Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie buying a car: NCT significance, red flags, paperwork to check

• 07-05-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a 1997 Fiesta (120k, 1.1L) that is NCTed until January 2012. This sounds promising, but is the NCT really a reliable indicator of it being in good shape?

I had a look through the NCT manual, read the list of stuff that gets tested. It seems pretty thorough to me, but I don't know a whole lot about this.

When one is looking at an old car that has recently passed an NCT, what are the big things a newbie (both in terms of driving and car maintenance) should look out for?

What sort of service history paperwork should one be looking out for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

phaxx wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 1997 Fiesta (120k, 1.1L) that is NCTed until January 2012. This sounds promising, but is the NCT really a reliable indicator of it being in good shape?

I had a look through the NCT manual, read the list of stuff that gets tested. It seems pretty thorough to me, but I don't know a whole lot about this.

When one is looking at an old car that has recently passed an NCT, what are the big things a newbie (both in terms of driving and car maintenance) should look out for?

What sort of service history paperwork should one be looking out for?

Thanks!

I'm sure others will respond too, but here is my opinion.

1. Who are you buying from? If it's a dealer, try get a guarantee of maybe 6 months given the high mileage on this car. Otherwise if something breaks when you have just bought it, you could be left with expensive repairs.

A good dealer with nothing to hide will give you a guarantee.

2. Get someone with very good knowledge of cars to have a look over it before buying, eg your dad, a friendly mechanic, etc.

3. A new NCT will mean it should have good brakes, tyres, lights etc. It won't tell you what shape the gear box is in, and other important parts of the car, so that's why you need someone with good knowledge to test drive it. Also it may be due a timing belt, so look for that in the service history. Replacing a timing belt is an expensive job costing a couple hundred euro.

4. Last piece of advice, don't let your heart over-rule your head. The car may look good on the outside, but could end up an expensive mistake if it keeps breaking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm sure others will respond too, but here is my opinion.

1. Who are you buying from? If it's a dealer, try get a guarantee of maybe 6 months given the high mileage on this car. Otherwise if something breaks when you have just bought it, you could be left with expensive repairs.

A good dealer with nothing to hide will give you a guarantee.

2. Get someone with very good knowledge of cars to have a look over it before buying, eg your dad, a friendly mechanic, etc.

3. A new NCT will mean it should have good brakes, tyres, lights etc. It won't tell you what shape the gear box is in, and other important parts of the car, so that's why you need someone with good knowledge to test drive it. Also it may be due a timing belt, so look for that in the service history. Replacing a timing belt is an expensive job costing a couple hundred euro.

4. Last piece of advice, don't let your heart over-rule your head. The car may look good on the outside, but could end up an expensive mistake if it keeps breaking down.

The car is a bog basic spec 13 year old fiesta. I wouldn't be expecting a 6 month warranty tbh! Obviously it'd be nice to have, but be realistic. The car probably only costs 500 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As already stated NCT doesn't cover everything on a car but is a good check if it was done recently. If the car has passed the NCT emissions test, it is a pretty good indication that the engine is in decent condition. Also, one of the biggest worries on a 97 Fiesta would be body rust, if there was any bad rust on the car the NCT tester *should* find it.

Service history on a 13 year old Fiesta - likely to be patchy or non existent. If there is a record of the car being serviced in the last couple of years then that's as much as I'd expect, anything else is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

With Fiestas check all the electrics work. Start the car from cold and check for blue smoke comming from the exhaust. The car should also change gear smoothly for you. Ask the seller when the last full dealer service was. And whaen the timing belt was done.

Suspension bushings also need changing periodicaly, Pretty cheap cars to run and fix. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Great! Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I found a book called Collins Car Basics (everything you should know but probably don't) very handy when I started driving. It give some tips on buying and maintenance etc. I got it in my library. Check it out, it might help you.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Also, one of the biggest worries on a 97 Fiesta would be body rust, if there was any bad rust on the car the NCT tester *should* find it.
    Yep - my 1995 Fiesta failed an NCT due to some underbody rust. Cost me about €40 to fix (a guy welded on some new metal). If the NCT didn't turn any up, things are looking alright.

I hope it has power steering though, mine didn't... apart from that it was a decent car :)

Advertisement