Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

handed over guns to garda? can we buy any

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

i heard alot of guns i.e shotguns and rifles were handed over this year to the garda as alot people couldn't afford :eek:to keep them.

my questions is, can these handed over guns be bought or be given out by the garda, once turned over :D

for people who cant afford to buy new or used this would be ideal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

jwshooter wrote: »
    there destroyed

Don't be so sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dos29 wrote: »
    Don't be so sure....

Several dealers said they would not take them. So the gardai were stuck with them AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Several dealers said they would not take them. So the gardai were stuck with them AFAIK

It would be nice to see a PQ being put on this topic:D
    On the lines of:
    Would the Minister like to give details on the number of firearms handed in to Garda Stations as a result of the new legislation and what he intends to do with those relinquished firearms.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying the licence fee if i got a free Purdey or two;)
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Generally, firearms that arent relicenced are handed in because there worthless...

With the exception of firearms handed into the gardai and stored since the 70s they can be relicenced and cant be destroyed by the state.

If you hand in your gun to the gardai now you are relinquishing ownership of it so it will be destroyed. If in the event your licence ran out and you didnt hand in your firearm a order can be optained to have your firearm collected and destroyed.

That is how it was explained to me by my FO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Is there any chance we could look for parts off these guns ie a spare stock?? If they are going to be destroyed surely they would not mind paring with that!

How would you go about finding out this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

patsat wrote: »
    Is there any chance we could look for parts off these guns ie a spare stock?? If they are going to be destroyed surely they would not mind paring with that!

How would you go about finding out this?

The easiest way that I can think to put it is ... NO !

If you know that there is a firearm in storage that matches yours unless you know of a firearms officer wholl put his neck on the line to help you then your sh*t out of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I do remember a couple of lads i knew in kildare buying rifles from the local station , they weren't exactly holland and hollands but the fact you've bought the gun from them must give them an added incentive to get the licence sorted out quickly :D.
    I often wonder what would happen to a high class firearm if it were to be handed into the station , is the value taken into account or are they disposed of regardless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I do remember a couple of lads i knew in kildare buying rifles from the local station

:eek:

Oh, I can see the headlines:

"Rogue Gardai involved in illegal weapons trading scandal"

or

"We sell 'em: Hot Fuzz flog Hot Shooters to buy Hot Sex"

(Depending on which particular rag one does be reading:rolleyes:)

Since when was the Local Garda Barracks authorised as a Registered Firearms Dealer? And who got the cash? Hmmmmmm.....:D:D:D:rolleyes:

(Disclaimer Disclaimer Disclaimer: I'm joking. No reference to any persons living or dead is implied or may be inferred by the abovementioned humourous, pithy, and sarcastic remarks. Now, go away, lawyer-types!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

dCorbus wrote: »
    :eek:

Oh, I can see the headlines:

"Rogue Gardai involved in illegal weapons trading scandal"

or

"We sell 'em: Hot Fuzz flog Hot Shooters to buy Hot Sex"

(Depending on which particular rag one does be reading:rolleyes:)

Since when was the Local Garda Barracks authorised as a Registered Firearms Dealer? And who got the cash? Hmmmmmm.....:D:D:D:rolleyes:

(Disclaimer Disclaimer Disclaimer: I'm joking. No reference to any persons living or dead is implied or may be inferred by the abovementioned humourous, pithy, and sarcastic remarks. Now, go away, lawyer-types!:D)

seems it was common enough practise at the time , that was a good while ago and maybe things have changed.
    i was happy enough though, as the mossberg rifle one of the lads bought had a harris bipod on it and he proclaimed it " a stuoopid fuookin yolk" so i swaped him 100 rounds of eley for it and all was well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

you used be able , in fact we have one (well my dad) a lovely lanbar that we got for a great price .. this was about 15 years ago tho
    Dar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well,there must be somthing in it all the same.If you read the firearms acts.There is a section on surrendering firearms to the Gardai if you cant liscense them.The Super can offer for sale the firearm for a certain period of time,befoer it is destroyed.If it looks unsellable the Super can cause it to be destroyed and must inform the owner of this in writing.Now it doesnt state[as usual] the who ,what,where,how this sale and transaction is supposed to take place.BUT it is seemingly possible.
    So in THEORY you could ask the FO or whomever is in charge,IF you have a firearm that is exactly the same as one being destroyed that you could buy parts for your gun off the condemned one.How you go doing this in practise,is another bucket of Cod.

Firearms act 1964

(d) if the person does not, within three months after the delivery of the firearm and ammunition (if any) to the Superintendent, arrange for its or their disposal in accordance with the provisions of this Act, inform the Superintendent of the arrangements and carry out the arrangements, the Superintendent may send to the person by post to his last known address a notice informing him that unless arrangements of the kind aforesaid are made, communicated to the Superintendent and carried out within one month after the date on which the notice is sent, the firearm and ammunition (if any) will be sold or destroyed,

[GA] (e) if within one month after the date on which the notice aforesaid is sent, arrangements of the kind aforesaid are not made, communicated to the Superintendent and carried out, the Superintendent may cause the firearm and ammunition (if any) to be sold and shall, as soon as may be, cause the proceeds of the sale to be paid to the person,

[GA] (f) the Superintendent may cause to be destroyed any firearm or ammunition that has been offered for sale under paragraph (e) of this section and has not been sold if, in the opinion of the Superintendent, the firearm or ammunition is unlikely to be sold if offered for sale again and shall send to the person by post to his last known address a notice informing him of such destruction,

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well,there must be somthing in it all the same.If you read the firearms acts.There is a section on surrendering firearms to the Gardai if you cant liscense them.The Super can offer for sale the firearm for a certain period of time,befoer it is destroyed.If it looks unsellable the Super can cause it to be destroyed and must inform the owner of this in writing.Now it doesnt state[as usual] the who ,what,where,how this sale and transaction is supposed to take place.BUT it is seemingly possible.
    So in THEORY you could ask the FO or whomever is in charge,IF you have a firearm that is exactly the same as one being destroyed that you could buy parts for your gun off the condemned one.How you go doing this in practise,is another bucket of Cod.

Does it raise the moral question though?
    Like buying repo'ed stuff, profiting off somebody else's misfortune?

If i had to hand over my glock last year I would not have wanted to see it for sale a month later, just my 2 cents.

I do understand an old rifle/shotgun worth less than the licence fee and I did see my uncle in law handing in a rusted piece of what used to be called a shotgun to the gardaí as it was not serviceable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Seized guns as in pistols , would doubt if they were for sale and if so I wouldnt take one.

but ones where people didnt want to or had no reason too relicense would be ok I would think ..
    I havent heard of any shotties or rifles been forceable removed so if its personal choice to hand in , I probably wouldnt have too much of a moral issue with it .

btw the one we got from them was part of huge amount of FAs that were sold , they blonged to a gun dealer who passed away and his business closed and the FA were seized .

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Pistols,why ever not?
    IF I was in that unfortunate situation,I would rather know that my gun is still being used by somone .
    Rather than being melted down,or as in some cases rumour hassit becoming a "personal" for the Gardai and the ERU types themselves .:eek: [Sorry,I am not inclined to now provide free firearms to this State.They get enough in taxes out of us to go and properly equip their own law enforcement out of the tax payers expense without using our confiscated property against us.]

At least if you have any morality you would offer the market price for it in Ireland,or close to it.So the dispossessed wouldnt be too out of pocket.Not the usual Irish trick of saying conviently",Ah shure its only worthXX amount in the EU.":rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There are too many variables on this to make general points. HAVING to surrender a gun is quite different to offloading it.

The way it always worked (and works) in my parish was to mention to a friendly garda that you were in the market for a shotgun/rifle and he would say "lave it with me" and he would have someone in mind. Later, a cup of tea and you would have a gun, a licence and someone happy to be rid of a gun and knowing it to have gone to a good home. It also eased up the license position. I do know of one case where because of an infraction the cop told the owner that he would be "advised" to sell it. Even that I would consider fair.

I had a gun I was less than keen on, mentioned it as above and a neighbour's son was delighted to get it. Problem was that his payment was with JCB & fencing work in an adjoining field, garden extension for SWMBO:(

Advertisement