Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound swallow cow bone? Help

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Slight problem. My greyhound was chewing a large cow leg bone and mangaed to chew a smaller piece of the bone off. This part is now missing from her run so I am pretty sure she has swallowed it. The piece was about the size of a small clenched fist. Anyone know if she'll be able to digest this, or if she's likely to choke on it if she tries to throw it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Maybe she chewed it up smaller and then swallowed it? My dogs have swallowed pieces of bone and been fine. I'm not really sure but I think that if she doesn't show any further symptoms she'll probably be fine. Like if she is eating and pooping and acting normally for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

Do you know whether she could have chewed it up first or was it definitely swallowed whole? A fist sized lump of bone could be dodgy once it reaches the gut, so if she is showing any signs of discomfort/abdominal tenderness or is off her food I'd say consult with your vet, they might do an xray or ultrasound to check for obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

She had for a space of around half an hour before my dad noticed it was missing so she could of chewed it up to a slightly smaller size before swallowing it.

She seems fine so far, hasn't started showing any discomfort and isn't off her food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Could a greyhound actually swallow a fist sized bone though? I'd says he probably chewed it up first? Or is it definitely definitely gone, is there anywhere she could have buried it or hidden it? My dog hides bones in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TowerIRL

The dog will be fine, the acid in the dogs stomach wont be long about breaking it down. Bones are very good for dogs as they contain lots of calcium. I feed my dog raw bones and meat all the time and she's very healthy from it. At first it used to frighten me how much she used to break off and swallow lol
    Just keep an eye on her if she's not used to it but she'll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

We own greyhounds and this situation is a constant worry. I have just asked my sister (vet) and she gave the following advice: If your dog has any of these symptoms in the days following the incident go to your vet immediately and request an x-ray.
    is dull
    off his/her food
    is vomiting
    has diarrohea (spelling?)
    If he/she has difficulty going to the toilet it may be a sign of an obstruction.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Advertisement