Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer outlook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    severe water shortages in clare now. Hosepipe ban being introduced from tuesday. Cutoffs affecting Ennis, Tulla and all of North Clare from tonight.

In November we had too much water and now....

are you implying mother nature has a wicked sense of humour?

but seriously Su Campu makes some good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

are you implying mother nature has a wicked sense of humour?

but seriously Su Campu makes some good points.
    a sense of irony at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Su Campu wrote: »
    I mean where in the world would you get the like. Say to anyone living in a drier climate that we, a country that gets on average around 1 metre of rainfall a year, falling pretty much all throughout the year too, runs out of water when rainfall goes below normal for a few months. It's ridiculous, and shouldn't happen. We need to upgrade our water system asap.

My in-laws are from Sardinia and most years they see virtually no rain from April to September, maybe just a couple of mms. However, they never ever run out of water, and you see enormous irrigation systems operating in the fields every evening. They have several lakes, only one of which is natural, all others are man-made! Winter rainfall is enough to see them through the hot dry summer, and of course they're not losing 60% through their pipes, or whatever the Irish system loses! After being here many times during the "summer" they find it pazzo that we can run out!

But, but, but.......Sardinia doesn't come in 40 shades of green.

I want our shades back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have absolutely no idea of what this chart means or how 'SMD' is measured, but latest met.ie ag maps have much of the west midlands and west at just 40% of normal or more:

118072.gif

I am not a farmer so I don't have to worry about the implications of this on growing etc, but from a weather enthusiat's point of view, I have to say I am really getting sick and tired of this weather.

Will it ever rain again? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

My June total so far is standing at just 13.0mm, of which around 2.0mm was accumulated from frequent morning fogs. I have to water the garden every day now just to keep the grass alive, and even with that, the soil has dried up again within hours. I really wouldn't mind if this drought was the result of some proper summer weather with kick ass heat and sultry looking skies. Nope, just the usual maritime influenced tripe without any of its merits. At least in May I got up to 25c; so far, my June max is just 22.8c.

F..k you weather of 2010!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Well DE basically it means that Soil Moisture Deficits are at quite high levels. Poorly drained soils would normally have SMD's of between -10 and 10 mm, and anything over 40-50 results in severe growth restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Poor Deep Easterly, he wanted good cold winter weather and he got it but the fact it meant no rain seems to have been forgotton!

there's no pleasing tuam people, they're a temperamental lot:p

mike65 wrote: »
    Poor Deep Easterly, he wanted good cold winter weather and he got it but the fact it meant no rain seems to have been forgotton!

:confused:
    there's no pleasing tuam people, they're a temperamental lottongue.gif

:eek:

Well you were enjoying a cold winter yes? Cold winter means low rainfall and then you tell weather 2010 to f..k off! So which did you want? A long cold snowy winter or lots of Atlantic rain? Can't have both.

• Advertisement

I remember he also wanted Atlantic storms....which would have brought the rainfall.

Can't have both! :) Not unless DE is into weather control! :eek:

Can't have both! :) Not unless DE is into weather control! :eek:

I think he got bored of the cold weather as he wasn't getting much snow and he wanted some Atlantic storms to liven things up, I remember as I disagreed.
    Yes, I'm never happy with the weather :pac:

i think we all are like that to some extent;)

Well you were enjoying a cold winter yes? Cold winter means low rainfall and then you tell weather 2010 to f..k off! So which did you want? A long cold snowy winter or lots of Atlantic rain? Can't have both.

The winter was on the cool side, yes, and that in itself was welcomed. Having said that, it was not a snowy winter at all in my neck of the woods, maybe it was down in the SE, but certainly not here!

Even in the mildest of winters we tend to get more snow here than anything that last winter brought. I like interesting weather, the cold winter just gone was interesting only in terms of its duration rather than interesting as an actual event.

Bring on those Atlantic storms! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

I don't understand, this has been the most unusual year in my recent (and very bad it seems) memory. I would have thought that this year would be extremely interesting for the weather enthusiasts since its not the usual rain belt after rain belt. Whats wrong people.

The winter was cold, snowy, got me really interested in what was going on in the land of meterology. And I know I was complaining about the weather earlier this month but man this is fantastic weather, warm sunny warm :cool:. We deserve a nice summer after that long long cold winter (and earlier floods).

Well anyway, it looks like its all coming to an end next week. :( Is it true tell me its not true, please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like London and SE uk is the place to be, there is no end in sight of 27-30C temperatures for that region. Were in for mixed but mostly mild to warm for the next week but unlikely to see anything better than 21-22C, also I think the east and Dublin will escape most of the rain/showers except maybe on Monday.

Personally im really enjoying the weather in 2010 so far more than most years mainly because of the lack of rain, I really hate the rain ye cant go out and do what ye want to do, we had a colder winter altho like DE I didnt get much snow this winter in terms of snow depth, I Missed out on loads of snow by just 7 miles. The atlantic has hardly been active in 6 months which has pleased me alot. I know that rain is badly needed in places but other countries are able to cope with dry weather year in year out alot better than we can, for a country that see's so much rain most years, Ireland shouldnt have such problems as soon as we hit a 2-6 month dry spell, especially after 3 years of almost constant rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like London and SE uk is the place to be, there is no end in sight of 27-30C temperatures for that region. Were in for mixed but mostly mild to warm for the next week but unlikely to see anything better than 21-22C, also I think the east and Dublin will escape most of the rain/showers except maybe on Monday.

Personally im really enjoying the weather in 2010 so far more than most years mainly because of the lack of rain, I really hate the rain ye cant go out and do what ye want to do, we had a colder winter altho like DE I didnt get much snow this winter in terms of snow depth, I Missed out on loads of snow by just 7 miles. The atlantic has hardly been active in 6 months which has pleased me alot. I know that rain is badly needed in places but other countries are able to cope with dry weather year in year out alot better than we can, for a country that see's so much rain most years, Ireland shouldnt have such problems as soon as we hit a 2-6 month dry spell, especially after 3 years of almost constant rain.

Im just back from 2 weeks in London, to be honest it was to hot there! We have it perfect here, yesterday here in mayo was spot on, very comfatable to sit outside in.
    It seems to be all these high pressures of the last 6-7months sitting in the north east Atlantic thats giving us this weather patten. But Europe is having a horrific time as they are having our low pressure systems going around to them. I think Italy are having some of their worst non summer weather ever recorded and its hitting tourism!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

Well anyway, it looks like its all coming to an end next week. :( Is it true tell me its not true, please!
    I think one week of Irish summer left. Rains likely in north and west around July 10, followed by southwest and east over the week following the 10th .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah the met eireann forecast is looking very bleak, miserable and wet for the end of next week:( Looks like this could be the last bit of summer for some time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Kenring wrote: »
    I think one week of Irish summer left. Rains likely in north and west around July 10, followed by southwest and east over the week following the 10th .

Thats only the 19th time you've said that . . .:rolleyes:

I hope you are right to a certain degree, i.e. some rain for a week or two, but after that I want the summer back, with the occasional nightn=time rain to keep the crops growing!!!

Thats only the 19th time you've said that . . .:rolleyes:

I hope you are right to a certain degree, i.e. some rain for a week or two, but after that I want the summer back, with the occasional nightn=time rain to keep the crops growing!!!
    Well, I think the rain of the second week in July will be only over a few days, maybe 4 or so, then a return to dry and relatively warm, but cloudy. The fine run of summer weather of the sort that makes one want to be outside holidaying is what I talk about when I mean the main part of summer, and I think that will end around July 10th. The only reliably nice time in August is around the southern declination of the 19th. Temperatures should drop below 20C after August. After that you can expect some showery activity every 3 or 4 days until October, when there may be longer dry spells.

www.predictweather.com

BBC monthly outlook
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209/
    Rain at last but for how long?

Provisional figures indicate that the first half of this year will have been the driest since 1929. While the warm sunshine has been welcome after such a cold winter, there are serious concerns now about the lack of rainfall. At long last, however, there are indications that Atlantic low pressure systems will bring a significant change in our weather as we enter July.
    Monday 28 June 2010 to Sunday 4 July 2010
    Heat slowly gives way to rain

A gradual breakdown in the very warm and settled weather is likely. Details are elusive, but more southeastern parts of the UK can expect to hang on to temperatures in the high 20s celsius for a few more days. After a dry start to the week, scattered thundery showers will break out. Then later in the week, a deep area of low pressure will begin to spread wet and windy weather across the UK from the northwest - the first significant rain for a long time. The far southeast may stay dry into the weekend, but Wimbledon fortnight's luck looks like it's finally running out.

Monday 5 July 2010 to Sunday 11 July 2010
    Rain at times, especially in the northwest

Air of Atlantic origin will push weather fronts across the UK. The fronts will be most active across the north and west of the country, and this is where most rainfall is expected. With greater shelter from those rain-bearing winds, the south and east of England and Wales are likely to have longer dry spells and the best of any warm sunshine. However it looks like many of us might have to watch the World Cup Final indoors rather than in the beer garden! Temperatures will generally be lower than of late.

Monday 12 July 2010 to Sunday 25 July 2010
    Wettest in the north, driest in the south

With pressure lowest to the north of the UK, and highest to the south, we can also expect a north-south gradation in rainfall amounts. It will be windy at times too in those wetter northern areas, making it feel quite cool. The south of the UK can still expect a little rain at times, but in the sunshine it will get quite warm.

Next week

Will the wetter weather set the tone for the rest of the summer, or will the westerlies fail, raising drought concerns again?

Good to see the BBC site is asking the hard questions! :p

BBC monthly outlook
    From my longrange point of view, heavy rains are due from mid August to September. From mid July-mid August is expected to be cloudy, then a reburst of sunshine is likely from mid August to mid September. From October the sunshine quickly declines. Temperatures are peaking now and should from now on decline, more rapidly so in October. Air frosts increase from October onwards. Seasons are beginning later and ending later, as dictated by the advancing lunar combinations that see phase coupled with apsidal lines. It is a 9-10 year turnaround. I am attaching my Armagh graphs for 2010, for estimated rainfall, sunshine, temperatures and air frost timings.
    www.predictweather.com

the armagh graphic is low res ken. do you have a higher res version?

the armagh graphic is low res ken. do you have a higher res version?
    Yes on my website http://www.predictweather.co.nz/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=290&type=home
    Armagh trends graphs - select the whole links
    Rain: http://www.predictweather.co.nz/Images/Articles/Armagh rain 2010-20100630-032220.JPG

Sunshine: http://www.predictweather.co.nz/Images/Articles/Armagh sun 2010-20100630-032258.JPG
    Temperatures, max and min: http://www.predictweather.co.nz/Images/Articles/Armagh temps 2010-20100630-032312.JPG
    Air Frost days: http://www.predictweather.co.nz/Images/Articles/Armagh air frosts 2010-20100630-032328.JPG

cheers

Only the first link works for me ken???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Only the first link works for me ken???

copy & paste the whole line

Advertisement