Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice needs advice on pc build

Options
  • 07-05-2010 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys, I need some advice on building a good gaming pc. I already have the screen, keyboard, mouse, gaming pad, speakers etc.
    Just had the case delivered yesterday. The case is the bmw thermaltake level 10. Can post pics if anyone wants to see it. I have 1000 euro to spend on filling the case. Would like to see a couple of options on the build. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

alch wrote: »
    Hi guys, I need some advice on building a good gaming pc. I already have the screen, keyboard, mouse, gaming pad, speakers etc.
    Just had the case delivered yesterday. The case is the bmw thermaltake level 10. Can post pics if anyone wants to see it. I have 1000 euro to spend on filling the case. Would like to see a couple of options on the build. Thanks in advance :)

Any idea what you want components wise? i5/i5 versus Phenom, quad versus dual core? Does DX11 matter?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Plus we'd need to know your monitor size and resolution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alch

Im just looking for the best i can get for the price. I will be paying someone to do the build for me as i know nothing about this. This is what he suggested to me-
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 3mb
    Asus Radeon 5850 1 gig DDR5
    Asus P5P41C motherboard
    4gig Kingston DDR2 Hyper x 800mhz
    Seagate Barracuda 500 gig Sata/300
    Asus 24 x DVD RW Sata
    Antect 550 watt modular
    Windows 7 pro 64 Bit

Just want to know what other options i have for the price, anything as long as it fits in the case.

Sony SDM-S96D_F DVI-D
    19 inch
    1280 x 1024
    Im happy with this for now. So wont be changing it any time soon.

He's well behind the times. LGA775 is virtually obsolete at this point. New builds are going to be AM3 or LGA1156 (or LGA1366 for high-end machines).

Off the top of my head:

i5-750 CPU. Not sure if the Hyper 212 Plus cooler can fit in the Level 10 though :o
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3 mobo
    2x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 (cheap and cheerful)
    Cheapo HD5750 (€95) if not upgrading monitor, HD5770 1GB (€135) if you are.
    Samsung F3 HDD. COmes in 500GB and 1TB flavours.
    Any non-Sony SATA DVD burner. Asus models are okay but noisy in operation.
    With this build you could even get away with a Corsair CX400, but a Corsair VX550 or Antec Basiq Plus 550D is better.

You might want to get the HD5770 or HD5830 anyway as the above would likely leave you with more than enough change from €1000 to blow €150 on a nice 22" gaming monitor ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Getting a HD5850 for a 19" 1280 x 1024 monitor would be overkill on an epic scale. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

marco_polo wrote: »
    Getting a HD5850 for a 19" 1280 x 1024 monitor would be overkill on an epic scale. :D

Tbh I think he should get the card because then he would realise he's wasting his time with that monitor for gaming and get something bigger & better :D

Ok to recap everything. I have the case a level 10. Might upgrade to a bigger screen in the future. So how does this look?

Processor: Intel Core i5 750

Cpu Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3

RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB : 2X2GB

Graphics: MSI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 HAWK

PSU: Corsair TX650W

Hare Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3

DVD: LG GH22LP20 Super Multi-disc drive

OP SYS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Overall price: 928.61 euro

About €100 more than it should :o Mobo seems to have gone up, CPU is a bit pricey, graphics card is expensive, memory is expensive, OS has gone up and you've overspecified the PSU to boot :o

If everything is a bit pricey is there a better site to buy all this from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Harwareversand.de should have most of those exact components.

My system wasn't a million miles away from that but was a fair bit cheaper but then again I think the prices have gone up a little.

31111925.png

Remember that was 2 or so months ago so you'll have to spec them yourself again.

Add 30 quid on the HD minus 35 on the case and add 100 for OS and is about 800ish

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Already had something similar in a notice so heres an updated version.

987v3t.png

If i were you I'd go with cheaper RAM and GPU though

33ayqe8.png

Advertisement