. Was driving out the country today and while the fields are still green, they seriously lack that usual June lustre. If it rains everyday for the rest of the year I don't think it would bother me. :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

If it rains everyday for the rest of the year I don't think it would bother me. :).

Be very careful of what you wish for. :eek:

Advertisement