Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Style/Language HL English Compehension Qs?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

What are you supposed to look for when making points on the style of the writer?

Likewise, what are you supposed to look for when making points on the language used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No real difference in the language and style questions.

What you're being asked to do is deconstruct the piece of writing and figure out how it was put together. I get my classes to do a checklist of what to look out e.g. humour, personal anecdote, vivid descriptions, metaphors, evocative images, questions, third person narrative, other points of view, sarcasm, dialogue, facts, slang, statistics, expert opinions, examples, quotes......

Simply reading magazine articles, especially opinion pieces, and trying to figure out why they're entertaining/effective/informative by picking out these features is great practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

deemark wrote: »
    No real difference in the language and style questions.

What you're being asked to do is deconstruct the piece of writing and figure out how it was put together. I get my classes to do a checklist of what to look out e.g. humour, personal anecdote, vivid descriptions, metaphors, evocative images, questions, third person narrative, other points of view, sarcasm, dialogue, facts, slang, statistics, expert opinions, examples, quotes......

Simply reading magazine articles, especially opinion pieces, and trying to figure out why they're entertaining/effective/informative by picking out these features is great practice.

ok this post IMO is too long and broad for something as simple as style and language. If I were you don't take anything he says too seriously because realli in an exam you won't have time to do something like a check list... Just keep it simple and brief and for the live of god refrain from using complicated language in your comprehension answers... You are not being asked to deconstruct anything but simply your opinion backed up by facts and constant reference to the question... Three solid points will do...

Reading articles will help but really it's all common sense and best of all easy marks... Just answer the question and keep it simple. :/ s'all

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

fufureida wrote: »
    Reading articles will help but really it's all common sense and best of all easy marks... Just answer the question and keep it simple. :/ s'all

But what would you suggest the point be on?

I know what points to use for the 'in your opinion' questions, but for language & style what would you look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

fufureida wrote: »
    ok this post IMO is too long and broad for something as simple as style and language. If I were you don't take anything he says too seriously because realli in an exam you won't have time to do something like a check list...

You are not being asked to deconstruct anything but simply your opinion backed up by facts and constant reference to the question... Three solid points will do...

Em, excuse me:eek:

I did not suggest writing out a checklist in the exam, it's simply a method I use to teach students how to identify features of style and language and as the question comes up year after year (usually as a 20 marker) it's worth putting some practice into.

Deconstruction of the text is exactly what is required!

To be honest, I really don't appreciate your dismissive attitude towards my post, as I was merely answering the OP's question. As an experienced English teacher who marks LC HL, I find your post to be bordering on insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

deemark wrote: »
    Em, excuse me:eek:

I did not suggest writing out a checklist in the exam, it's simply a method I use to teach students how to identify features of style and language and as the question comes up year after year (usually as a 20 marker) it's worth putting some practice into.

Deconstruction of the text is exactly what is required!

To be honest, I really don't appreciate your dismissive attitude towards my post, as I was merely answering the OP's question. As an experienced English teacher who marks LC HL, I find your post to be bordering on insulting.
    Indeed, I learned a few a more features of style to add to my list. Thanks:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

I've got an awful problem with style over substance.
    I can't write well to begin with, but I had this terrible phase a couple of years ago when I read a lot of Gothic horror [Poe, Lovecraft etc.] and now everything I write comes out all overwrought and arse-endways with an abundance of polysyllables.
    Failed my mock [39%] because I just couldn't face doing two essays on the paper. This is getting to be a huge problem at this point. I've tried simplification, but either way my essays come out looking like they were written by pretentious and faulty AI.

Think the same applies to my posts.

Advertisement