Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer outlook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

More sun for me please. I've enjoyed this summer so much so far. And the moon is the brightest I've ever seen it this evening. Absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Moon - no sign of it anywhere! Clouded over quite a bit here in the midlands - wouldn't be surprised at all if a drop of rain fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I went out for a quick flight around Meath at about 5pm this evening and although it looked like a nice day on the ground, the boundary layer turbulence was non stop. Plenty of thermals there, coupled I'm sure with the sea breeze circulation. To my east (up past Drogheda) was a large bank of mist and possibly fog, I didn't go close enough to see it better.

I didn't have the time to climb above the ~4000ft boundary layer into the free atmosphere but it would have been dead smooth up there. I hope for plenty more days like today to try it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What kind of animal would wish for rain every day?:eek: Have you no sunny gene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    Be very careful of what you wish for. :eek:

Looking at the latest yr.no (ECMWF) rainfall forecast, it looks like June is going to finish extremely dry here, just like every month, bar April, in this God foresaken year.

My daily rainfall totals this year up to today:

117697.jpg

Only notable wet spell was early days of April when over a month's worth of rainfall fell in the first 7 days, but the rest of the month was extremely dry, as it was before, and is since. The last thunder I heard here was in November. This will just not do at all!!!!!!

Payback is long, Long overdue! :D

Su Campu wrote: »
    I went out for a quick flight around Meath at about 5pm this evening and although it looked like a nice day on the ground, the boundary layer turbulence was non stop. Plenty of thermals there, coupled I'm sure with the sea breeze circulation. To my east (up past Drogheda) was a large bank of mist and possibly fog, I didn't go close enough to see it better.

I didn't have the time to climb above the ~4000ft boundary layer into the free atmosphere but it would have been dead smooth up there. I hope for plenty more days like today to try it out!

Must be great to be able to go for a flight at random like that! A great way to see the country. I'd love to be able to do that but I am terrified of flying at the best of times. I know if I took charge of a plane I would probably start panicing and end up crashing into a school full of kids or something. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The drought conditions in east Galway are a response to all the prayers said for deliverance in November 2009 when the self same areas experienced their greatest flood in living memory...or beyond. Now people will give out to Jebus for listening too hard :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it seems the hot sun is back on track for the weekend with the chance of rain gone till next week:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Kenring wrote: »
    Only another 2 and a half weeks of it - so make the most of it!
    www.predictweather.com

like the mild wet winter we had :D

London looking at 28-30 degrees this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

mike65 wrote: »

With any luck we will have nature giving the land some free nitrogen.

I'm hoping for some thunderstorms, just please rain......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    With any luck we will have nature giving the land some free nitrogen.

I'm hoping for some thunderstorms, just please rain......

Same here . .. you know bennetsbridge weir on the Nore? ( youre from kilkenny, you should!!!) The river is so low there that the weir is dry for the first time in at least 15 years, all the water is going down the left sluice gate, nothing down the middle. :eek:

Righty Ho. Nice bit of driving drizzle today and back to the drought for the next week and a half I reckon .....no matter what Met Dublin.ie tell us.

My spuds are like dessicated goats scrotes out there :(

Same here . .. you know bennetsbridge weir on the Nore? ( youre from kilkenny, you should!!!) The river is so low there that the weir is dry for the first time in at least 15 years, all the water is going down the left sluice gate, nothing down the middle. :eek:

I drove by it today (Wednesday) but didn't get to look. I saw some people standing on the bridge looking at it alright.

It's hardly good for the poor fish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

mike65 wrote: »
    owenc will love to hear that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think the best weather the west will get for Summer is over now. We'll get a fair end to this week but any rain thats going for the rest of Summer will favor us Id imagine.

:rolleyes:My rainfall climbed 2.1mm today to 8.4mm:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Damn I'm off to Westprt on Jul 10th for a week . Should I bring my waders?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

theres alot of rain and showers forecasted by met eireann from Saturday onwards into next week:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

western half of the country most likely to be affected but it looks like some places could escape the heaviest of these showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    I drove by it today (Wednesday) but didn't get to look. I saw some people standing on the bridge looking at it alright.

It's hardly good for the poor fish either.

Well there is a fish pass on the right hand side with some water going down it, not sure if its enough for fish to get up.

Gonzo wrote: »
    theres alot of rain and showers forecasted by met eireann from Saturday onwards into next week:(

You need help with your smilies :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Anybody know what it's looking like for Sunday? Met.ie says rain arriving from the west but not sure at what stage of the day. Always rains when Dubs play in Croker so i'll be guessing it will be before 4pm and i'll get a good soaking. Again.

Dublin will be grand, its the west/north west thats getting the rain on Sunday

edit met error are saying it'll reach the east coast. I remain optimistic it'll be nothing more than heavy cloud that breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

typical! the weather would change when the turf is due to be delivered at the weekend.

I dunno why people want rain, the last 3 summers were a total washout, it would be nice if we could have a half decent summer which is very rare these days. Im sure there'll be plenty of rain for months on end come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I dunno why people want rain, the last 3 summers were a total washout, it would be nice if we could have a half decent summer which is very rare these days. Im sure there'll be plenty of rain for months on end come September.

We will have a half decent Summer.

Half of it will have been decent.:)

I want rain because my fields are burning up in places, grass growth is affected, the water in my well is very low down and partially depends on rain to filter down through the ground to top it up. It would be good for the wildlife and plant life.

Already some councils are putting in water restrictions as they don't have enough water for everyone. Sligo and North Co. Dublin are running short on water.

The problem is rainfall has been below normal for every month so far this year, Evelyn Cusack was saying it was only 60% of normal in some places.

We had a decent summer so far, no one is looking for continuous rain, at current conditions there will be major water problems all around the country, they are starting to show now and will get worse if we have no decent rain.

The winter cost a lot in extra feed for the cattle, a drought would be just as bad.
    I'd be happy for a warm thundery spell of weather, a couple of wet weeks would do the country a power of good.

The Aran Islands are relying on tankers of water from the mainland now, bone dry they are.

Bizarre state of affairs, the driest winter in decades, the driest spring in decades, the driest summer in a few years bekons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

severe water shortages in clare now. Hosepipe ban being introduced from tuesday. Cutoffs affecting Ennis, Tulla and all of North Clare from tonight.

In November we had too much water and now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I mean where in the world would you get the like. Say to anyone living in a drier climate that we, a country that gets on average around 1 metre of rainfall a year, falling pretty much all throughout the year too, runs out of water when rainfall goes below normal for a few months. It's ridiculous, and shouldn't happen. We need to upgrade our water system asap.

My in-laws are from Sardinia and most years they see virtually no rain from April to September, maybe just a couple of mms. However, they never ever run out of water, and you see enormous irrigation systems operating in the fields every evening. They have several lakes, only one of which is natural, all others are man-made! Winter rainfall is enough to see them through the hot dry summer, and of course they're not losing 60% through their pipes, or whatever the Irish system loses! After being here many times during the "summer" they find it pazzo that we can run out!

Advertisement