Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Kill Woodworm In The Attic?

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Damp Store are also well known.

You need to check what each has quoted for or perhaps rather, what they have not quoted for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

if its the small holed wood worm ( 1 to 2 mil holes ) you can do it yourself , with a garden plant sprayer and a paint spray mask to potect ourself
    you can get various woodworm killer liquids in any hardware . along with the mask and sprayer.

total cost about 100 euro plus time .

two coats all round , hot and sweaty , but cheaper !

if its the big holed ones ( 4 mil wide plus ) - better off getting it treated as well as killed ( i think they use awood hardener to fix the weakned wood )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi. Any update on this?

We have woodworm, small holes, in our attic. I want to treat it myself if possible. I was thinking of using Protim, or some other product that can be sprayed on.

One slightly tangent question. I also have some garden fences to spray. I had intended to use Cuprinol for this. Cuprinol do a sprayer for their fence solution. I wonder if anyone knows if this sprayer, or any other sprayer, might do both jobs? Always keen to save a few quid if possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

2 things.

1. You need to be sure that you have a live infestation. If your house is reasonably dry, as any centrally heated house is likely to be then woodworm are not going to find sufficiently dry timber to eat and your wood is safe.

2. The treatments for woodworm are potentially harmful to your health and you should think carefully about having them in your home.

I suggest that you pay an independent advisor (if you can find one) to assess your property before you decide to proceed with treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

useruser wrote: »

2. The treatments for woodworm are potentially harmful to your health and you should think carefully about having them in your home.

As far as I am aware Protim is not available anymore as it is an environmental hazard, but we found a few smaller shops still had a few drums in the back.

We treated our attic and it was a job that would definitely be better off having a professional do for you..never again!

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the responses. I think it will come down to a money decision - if I can get a quote we can afford I'll get them to do it. Otherwise I'll buy a decent mask, a decent sprayer, and protective clothing etc, and do it myself. I'm confident that I can do a good job if I take my time, it's not exactly brain surgery after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hamish262001

Woodies do protim as does heighton buckley less than 30 euro for 5 liters

put it in a bucket and brush it on

put on some PPE first ;) (gloves, suit, glasess)

lash it on and let the timber soak it up

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And when ye poison your families? Remember preservatives are poisons. Deal with these issues responsbily.

Victor wrote: »
    And when ye poison your families? Remember preservatives are poisons. Deal with these issues responsbily.

Dont worry, I know the responsible thing to do would be to take the family out of the attic while spraying, and not put them back up there until it is all dried in.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

smiaras wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hey guys

Just wondering which company did you go with? We have wood worm in the attic now. It was spotted 2 years ago but didn't have the money to do anything about it. The part they were in first in not insulated so its really cold and damp in the cold weather id say. I treated that part myself with the atuff you paint on but my attic is so small i can't stand up in it only crawl but now there in the part that is insulated. Let me know who you went with.

• Advertisement

We went with the damp store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

We went with the damp store

how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking? Is your attic high enough to stand in? cause im only 5,5 and i have to crawl round mine.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    how much did they charge if you don't mind me asking? Is your attic high enough to stand in? cause im only 5,5 and i have to crawl round mine.
    They charged about 550 I think it was, for the main attic and the return attic. It was a horrible job. The main attic you can easily stand in the middle, the return attic not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Google borax and boric acid mix.

It's dirt cheap, non toxic (they use it in contact lens solution), oderless and easy to apply (any sprayer will do) - just make sure you use a mix, pure borax works but will crystallise too quickly to spray.

The US navy's weapon of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

need to spray my attic, asked rentokill for a price and was ridiclous, plus id need to empty the attic myself of insulation.

was thinking of ordering this product, it seems to be borax

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZ7ZB2V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A122HIA47YLUYE&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

http://www.woodworm-info.co.uk/woodworm_shop.htm#Boronpowder

this one as well but its a bit more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Who ever you get to do the job make sure they are giving a guarantee or completion certificate.
    Not important now but should you sell the place you have the paper work !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

need to spray my attic, asked rentokill for a price and was ridiclous, plus id need to empty the attic myself of insulation.

was thinking of ordering this product, it seems to be borax

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZ7ZB2V/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A122HIA47YLUYE&psc=1

Try The damp store.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

davindub wrote: »
    Try The damp store.

Got a quote of €800 from the damp store and reading the quote I have to empty out the attic in preperation as well as covering/sealing the water tank.

This is the grunt work I was expecting to avoid for that price, paying €800 for a couple of hours spraying seems a bit much. Shows how much I know but doing it myself will cover the cost of some new insulation.

Anyone here done it before and like to offer any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Got a quote of €800 from the damp store and reading the quote I have to empty out the attic in preperation as well as covering/sealing the water tank.

This is the grunt work I was expecting to avoid for that price, paying €800 for a couple of hours spraying seems a bit much. Shows how much I know but doing it myself will cover the cost of some new insulation.

Anyone here done it before and like to offer any advice?

I looked at it, to be honest the clearing would be the easy part :( There are some videos online about how to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement