Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GURU - Files / Folders & Settings - Read this if you have it.

• 07-05-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

If anyone's got Guru, be aware that it does not save its samples in your DAW's project folder - even though you have probably set up consolidation by default.

I'm upgrading to Snow Leopard & L9 over the next few days & currently just getting all my stuff backed up before I do.

So I'm burning all my Audio / Samples to DVDs & in the process, I've been reorganising the folders that they're in too, just to make it easier.

Opened up a Logic 8 track that had a Guru in it & started getting all the searching boxes.. Disaster!

Thank F*** that I knew the way everything was before I reorganised.. Just put everything back the way it was & now tracks are opening up fine once more.

Guru does not save the files outside its own library anywhere. It uses file extentions to point to where you have your 3rd party samples. This is fine if you never move anything.. but if you are going to do a fresh OS install or upgrade, then you'll probably encounter headaches. Its a pain in the hole with Guru as it was only prompting for the sample source folder, rather than the folder & file (The all important name of the missing Sample).

When I opened up one of these Gurus then in Logic, it didnt even have the missing sample name in it - like you would in Reason or Logic etc.. so if its gone - its absolutely F***ing GONE.

The correct way to do it is to save your the Guru in your track as a "Song". You do this by hitting Save which is located just above the Guru Logo, on the right, under the Sequencer matrix. Once you go into it you can save your settings & samples as a Guru Song. You can navigate around & save the folder wherever you want - Probably in your main song project folder is best.

If you need to, you can go into Load (located beside Save) & choose the Guru Song that you want. Its cool actually - I transferred a project from Live the other day like this very quickly.

Just thought I'd share with, as I narrowly missed a nightmare. I'm going to go back now & save these into my individual project folders before I do anything else. If you've got Guru, I'd recommend you do the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

very useful post. if i hadn't moved to maschine I would have lost a lot of stuff without reading this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

This post rings a bell. After painfully downloading a couple million individual zip files from Fxpansion the samples disappeared after a few days and I started hating the program, I felt like I wasted 250 on junk.

I came back to Guru on Sunday and reinstalled all the samples and holy g spot the sounds are so big and clean, those 808's etc... are really amazing, so round and clear..

My friend is moving to LA so he gave me loads of free gear, gave me a ton of free gear including v drums and bass guitars etc.. but I cant setup guru with the drums properly, any takers? I am using it in Pro tools. Some of the beats play through the v drums but the midi learn function isn't working, in fact it's sending PT8 bonkers. Any clues? Anyone? I swear to God if someone can help me trigger Guru with my yamaha dtexpress I will seriously lick their balls. Thanks for the post ICN at least I now know the program is extremely finicky and its not just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Dont know Dav - But I would like to get at least one of my Balls licked, so here's the Guru Forum Help site http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

If you get what you need - dont forget where you heard it! ;) :pac:

Pretty good Forum - Lots of problems visible for all to see!

LOL, but the support is really good.

Advertisement