Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me How to build a...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Without trying to sound smart. what is the part you are having a problem with? are you wondering what materials or how actually to do it?

you can get angled metal brackets that will support what you want . mount a few of them on the wall. then you can construct a frame out of possible 2x1 to put on top of the brackets.

there is a shelving system that comes with slatted shelves so maybe you can buy the shelf and just mount it to the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi ya
    if it were me- i'd have a look at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcXHocJQok

imho a "slatted shelf" held with metal brackets would not be the best
    job for a balcony, grand for a garage etc but not where the missus
    will be entertaining, you can get these reasonably priced kits in the
    major DIY stores for about 20yoyo

really for your balcony the "floating" effect would be a better job

when buying check that the material supplied is suitable for exterior use
    i.e. not MDF, unfinished wood will have to be protected.

install as shown on the video link, only thing check your shelf levels,
    if your level is going back towards the side wall of the house/apt leave a little washer or two on the inside edge to ensure any water etc flows away from house and won't mark the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davekdk

Martron wrote: »
    Without trying to sound smart. what is the part you are having a problem with? are you wondering what materials or how actually to do it?

you can get angled metal brackets that will support what you want . mount a few of them on the wall. then you can construct a frame out of possible 2x1 to put on top of the brackets.

there is a shelving system that comes with slatted shelves so maybe you can buy the shelf and just mount it to the wall

Howdy Martron, thanks for your reply. I dont know anything about DIY...so I guess I need to know what materials to get and how to do it!!
    The shelves will be for bonsai trees...some of them quite large and very heavy...so would need to be very sturdy.
    Can you tell me what this shelving system is? Would I get it in any garden centre, like Homebase?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davekdk

De_man wrote: »
    hi ya
    if it were me- i'd have a look at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcXHocJQok

imho a "slatted shelf" held with metal brackets would not be the best
    job for a balcony, grand for a garage etc but not where the missus
    will be entertaining, you can get these reasonably priced kits in the
    major DIY stores for about 20yoyo

really for your balcony the "floating" effect would be a better job

when buying check that the material supplied is suitable for exterior use
    i.e. not MDF, unfinished wood will have to be protected.

install as shown on the video link, only thing check your shelf levels,
    if your level is going back towards the side wall of the house/apt leave a little washer or two on the inside edge to ensure any water etc flows away from house and won't mark the wall

Cheers De_man but this kind of floating shelf wouldnt be what Im after.
    The wall is an outside balcony wall 120cms high and 40cms thick...the kind of shelving Im hoping to erect will need to hold heavy bonsai trees in large pots...one of them weighs over 20kg alone!
    The kind of thing Martron is talking about here is more what Im looking for...just dont know where exactly to get the correct materials.
    Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

davekdk wrote: »
    Cheers De_man but this kind of floating shelf wouldnt be what Im after.
    The wall is an outside balcony wall 120cms high and 40cms thick...the kind of shelving Im hoping to erect will need to hold heavy bonsai trees in large pots...one of them weighs over 20kg alone!
    The kind of thing Martron is talking about here is more what Im looking for...just dont know where exactly to get the correct materials.
    Nice one.

ah i see now, 20KG :eek: that floating shelf wouldn't do the job at all,
    and i don't think your typical diy store would stock something as heavy
    as that.

i'd go with martron here, local builders providers to get heavy
    duty metal brackets then your local timber merchant describe the job to them & they'll cut the pieces for you whilst you wait - very small charge

alternatively, just an idea....
    if you put the 20kg tree on the floor, could you estimate what width & length of each shelf, and include the approx weight on each shelf, a major diy store sells a very easy shelving system (i will pm the name to you- so not as to advertise here and break the rules)

i found the system online for you
    http://www.spurshelving.co.uk/ i have this in my garage and it works well
    as the heights of the shelving can be easily changed - no problem with loading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

De_man wrote: »
    ah i see now, 20KG :eek: that floating shelf wouldn't do the job at all,
    and i don't think your typical diy store would stock something as heavy
    as that.

i'd go with martron here, local builders providers to get heavy
    duty metal brackets then your local timber merchant describe the job to them & they'll cut the pieces for you whilst you wait - very small charge

alternatively, just an idea....
    if you put the 20kg tree on the floor, could you estimate what width & length of each shelf, and include the approx weight on each shelf, a major diy store sells a very easy shelving system (i will pm the name to you- so not as to advertise here and break the rules)

i found the system online for you
    http://www.spurshelving.co.uk/ i have this in my garage and it works well
    as the heights of the shelving can be easily changed - no problem with loading

Ugh, that stiff is handy for a garage, but not very pleasing to the eye. If I were you, I'd go for pressure treated timber for outdoor use, and if you intend on putting a monster onto it, I'd go with steel brackets to wall mount, with rawlbolts. You don't want that thing sagging or falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mattcc70

davekdk wrote: »
    ...slatted shelf? Or tell me where I can find out?
    Basically I want to try and build something like this (or similar):

http://www.theenglishjoinerycompany.com/images/brackets/gallows-bracket-slatted.jpg

..for an outside walled balcony and use to put bonsai trees on.
    Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    try homebase, they have "how to" leaflets free in store that cover a wide range of projects.

Advertisement