Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you react to someone calling you ****** ?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I live on student res in college and like not being small minded here but it's safe to say that most people here are from rural areas and are not used to er people like me. So anyway today while walking to my apartment with a friend one lad called me a f/aggot under my breath and it kinda irked me, a lot but was too shocked to say anything. Now this isn't the first time it's happened too I've been called f/aggot from apartment windows a couple of times too and I'm not out there or anything, I'm a quiet guy who keeps to myself so why the outbursts ?

Anyway any personal experiences or tips to share ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

Imagine if this had been your post:

I live on student res in college and like not being small minded here but it's safe to say that most people here are from rural areas and are not used to er black people like me. So anyway today while walking to my apartment with a friend one lad called me a n/igger under my breath and it kinda irked me, a lot but was too shocked to say anything. Now this isn't the first time it's happened too I've been called n/igger from apartment windows a couple of times too and I'm not out there or anything, I'm a quiet guy who keeps to myself so why the outbursts ?

Can you imagine the outcry if your post read like this and was posted somewhere like After Hours?!

This blatant discrimination is disgusting. Take a leaf out of the books of the black civil rights campaigners that have since gone down in history - don't lower yourself by dignifying their discrimination with a response. Hold your head high and ignore it. Don't let these rural bigots get to you. Time and the history books will show these bigots up for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

drusk wrote: »
    Imagine if this had been your post:

I live on student res in college and like not being small minded here but it's safe to say that most people here are from rural areas and are not used to er black people like me. So anyway today while walking to my apartment with a friend one lad called me a n/igger under my breath and it kinda irked me, a lot but was too shocked to say anything. Now this isn't the first time it's happened too I've been called n/igger from apartment windows a couple of times too and I'm not out there or anything, I'm a quiet guy who keeps to myself so why the outbursts ?

Can you imagine the outcry if your post read like this and was posted somewhere like After Hours?!

This blatant discrimination is disgusting. Take a leaf out of the books of the black civil rights campaigners that have since gone down in history - don't lower yourself by dignifying their discrimination with a response. Hold your head high and ignore it. Don't let these rural bigots get to you. Time and the history books will show these bigots up for what they are.

+ a million to this.

disgusting behaviour out of that fella.

I often wonder are these people going to be as immature and small minded for the rest of their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

drusk wrote: »

Is ignoring it the best option? - I don't honestly know what I would do but should it not be challenged?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Someone from the city would never be so small minded, What is it with country people??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Someone from the city would never be so small minded, What is it with country people??:confused:

You cant say, what is it with country people? It's not always the case, just happened to be for the OP.
    Anyone with some sort of brain should have to cop on not to go around calling anyone these names.
    OP keep your head held high and ignore such bigots as you will be far better person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I'm not really convinced that ignoring it is the best option. If you thought that responding might put you in danger, then obviously don't do that. These people are cowards though; muttering it under their breath as they walk past, shouting it from windows you can't get to.

Even stopping, turning around, and saying "excuse me?" would probably catch them off guard and make them think twice about it. There are lots of other responses too. "Yeah, what's your point?", "Bigot", "What did you say?" or even the comical "I know I am, but what are you?".

They have no right to get away with calling people that. I can understand if you're quiet and you find the idea of confrontation unappealing, but you might find it empowering. Let them know it's not acceptable or they'll never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭GalwayGuy92

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on that one! Yes it's a disgrace that this person would say this but why would that instantly mean he was from the country? Country people can be just a polite as city slickers! In fact in my experience someone from 'the city' would be just as likely to say something like this.
    Obviously there will be exceptions to both the city and country people 'stereotype' or whatever you wan to call it but just because someone is from the country does not instantly make them biggotted and backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's not just country people. The worst public homophobic verbal abuse I ever got off anyone was in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Give them the finger. Or else say something like What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 scallywags

Just ignore them and hope it doesnt turn violent. The problem is when you are raised by your family to fight back coupled with rampant homophobia back in the school days, once you stand up for yourself you are really asking for it, marked for life by some who just wont let it go. i got some abuse of this chap i worked with under his breath constantly slagging me, but when another chap (bout 3/4 times my size, twice his size) got lippy with him he cowered like a girl. Its mostly just insecurities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Sorry

I personally would not let it go, I couldn't. I would tell the person how much of a pathetic bigot they were. Even though then there would be a risk of getting attacked, I can not let these vile people feel that they can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I'd take it up with the student residence authorities. That stuff is taken very very seriously, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Thanks for all the advice but really I don't know what to do :\

I can't really complain to the res board because I haven't a clue who they are.

I'm only a week left here so I doubt it'll happen again.

But like afterwards I did say to my friend 'Er that guy in red just called me a ******'

And it's definitely all country people cause it's a Dublin uni so yeah.

are you finished in uni forever after next week? If you are just forget about it, if you're going back there then honestly I wouldn't just ignore that stuff

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    are you finished in uni forever after next week? If you are just forget about it, if you're going back there then honestly I wouldn't just ignore that stuff

Only in first year and moving into town come September and like I've never experienced anything like outside of Res,

Ok well then let it go as it's not be an issue again

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If it was me I would just reply equally as loud "Arsehole", cos that is what they.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

I tend to belittle them about this being the 21st century and you're a common, uneducated red neck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Nobody understands your sarcasm.

OP, yeah I've experienced things like this before. Never anything to my face - people briskly walking by muttering under their breath, people driving by shouting out the window (OK, only once, but still), people a fair distance away - which leads me to believe that they're just cowards. I usually wouldn't say anything, part out of fear of physical attack, and part out of the fact that anybody overhearing isn't likely to become homophobic and agree with them just by virtue of a personal insult.

tbh if someone hits me, I press charges, esp if it's on campus and there are CCTV footage,
    I know not everyone is as pysically brave as I am but if a person hits me, I will prosecute to the extent of the law and if they end up with a criminal record barring them from jobs or travel tought shít they should not have hit me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lepidopteria

I live on student res in college and like not being small minded here but it's safe to say that most people here are from rural areas and are not used to er people like me. So anyway today while walking to my apartment with a friend one lad called me a f/aggot under my breath and it kinda irked me, a lot but was too shocked to say anything. Now this isn't the first time it's happened too I've been called f/aggot from apartment windows a couple of times too and I'm not out there or anything, I'm a quiet guy who keeps to myself so why the outbursts ?

Anyway any personal experiences or tips to share ?

Ask yourself do you really care, calling you a f/aggot is just another word for calling you gay but since you already know that it's not like they are making any big revelation, it'd be like you trying to insult a straight person by calling them a "Hetro", it's a pointless insult because they are stating the obvious. The only reason they used the word "F/aggot" to get to you is because if it was them being called it they know it'd p*ss them off so are transfering how they'd react onto you but if you think about it it's only another word for gay now a days, it only really hurts if you let it, the only power words ever have is the power you assign to them, Queer use to be a hurtful word too until gay people took control of it, so what if people think you are a big fag? at least you are proud of it, sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lepidopteria

Oh yeah and I forgot to add that anyone that is so obsessed with your sexuality is having problems dealing with their own, denial isn't just a river in Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I usually just laugh with my arms out, shaking my head saying "No sh1t sherlock"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's no way I would let such homophobic abuse go unchallenged.:mad: It's all the more disgraceful becuase this is a university and students are supposed to be educated. I would make a formal complaint to the student residential services for starters.

Idiotic sh*ts. One the couple of occasions where I encountered homophobic remarks directed at me, I always challenged them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'd either laugh it off or shout back "breeder!"

Those type of comments don't help and frankly you would not be here if your parents weren't 'breeders'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

In my experience country people from NAVAN are by far the worst. And country people in general. You can often almost always tell them apart from the rest of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Those type of comments don't help and frankly you would not be here if your parents weren't 'breeders'.
    I think it does help - I think that using the term 'breeder' underlines the absurdity of classifiying people based on their sexual preferences in a way that is not confrontational. It is probably far more effective than replying 'asshole', which is simply reactionary and antagonistic.

Ok

enough with the whole country people are all backward and city people are all completely gay friendly etc etc, it's not relevant and I'll just delete any more comments that mention it again

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think breeder is antongistic and it's a term I am a lot more reactionary about then arsehole. Just beacuse a person is hetrosexual does not mean they intend on ever having kids, just because a person is homosexual that doesn't mean they intend on never having kids and then there are people who are bisexual.

I don't see the point of polarising people and alienating people, and arsehole is an arsehole reguardless of thier sexuality or where they are from.

Advertisement