Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about buying Final Fantasy 13

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Anyone here play Final Fantasy 13 i'm a big fan of the ff series but i'm not sure if i'll enjoy this because the battle system looks much more complex than the previous final fantasies. Is it difficult to get to grips with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Like yourself ive played all the others and this battle system is by far the easiest. A bit too easy actually, you might get a bit confused when it first explains it to you first but youll get into the hang of it in no time.Each character works by themselves and if you are suffering from something or low health, your team mate will heal/esuna you with out any hassle. If the battle system is the only thing stopping you from getting the game, you should defo get it. Its €35 in hmv at the moment and its a brilliant game. Only strange thing about the game is tha its divided into chapters, and free roam doesnt happen until youve over 30 hours put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

As a fan you should check it out to see how far the series has sunk. I find the battle system to be the most enjoyable thing about this game but have yet to come across any problems. It's too linear with not enough cool side characters, in fact one of the main characters will have you wanting to break the game disc.

If you want an engrossing Action RPG I'd go with Yakuza 3, I'm totallly digging it at the moment. Balances crazy and serious so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

tonydude wrote: »
    , and free roam doesnt happen until youve over 30 hours put in.

Thats a bit of a stretch but guess ill give it a whack. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I am thinking of renting this game too. I have never played a final fantasy game before. I generally like RPGs. I love the graphics on this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Its an average Final fantasy. Worst one ive played yet and I love the series. Didnt even like the battle system that much and the character leveling up grid is rubbish. Theres no thinking or staregy involved in it its just hold a untill your points are gone. By the end of it youl have it used complete anyways. Everything about the game is linear. Needless to say I traded it in after I finished it few weeks back and got 32 quid for it!

• Advertisement

I got it when it first came out and thought it was absolute pants. The characters all annoyed me, the story bored me and the Paradigm system just took away from the whole experience of customising your own battle style. That's my take on it.
    Though to be fair I haven't really liked a Final Fantasy since IX. IMO the series became all about the graphics and forgot about everything else that made their games so epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

ordered FFXIII, Yakuza 3 & silent hill blu ray for £41incl vat on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Its easily the worst FF game i played (didnt play enough of XII to form an opinion and XI doesnt count)

I picked it up on release being a huge FF fan. Played through it until the second last chapter then God of War 3 came out and I havent touched it since. Every time i switch on the Playstation i have a look through the games i think ill have a play of and i just cant get back into actually finishing FF13. Maybe i have out grown Japanese RPG cause i also picked up Resonance of Fate and Tales of Vesperia on the Xbox and i havent finished neither of them. There is an auto battle command. AUTO BATTLE I mean seriously. I refused to use it and....Im goin to eat my dinner **** this

its by no means a classic like ff8 or ff10, its just a straight story with no activities like mini games or small quests. Just the mark missions at the end. Im a big ff fan but this was a massive failure, so dissapointed.

I guess i will just rent it. There is so much hype around the game.
    It sold well over a 2 million copies aparently.

• Advertisement

got it, played a decent 10 or 15 hours of it and now im trading it. unlike any other ff game ive played in the worst way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

This game sucks massive balls, the people in gamestop are probably still laughing at me cos I was stupid enough to pre-order it. I still live with the embarrassment and shame. This is just Square Enix bending us over and having their way with us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

jmx009 wrote: »
    I guess i will just rent it. There is so much hype around the game.
    It sold well over a 2 million copies aparently.

So has Jordans biographies.

Dont even rent the game, the first twenty hours are basically a tutorial of the battle system (which isn't even complicated anyway) and when you finally get full control, you are given one not particularly large open area with the only thing you can do is fight optional bosses (the marks minigame), about half of which will require stupid amounts of incredibly boring level grinding in order to be strong enough to fight.

There are no other mini-games at all, the battle system is crap (either it will just be boring with fairly little tactics to it, or it will be incredibly frustating becaue you have so little input during battles), only one half decent charcater (half decent because half the time he is written as what can only be nicely described as "black guy stereotype, as understood by asians") and the story line is bad it was probably written by the love child of the guys who wrote Avatar and the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Avoid at all costs.

So has Jordans biographies.

Dont even rent the game, the first twenty hours are basically a tutorial of the battle system (which isn't even complicated anyway) and when you finally get full control, you are given one not particularly large open area with the only thing you can do is fight optional bosses (the marks minigame), about half of which will require stupid amounts of incredibly boring level grinding in order to be strong enough to fight.

There are no other mini-games at all, the battle system is crap (either it will just be boring with fairly little tactics to it, or it will be incredibly frustating becaue you have so little input during battles), only one half decent charcater (half decent because half the time he is written as what can only be nicely described as "black guy stereotype, as understood by asians") and the story line is bad it was probably written by the love child of the guys who wrote Avatar and the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Avoid at all costs.

Spot on mate very well said, anyone thinking about buying it should read the quote above. Will we ever see the likes of 7 or 8 again?

TheTosh wrote: »
    Will we ever see the likes of 7 or 8 again?

Just downloaded 7 on my PS3 yesterday! :D

I rented this game and i am currently playing it.
    The only thing that i like about this game so far is the graphics, especially the characters !
    Apart from that this aint my type of game.
    I love western RPG's, so i thought i will give FF13 a try and see what jrpgs are like and i am dissapointed.

I have never played the final fantasy series before, can someone tell me how this one is different from the previous versions?

The -'s
    Theres no free roam until the very end and its very limited to mark missions, the battle system is very basic, no tactics behind it, the fancy allies (cant think of there names) are pointless, No ifirit, and no mini games. Stupid characters which become annoying ie. vanille/hope. Theres also very few cgi cinematics.The story is weird and confusing. FF13 is by far the worst ff made. Dont be turned off the ff series by this new game.Try ff10 or ff12

The +'s
    The graphics. Thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have been dieing for the Retr0gamer review on this for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I was listening to one of the 1up podcasts a few weeks back. One of them (David Ellis I think, before he left) was claiming Square were so pissed at the dev team behind FF13 that they announced the release of 14 before 13 was released globally just to shame them.

I've actually never played any of the FF games. I got 7 back when it came out due to hype, never played it and gave it to somebody for a loan never to see it again.

I always meant to check one of them out but never do. I think 13 was on sale last week on game.co.uk for about 20 quid. Seems to have gone back up to £27 now.

Did anyone else get an australian feel off the game or just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im not a fan of this game at all

I miss the days of Active Time Battle in ff (like ff7)so it will be unfair to comment on ff13 battle system

I find the characters so very bland and uninteresting, I remember the days when I would get immerse in ff games but the last 2, especially this one have ruined the franchise for me

I also find it hard to understand the mechanics of the game like the paradigm Shift stuff. 2 things that irritates me is having full health after each battle and I know its little thing but i honestly miss the shops. ff is pretty linear game I find too

im stuck on these 2 bosses with afro and the little girl (notice i cant be bothered to remember their names) and they try to creep past these beast but get caught, I just cant be bothered to beat them, I just have the strength to finish this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Láidir wrote: »
    didnt know you could get that on psn

didnt know you could get that on psn

yah its under psone games you can also download ff8.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

TheTosh wrote: »
    Did anyone else get an australian feel off the game or just me

Possibly because of their Australian accents??? Especially Fang.

It was a struggle tp choose which character was most annoying but in the end it has to be Vanille. In every scene she's sighing or whinging, it sounds like she's having an orgasim, seriously I actually had to mute the tv in some scenes.

The game itself is pance, I've played every FF since 7 came out, this one was by far the worst. I had chest pains playing it. Got to the end game boss, obviously got 1 hitted several times, googled it and read how difficult it is to kill him, packed it in at the last boss, couldn't be bothered.

jmx009 wrote: »
    I rented this game and i am currently playing it.
    The only thing that i like about this game so far is the graphics, especially the characters !
    Apart from that this aint my type of game.
    I love western RPG's, so i thought i will give FF13 a try and see what jrpgs are like and i am dissapointed.

I have never played the final fantasy series before, can someone tell me how this one is different from the previous versions?

Each Final Fantasy tends to be quite different from the others, but these are where I believe that Final Fantasy is different for worse:
    1: The battle system is quite different in this one to all the rest. Most of the FF games have an ATB in some form or another (ie you choose what action to do and have to wait an alotted time before it happens, or vice-versa), but in FF13, you control so little of the action. It didn't bother everyone, but it does take a lot of the interest out of most of the fights (most you just keep clicking autobattle). Usually in FF games, you control a group of 3 or 4 and you pick all the actions for the team.

2: The enviroment structure was a massive let down. There where no towns, essentially no npcs to interact with, and you are essentially forced down a single linear dungeon (but with different coloured wall papers) for most of the game (Other FFs will break up dungeons with world maps and towns to explore, there may not always be items or new places to be found, but it helps to give the game world a better sense of reality).

3: No sidegames. Some of the best things about the FFs have been the sidegames, you can break up the story and just relax and play card games, or go to an amusement park or play weird underwater volley ball, its just another thing that varies the gameplay and broadens the game world.

4: The story. Its just awful. It makes no sense, is poorly and did I say its just awful? Most of the FF stories are quite good: FF6, 7 and 10 are pretty interesting stories, 9 is ok (its a throw back to the older games, has some good bits) and 8 is stupid as a bag of hammers but somewhat entertaining. 12 used to be the FF I hated, as I found it incredibly boring and I couldn't undertsand why, after maybe 5-10h of gameplay, the "main character" was completely ignored in everything (I found out later that the guy you play in the game, an irritating teen, wasn't the original main character, a older soldier a bit like Aragorn in LOTR, but was changed to so to be more easily accessible to Japanese teens), but it makes a kind of sense.

I wouldn't take 13 as representative of JRPGs. If you can get them, FF6, FF7 and FF10 are all excellent games. Also Dragon Quest 8 is great game too (a bit hard, but it doesn't feel cheap in its difficulty). For more ideas you can see the Top 10 JRPGs that everyone must play thread on the JRPG

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    The game itself is pance, I've played every FF since 7 came out, this one was by far the worst. I had chest pains playing it. Got to the end game boss, obviously got 1 hitted several times, googled it and read how difficult it is to kill him, packed it in at the last boss, couldn't be bothered.

I was really lucky because I didn't get one hit killed while beating him:), but then i was really unlucky because I sat through the ending in all its moronic glory and got a head ache trying to understand it:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

I was really lucky because I didn't get one hit killed while beating him:), but then i was really unlucky because I sat through the ending in all its moronic glory and got a head ache trying to understand it:(.

Note to self, Dont buy FF13:p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff[/url]

this review on FF13 sums up the game perfectly, a complete ball of ****e! So dissapointed with it, Versus 13 is supposed to be a way more open though, its got airships and world-maps and the like.
    Láidir wrote: »

9 is up on the psn now too. I must buy an 8 gb memory stick to have 7, 8 and 9 all in the same place, that'll be sweet.

Advertisement