Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I finish my apprenticeship abroad?

• 07-05-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

My first post, sorry if its in the wrong place.

I've been laid off since july last year, three months into phase 5. And despite searching constantly I can't seem to find anyone thats hiring.

I'm a 4th year apprentice (due my company holding me back from collage several time, which is why I haven't phase five completed). I've passed all my off the job training with merits. But I need to find someplace to get the on the job experience.

I've friends in oz and canada, and all said they can get me a job over their easily enough. I'm not sure if this counts as they are not irish companies, as far as I know they have to be registered with fas. But I'm wondering if anyone has ever been succesful in appealing in this situation?
    Cause if so, I must just give it a go and chance my arm.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

Hmm, I am not sure whether you can finish overseas. But have you considered working for a slightly lower rate? Like a 2nd or 3rd year rate? I know it is not ideal but it may be the only way to finish in these current times. I am sure if you applied for a job you would get priority because you would have more experience yet you would be willing to work for a lower rate.

Wonderwall

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

SteveDM,
    Careful, a friend here in town qualified. As he was born in Oz he left with his girlfriend to try to live there. His qualification were not recognised and he had to pack up and come home, he's now installing alarms while looking for a real electricians job.
    Do your research carefully.
    Dont know that the story is in Canada..
    Good luck with the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

As far as I'm aware the requirement in Australia is to do a few exams to prove that you know and understand the regulations. And from what I've heard the Canadian system is nearly a straight swap from our own, but having said that, I was told this from a utility's point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

bassey wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the requirement in Australia is to do a few exams to prove that you know and understand the regulations. And from what I've heard the Canadian system is nearly a straight swap from our own, but having said that, I was told this from a utility's point of view.

As a spark working in Australia it is more than a matter of doing a few exams and understanding the regulations. First of all you need to get your trade recognised and without having completed an apprenticeship or having at least 7 years experience this would be almost impossible. After that you can do the exams for an electrical licence. In Canada they have whats called the Red Seal exam. As far as I know you need about 7 years experience and you need to actually have a job and get 3 months experience in Canada before you do the exam. Not sure if you could even get a visa for either country that would allow you to finish an apprenticeship anyway.

OP have a look at this
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/apprentices-may-have-to-finish-trade-overseas-1425987.html

You may be able to finish your apprenticeship in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SteveDM

Thanks for the responses.
    Gave me alot to think about and check out.

Cheers.
    SteveDM

• Advertisement
Advertisement