Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this pup look overweight??

Options
  • 07-05-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says - a few nice people in the park have told me lately that my 10 month old puppy is overweight. Now he was weighed in the vets a few weeks ago and they said he was perfect at 31.6 kgs - he's lost some weight since then as he's gotten a little longer and taller and his coat is getting longer too (especially his 'fur collar' as we call it :D) so i'm not sure if people are eg thinking he has a big belly on him when it's his fur hanging down? He looks skinnier everyday to me!? What do you guys think? Everyone who's said it to me has a small short haired dog...:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

As soon as I saw the pics, i thought people are seeing his chest/fur collar and thinking he's fat. He looks fine too me OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

He looks fine to me. Look at him from above, and see if he has a waist that's easy to see. If he does then he's fine, and the vet said he's fine so he must be.

Those people probably don't know what they're talking about! My sister said my long haired cat is fat, just because it was the winter so he was extra fluffy, but he's actually almost a bit skinny. And people always call my dogs fat, but they're not at all, it's just fur too. It's really annoying :P

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

he looks perfect to me its just that he has extra hair around his neck..put your hands along the sides of his chest and if you can feel his ribs easily enough than he is ok...hes georgous by the way..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

no he does not look over weight and a pup should not lose weight get longer and taller yes lose weight no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

no. in summary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He looks fine, stocky shape but grand to me.
    Very cute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

He's gorgeous - and he certainly does not look over-weight to me at all. He has a lovely good quality coat and healthy bright eyes so I would not worry about him at all. And he's not female so he wont be asking if his bum looks big.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks everyone!! You've put my mind at ease :D He's just fuzzy is all like I thought!! We do treat him for training etc so I make sure to count for the treats in his daily food allowance. I can't wait until his real coat comes in - we think he'll be darker too :)

PS the pics aren't the best because he wanted to play a game - I was making him stay so I could take them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

he's amazing looking! Hes feckin adorable

he really does look like hes thinking "Can i play with that?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

He's gorgeous. Definitely not overweight as far as I can tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I agree with the others, he looks perfect, defo not over weight.

GAH! I had him in the vets this afternoon and they said he WAS overweight - he's 33kgs now. He's been lame for about a month and I was a bit worried because it didn't seem to be getting better so brought him over. But it's a bit annoying because the last time I was there I was told to keep him on the lead until he was one so obviously he's not been getting the same excercise so he's put on weight. He's on hills r/d to get him to drop his weight down now to see if it helps his lameness. I've only just switched him to Burns and have a 15kg bag on the way from zooplus! :( The vet also told me that Burns wasn't the best??

So waht exactly did the vet recommend - cause if he's over weight then my little lady will have to join the gym!

Shazanne wrote: »
    So waht exactly did the vet recommend - cause if he's over weight then my little lady will have to join the gym!
    They reckon he should be 28kgs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm not second guessing your vet by any means. But, in my experience, they have a little chart with breeds, genders and expected weights and if your dog's weight doesn't match it then he's underweight or over weight.

Is it a pure breed Golden Retriever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

i know a lab is a heavier breed, but my lab is 40kg and the vet said he was the ideal weight.

if you can see his ribs but you can feel them without applying pressure then he should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

tk123 wrote: »
    the diff between 28 and 33 is neglagable and could be explained by a bigger excampel of the breed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

5kg is actually significant amount of weight for a dog. But you have to gage it as it is done with people. 15 stone looks good on some and crap on others. Same with dogs. I have seen labs that are 40/45 kg and they look amazing, big male dogs, big heads etc and i have seen little 22kg labs, that are just small.

If he goes in at the "waist" and when you rub your hands over his chest you can feel his ribs a touch, not boney but you can feel them. To me he looks fine, but with the coat looks can be well ya know!

If he is lame you have to be careful. Labs, as you probably know, are notorious for having hip/knee problems. And having him as light as possible is best for him. Also have to take into account is he neutered? Neutered boys put on weight easier and it is more difficult to get weight off of!

Getting into a conversation about food on here is risky at the best of times. There are differing opinions on food all of the time. Also the same with vets, a lot of disagreement on food advice and again it comes down to the pet, and what suits them. IMPO Burns is a good food.

Is he insured? If so you can see if you vet will arrange a ref to UCD or one of the other hydrotherapy places, or you can bring him swimming! Low impact excerise and good fun too!

Jules wrote: »
    Is he insured? If so you can see if you vet will arrange a ref to UCD or one of the other hydrotherapy places, or you can bring him swimming! Low impact excerise and good fun too!

I'm going to ask them about this at his follow up - we live beside the park but he won't go in the river!! It's a bit shallow so not sure it'd help him anyways.
    The worst thing is randomers who don't even know him coming up in the park telling you there's something wrong with him - as if we weren't worried about him enough! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sure tell them all it is puppy fat!!!!!! Only messing :)

OP, every dog is different, seriously my cocker was overweight as far as cockers recommended weight goes, but for his frame (he is big framed) the vet thinks he's perfect.

Just walk him, give him his proper portions of food whatever amount of times of day the vet tells you. And dont just get the Burns, that stuff is a rip off and vets tell you to buy it because they get a good percentage of the sale, (my Son's father is training to be one, dropped me the hint). Get a balanced big bag of it and dont give in to puppy dog eyes!!!! (pun intended:))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what vets tell you about food to be honest. I was at a dog event the other day and got free samples of all the brands and just by reading the ingredient list, you can tell that Hills aren't the best food out there! Burns seems much better to me. (I actually feed Orijen, but if I couldn't get that, I would feed Burns.)

My guy was over weight for a bit, so I just cut back on his normal food until he'd lost it and watched his treat intake (which was the biggest problem, as he's a great beggar). He was at the vets for his boosters on Thursday and I was told he was in fantastic condition, so it definitely worked for me! He's fed around the recommended amount for a 10 Kg dog, in spite of being around 13 Kg, as this is what keeps him trim.

Personally, I'd rather feed less of a really good food than Hills diet stuff...

tk123 wrote: »

And what about food brand? I feed Millie Royal Canin, 50grms twice a day (with a little wet food mixer or she wont eat it!). I always though Royal Canin was the best you you give them:confused:

what do yas think of red mills winner complete?

25 euro a bag so it must be good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

he look perfect to me
    if he is overweight then the pup i have need to to the priory

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

bmw535d wrote: »
    what do yas think of red mills winner complete?

25 euro a bag so it must be good right?

Red mills isnt a bad food, but its the Leader or Leader Supreme range that is the best. Red Mills do a whole range of foods from cheap to better quality but the winner wouldnt be the best in their range, i would go for the Leader, or Leader Supreme, much better quality.

Shazanne wrote: »
    And what about food brand? I feed Millie Royal Canin, 50grms twice a day (with a little wet food mixer or she wont eat it!). I always though Royal Canin was the best you you give them:confused:

Royal canin is def not the best. There are plenty of good foods. I personally think Royal Canin is def over priced, only paying for the name really.
    There are loads of really good foods out there, Burns, Arden Grange, Orijen, Clinivet and so on. All really good complete foods.

andreac wrote: »
    Red mills isnt a bad food, but its the Leader or Leader Supreme range that is the best. Red Mills do a whole range of foods from cheap to better quality but the winner wouldnt be the best in their range, i would go for the Leader, or Leader Supreme, much better quality.

ok ill have to look out for that..roughly how much more is it that winner complete? a 25kg bag lasts me about 2 months.when we go the dog he was very over weight and couldn't even keep up with me running.his previous owners fed him everything they ate along with that canned crap pedigree chump.

we weaned him on to dry feed and exercised him and now he looks great.there is one downside and that is all the extra loose skin he has now:(

seems like he is casting for the summer now..lab hair does seem to get everywhere

I think its around 35, but its def a higher quality food so well worth it.

Try doing some roadwork with him on hard ground to harden him up and build up muscle, as long as hes not a puppy though.

he gets a good 2 mile walk/run to the beach every Saturday.

he's about 5 now id say. i must start him breeding hes a very good pedigree his grandmother even won some lab of the year competition on england.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/declan-mc/Image033.jpg?t=1273361612
    http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/declan-mc/charlie/DCP_1436.jpg?t=1273361870

• Advertisement

This whole food thing is very confusing! Do any of the better brands of dry food do a variety of flavours to prevent the dog from becoming bored? I have terrible problems getting my terrier to eat just dried food all the time, she will eat it with a little wet food mixer tho, but I reckon if I could offer her a couple of different flavours it might be more tempting for her.

Advertisement