Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building tips and tricks

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I've built a few PCs before but really just kinda threw them together with focus being just to get everything into the case and hooked up so that it'd work, not much more finesse than that.

I'm about to build a new HTPC that I want to last for a few years and want it to be built right. Are there any tips and tricks you'd recommend when building a PC other than the obvious (e.g. use an anti-static wristband, cable tie cables to increase air flow)?

One thing I don't think I ever really did right was installing HDDs - I just ended up putting the screws into rubber grommets and tightening to a degree that meant they didn't pop through, and if my memory is right, I think in some cases I could only get the screws in on one side so I must be doing something wrong there.

I see builders often mention what temperatures and fan speeds their systems are running at - what do you use to see and set that info? I'll be aiming for as quiet a machine as possible as it's a HTPC so will aim to set fans on slow if possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

PWM-capable fans can be controlled from PWM-capable fan headers on the motherboard through the use of software like SpeedFan.

Make sure you get as quiet and cool running a hard disk as possible for a HTPC os drive because it is potentially the noiseiest component assuming you get a cool running processor and quiet, moderate rpm case fans.
    I just put one of these in my (now silent!) fileserver: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article951-page1.html

Advertisement