Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing movies on a webpage (not embedding from Vimeo/YT)

Options
  • 07-05-2010 8:47pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to embed a video on a webpage and have it darken the rest of the screen when it plays ... I know this can be done as I saw it before but I cant recall where...

Does anyone know software that will do this? I think it was called Showtime or Showreel or something but extensive googling hasnt turned up anything except bad old movies.

Anyone got a slick way or achieving this?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Wait, this is not poker!:pac:

Did the effect you see just darken the browser around the video or was it some sort of full screen effect that wiped out the windows taskbar/start menu too? It may have been some custom silverlight or flash which would be quite difficult to reproduce.

You can however achieve much the same effect with some css, javascript and a regular flash embedded video.

You mention the video is not vimeo or youtube but that doesn't really matter. Be careful using your own file as it won't stream as well unless you have a decent media server.

Before I start spurting out any code examples how are your JS/CSS/HTMl skills? (better than poker I hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

oh and also, what format is the video in?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StiLL-TrAiNinG

Searching around for a little bit I found this:
    http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com/projects/prettyphoto-jquery-lightbox-clone/

It might be suitable for what you're looking for.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool... thanks, that will do in a push I reckon!

I'm trying out a few different things O'C, so I dont have any specific answers to your questions, except my html skills are a bit rusty :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you mean something like lightbox? There's a version out there that allows any HTML to be floated over the page, not just images. I can dig out the link if that's what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You could start with the jquery media player. The lightbox may be what you are after but if you are looking to do a "turn out the lights" a la youtube then it would be easy enough with jquery to alter the colour of everything bar the video.

Advertisement