Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Dianette

Options
  • 07-05-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Basically I've started Dianette, it's the first time i've been on the pill.
    Apart from nausea which I hear is normal I have a very sore tummy and my body has been constantly aching.

I'm wondering is this normal and will it go away, or should I be a bit more worried?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Saaron wrote: »
    Basically I've started Dianette, it's the first time i've been on the pill.
    Apart from nausea which I hear is normal I have a very sore tummy and my body has been constantly aching.

I'm wondering is this normal and will it go away, or should I be a bit more worried?

Will probably go away. Its a normal side effect.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

why would you take a tablet that would make you feel like that :confused::eek:

irishbird wrote: »
    why would you take a tablet that would make you feel like that :confused::eek:

All drugs have side-effects, most of which are tolerated after a few days. I presume she's taking it because she has acne or isn't ready to push a pram around yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I have tried lots of types of pills including Dianette but they all gave me bad side effects and I couldn't stay on them. Migranes, aches, sickness etc.

They then tried me on a really low strength pill called Yasminelle but I just ended up bleeding all the time (i stuck with it for 3 months). This type is supposed to have the least side effects according to my GP.

Some peoples bodies get used to the pill after a few months and have no side effects. I know others who changed the pill type and they were fine but being on the Pill didn't suit my body anyway.

You should go back to the doctor and see what he/she has to say if the symptoms dont go away

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Yeah, i'm taking this due to mild acne, but I'm beginning to think I should have just tolerated the acne. I've since heard horrible things about Dianette!

I've looked up a bit about Yasmin, I'd definitely try it if this pill causes problems after 3 months. They all seem to have side effects though, but I guess it's a case of finding one that HOPEFULLY works...

I'm just a bit worried about this particular one as it's only meant for short term use, and I didn't know of all the terrible side effects until after I was prescribed it :( Really hoping I'm reasonably lucky.. yikes!

• Advertisement

Saaron wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm taking this due to mild acne, but I'm beginning to think I should have just tolerated the acne. I've since heard horrible things about Dianette!

I've looked up a bit about Yasmin, I'd definitely try it if this pill causes problems after 3 months. They all seem to have side effects though, but I guess it's a case of finding one that HOPEFULLY works...

I'm just a bit worried about this particular one as it's only meant for short term use, and I didn't know of all the terrible side effects until after I was prescribed it :( Really hoping I'm reasonably lucky.. yikes!

I wouldnt base any decisions on other peoples experiences of this pill. Everyone responds differently. Give a go for a few more days, if you're still having problems you can go back to your GP and ask to try something different.

sesna wrote: »
    I wouldnt base any decisions on other peoples experiences of this pill. Everyone responds differently. Give a go for a few more days, if you're still having problems you can go back to your GP and ask to try something different.

Oh yes, I just wanted to see what other people thought. I am due to go back in three months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

I've just been prescribed dianette for moderate acne. I didn't intend to go on the pill and the thoughts of it is really making me uneasy. I got the prescription filled, read the information book, and am now terrified of taking it, so I haven't started it yet. Is the pill the only option?

toothie wrote: »
    I've just been prescribed dianette for moderate acne. I didn't intend to go on the pill and the thoughts of it is really making me uneasy. I got the prescription filled, read the information book, and am now terrified of taking it, so I haven't started it yet. Is the pill the only option?

I'm the same ! I've only been on it a few days and was quite nervous to begin it. I must say the nausea and aches are beginning to lessen. I'm more afraid of the long term side effects. I'm definitely going to try it for a while to see how it affects me.

I also have moderate acne. I know there is another pill Roaccutane (I think that's it) which is for acne but I don't believe it's a contraceptive, yet I don't know much about it really :(

I've never had much luck trying to get rid of my acne which is mostly around my chin, I do notice when I eat healthier and drink lots of water it isn't as bad but it's still always there. Sadly I don't know any other ways to get rid of it longterm. Bit of a bummer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Dianette is actually the only pill I've ever used that didn't cause any side effects at all. I was on it for about two years, never had any problems. The doctor took me off it then because apparently you're not meant to use it for more than a few months. (I wasn't using it for acne or anything, just as contraception.)

I've tried a few others since, Celeste, Yasmin, Microlite ... had yucky side effects on all of them.

One thing I'd recommend, with any pill, is that as well as being aware of the potential side effects yourself, that you ask a close friend/family member/partner to look out for changes in you. Sometimes, if you're acting funny or moody or anything, you mightn't necessarily realise it yourself, or you mightn't connect it with being on the pill. I.e. you might be having totally irrational mood swings or whatever, but in your head you're behaving completely normally and reacting appropriately to the situation. Kind of like PMS. :o

Personally I've given up on finding a pill that works for me, and am using other methods of contraception. However I wouldn't let the information booklet/online horror stories scare you off. After all plenty of women use Dianette, or other pills, with no side effects at all. And I have to say, the convenience of being on the pill when it's working out for you is great - light painless periods, knowing exactly when to expect your period, the option of taking packs back-to-back and missing a period if you're on hols etc, no PMS ...

I'd advise you to at least give it a go, if it's not working out or if you're having bad side effects you can always decide to stop taking it at any time.

• Advertisement

Thats the problem with peoples interpretation of information leaflets. Legally the company is obliged to report every possible side-effect, doesn't mean you are going to suffer from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Thanks for the replies. I know I should really give it a go, but if there was a more natural alternative, I'd be happier to go down that route. I've been treated for depression in the past and also have IBS, so I really don't want to risk these returning or getting worse.

Dianette is actually the only pill I've ever used that didn't cause any side effects at all. I was on it for about two years, never had any problems. The doctor took me off it then because apparently you're not meant to use it for more than a few months. (I wasn't using it for acne or anything, just as contraception.)

I've tried a few others since, Celeste, Yasmin, Microlite ... had yucky side effects on all of them.

One thing I'd recommend, with any pill, is that as well as being aware of the potential side effects yourself, that you ask a close friend/family member/partner to look out for changes in you. Sometimes, if you're acting funny or moody or anything, you mightn't necessarily realise it yourself, or you mightn't connect it with being on the pill. I.e. you might be having totally irrational mood swings or whatever, but in your head you're behaving completely normally and reacting appropriately to the situation. Kind of like PMS. :o

Personally I've given up on finding a pill that works for me, and am using other methods of contraception. However I wouldn't let the information booklet/online horror stories scare you off. After all plenty of women use Dianette, or other pills, with no side effects at all. And I have to say, the convenience of being on the pill when it's working out for you is great - light painless periods, knowing exactly when to expect your period, the option of taking packs back-to-back and missing a period if you're on hols etc, no PMS ...

I'd advise you to at least give it a go, if it's not working out or if you're having bad side effects you can always decide to stop taking it at any time.

Thank you! That's great advice! It gives me confidence to know of someone that had no side effects at all, my mom and boyfriend will definitely be ones to tell me straight out if they notice anything different about me.

It's a pity that this can only be used short term, I don't really like the idea of having to try find other pills once i've used this for too long, like you said it's quite convenient! :) Hopefully this works well!

Thanks for the replies. I know I should really give it a go, but if there was a more natural alternative, I'd be happier to go down that route. I've been treated for depression in the past and also have IBS, so I really don't want to risk these returning or getting worse.

Well at least if it does cause depression etc you can just stop using it immediately and hopefully go back to normal :)

I agree though, a more natural alternative would seem a lot less risky & stressful. Oh the joy of hormones :P

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I know all pill affect people differently but I would steer clear of Dianette. I was on it for a couple of months a few years back to help my skin and of course for birth control. It made me really depressed and I put up weight. I changed to Cliest-have been on this one veer since and I love it, no nast side effects for me. Isnt Dianette really strong??

closifer wrote: »
    I know all pill affect people differently but I would steer clear of Dianette. I was on it for a couple of months a few years back to help my skin and of course for birth control. It made me really depressed and I put up weight. I changed to Cliest-have been on this one veer since and I love it, no nast side effects for me. Isnt Dianette really strong??

You should have stopped here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

sesna wrote: »
    You should have stopped here then.

Wow-friendly!! I was under the impression that the girl was looking for advice and varying opinions from those who had been on Dianette.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement