Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 12G cartridge.

Options
  • 07-05-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all.

I've recently got a second hand Rizzini 12G O/A shotgun. I plan to use it for shooting crows/pigeons over crops on a few farms where I shoot rabbits at the moment. I also hope to get into a bit of clay shooting.

While I am waiting for the licence to be granted (fingers crossed) I am looking for advice on what type of cartridge is best suited to both types of shooting as I am totally new to the world of shotguns.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Welcome back Pajero;)
    I use a 7 1/2 on pigeons and crows. Crows dont drop as easy as pigeons though. If iwas using the shotgun for rabbits id use 6's, i know the my range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Eley Olympic for clays, 7.5, 28gr.

Eley Super Game for ....... well ......game, :D , 32gr, 6's.

The Olympic are cheap enough for clays and i don't know whether i got a deal or not, but the Super 6's in 32gr were not alot more. Will get back with price when i remember.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    Eley Olympic for clays, 7.5, 28gr.

Eley Super Game for ....... well ......game, :D , 32gr, 6's.

The Olympic are cheap enough for clays and i don't know whether i got a deal or not, but the Super 6's in 32gr were not alot more. Will get back with price when i remember.

Remington make good cartridges too. 6 are good 5's I use too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i dont shoot game with any thing less than a 6 .

6 for pigeon 30g/32g even 34g when flighting or roost shooting .

36g 5/6 for pheasants

36g 4/5 rabbits / duck .

if shooting on the moon 34g 6 in a open choke .

you will get better kills and less damage with heaver grains ,less runners and woundings .

7/5 are for clays not game .

Probably posted this before, but anyway.

I used to (still do) use Super Express 36g 5's. They were common enough a few years back. They disappeared for a while then made a come back. Not too available around my neck of the woods now, but a great cartridge. Good for anything and i mean anything.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Probably posted this before, but anyway.

I used to (still do) use Super Express 36g 5's. They were common enough a few years back. They disappeared for a while then made a come back. Not too available around my neck of the woods now, but a great cartridge. Good for anything and i mean anything.

I find them very dirty though.
    What ever happened to those really nice pack of 10 No6 Winchesters available years ago? Fitted in pocket like a box of major:D Split down the middle like a box of cigarettes
    Lovely cartridge, now all Winchester/olins are 25 box and inferior quality made in Australia last i checked

I find them very dirty though............

I don't mind a little extra cleaning for confirmed hits.

the express super is one of the best shell ever made ,the price of them was there down fall .

i used them in the mid to late 90s shooting ABT ,the agent at the time was in ferns .

Whatever happened to them. They did "disappear" so to speak for a while, didn't they? Then when they came back they were much more expensive than before.

I heard rumors of being bought out, etc, etc. I know Jim McBride stocks them, but i've haven't seen anyone else with then recently. Around the midlands area that is.

lakelands was the or still is the agent in the south , enough said .

• Advertisement

Haven't been over there in a while, but will remedy that tomorrow. Cheers.

Haven't been over there in a while, but will remedy that tomorrow. Cheers.

RC 3 or 4 is as good if not a better shell for clays . try some RC game you will not look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Thanks a million lads. I'll try the types ye recommended and see what works best for me. I'm sure when the time comes i'll be back onto ye all for advice on hides and decoys!!

Just threw up this pic off the phone. Can't wait to get out with it!!

Photo0087.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

jwshooter wrote: »
    RC 3 or 4 is as good if not a better shell for clays . try some RC game you will not look back

JW did you ever use the RC Sipe No6s for pigeons?? I used to for decoying but the dealer told me you'd 'skin' a pigeon with them and told me 7, 7 1/2 are a better job??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    JW did you ever use the RC Sipe No6s for pigeons?? I used to for decoying but the dealer told me you'd 'skin' a pigeon with them and told me 7, 7 1/2 are a better job??

Are you eating the pigeon? you can get copper coated and steel shot now. Lead can feck up your pencil!

Easier locate bigger pellets and spit them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

What ever happened to those really nice pack of 10 No6 Winchesters available years ago? Fitted in pocket like a box of major:D Split down the middle like a box of cigarettes
    Lovely cartridge, now all Winchester/olins are 25 box and inferior quality made in Australia last i checked

I remember those well.

I think they were sold in a box of 10 as cartridges were so expensive......often got me out of a hole though when shillings were scarce & they were a real hard hitting cartridge.

If I remember correctly a box of Eley No. 6 Grand Prix (25 shells) was £3 when you could buy 3 pints for £1 !!!!!

If you take the price of a pint now at roughly €3.50 then in today's terms a box of cartridges would be the price of 9 pints - €31.50 !!!!!!!!!

But then, at the time, (late '70's) we were getting between £16 - £20 for a fox pelt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

J.R. wrote: »
    I remember those well.

I think they were sold in a box of 10 as cartridges were so expensive......often got me out of a hole though when shillings were scarce & they were a real hard hitting cartridge.

If I remember correctly a box of Eley No. 6 Grand Prix (25 shells) was £3 when you could buy 3 pints for £1 !!!!!

If you take the price of a pint now at roughly €3.50 then in today's terms a box of cartridges would be the price of 9 pints - €31.50 !!!!!!!!!

But then, at the time, (late '70's) we were getting between £16 - £20 for a fox pelt!
    That's some price, have a look at the price on the packet in the picture I don't know how long iv'e got them but £2.60 for 5 is some rob.
    winchester002.jpg

Here is an old box of Eley made in Ireland under licence by IMI Ltd. Earls Island Galway!

seen in the pic is an aplhamax 4 a maximum and guess what the last one is!

Here is an old box of Eley made in Ireland under licence by IMI Ltd. Earls Island Galway!

seen in the pic is an aplhamax 4 a maximum and guess what the last one is!
    Irish Ammo! Guess what the last one is, for all you shotty Buff's out there ;)
    113419.jpg
    113421.jpg

Dusty87 wrote: »

dusty i used to use trap shell on pigeons in my early shooting days ,once u use a 6 in 30g -32g you will not use trap shells again .

• Advertisement

dusty i used to use trap shell on pigeons in my early shooting days ,once u use a 6 in 30g -32g you will not use trap shells again .

Did you use cartridges like those in the above post in you early days JW?
    There is a great story to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i've one of those aluminium cartridges somewhere a 20 bore one from memory , it was fired but failed to go off i'll see can i find it later

landkeeper wrote: »
    i've one of those aluminium cartridges somewhere a 20 bore one from memory , it was fired but failed to go off i'll see can i find it later

One of them shells is not a 12 either but it's not the aluminium one !

the beige on 20 bore grand prix or similar :confused:

landkeeper wrote: »
    the beige on 20 bore grand prix or similar :confused:

Close, But no Cigar!:D
    It's an Eley 16g hence it's closeness in size to the 12. 1/16 vs 1/12
    ICI stamped on the bottom.
    The Aluminium one is Dutch 12g No5.

Points to note the discoloration of the brass.
    Two old men slept with there guns broken and the shells in situ in case of robbery.
    The both of them are long dead now, but the story lives on ;)

Did you use cartridges like those in the above post in you early days JW?
    There is a great story to them

not around that long tac , i used to get lunch money gonig to school by friday i had enough for a box or two of the Winchester westerns the box of 10 that folded no 5s.and get a lend/;) of a Stephenson hammer gun and spend the weekend shooting rabbits on the blackstairs mt .

i thought most of the 16 stuff eley made was blue 20 yellow or beige and 12 was orange or redish oh well :( heres a few odds and sods

not around that long tac , i used to get lunch money gonig to school by friday i had enough for a box or two of the Winchester westerns the box of 10 that folded no 5s.and get a lend/;) of a Stephenson hammer gun and spend the weekend shooting rabbits on the blackstairs mt .

I used to buy the box of 10 for same reason, But I was given no money.
    I had a part-time job I got £15 during the summer a day and 20 for a Saturday during the winter.

I'd spend the Sunday shooting what ever was in season or bunnies or both.
    I remember going to the local sweet shop to buy ammo, last time i was there he was out of it lol
    The ammo i mean. he'd keep a few boxes of winchester 6's and a box of HV.22lr or so.
    But he was always cheap!

I used to buy the box of 10 for same reason, But I was given no money.
    I had a part-time job I got £15 during the summer a day and 20 for a Saturday during the winter.

I'd spend the Sunday shooting what ever was in season or bunnies or both.
    I remember going to the local sweet shop to buy ammo, last time i was there he was out of it lol
    The ammo i mean. he'd keep a few boxes of winchester 6's and a box of HV.22lr or so.
    But he was always cheap!

one pound 70 pence a box ,in smiths of enniscorthy .say i was 14 at the time .

• Advertisement

one pound 70 pence a box ,in smiths of enniscorthy .say i was 14 at the time .

JW £2.50 I think was the cheapest I can remember .22lr being. But the super would not let anyone under 21 licence it at the time. I'm not as old as you :D

landkeeper. A nice collection you have.
    16g and 12 were the common ones around me.

Although i know of a fella who still shoots a 20G AFAIK, have not seen him in years.

One thing boards has taught me that there is a lot of differences in how people hunt/shoot around this tiny island of ours.

must be a tribal thing :D

Some ammo dealers around me only sold small calibre as they only sold ammo and the odd shotgun/rifle.

The lad I bought my first shotgun off only kept 7 guns of any description in stock.

How times have changed both good and bad!

Advertisement