Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestwatch - Blue Tit Cam

Options
  • 07-05-2010 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

With the robins having departed, Ive got 30 of the primary school children I teach obsessed with the camera in the blue tit nest.

Sorry to the mods if theres already a discussion thread on the blue tits going.

Just wondering, we've noticed in the past couple of days that the male doesnt seem to be going in to feed the mother as much as I've seen in previous years. Is it normal that maybe the male is feeding the female outside the nest on her visits outside?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

4 hatched today! 3 eggs to go. Fingers crossed they'll all hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I only see 4 babies and 2 eggs. What happened? And does anyone know how long before they begin to feed them?

Jinxi wrote: »
    I only see 4 babies and 2 eggs. What happened? And does anyone know how long before they begin to feed them?

I could see the female feeding the ones that had hatched straight away this afternoon. Amazing to see them opening their mouths looking for food, only a few hours after coming out of their eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's amazing how quickly they've grown. They're ready to fledge any day now. http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/features/mooneycam/bluetitcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Very close to the time when they leave the box. A few of them have taken to jumping up to the entrance hole and peeking out.

• Advertisement

A fly just went into the box and they all went mental trying to catch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Does anyone know if the nestlings are more likely to fledge during morning, afternoon or night??Or is it just totally random??!!I'm watching it round the clock, would love to catch a glimpse of one fledging...it's so addictive!:)

Yea, I'm afraid I'm going to log in tomorrow morning to find them gone!!! How sad am I? I think they usually leave the nest early in the morning when the time comes to go. They are so cute, - its a pity we cant have a view of the outside of the box in order to see them spread their little wings and head into the great blue yonder.:)

Just watching them sleeping in the nest now. All huddled together and snoozing. It is a little sad if you conside that if they fledge tomorrow, that tonight will be the last time they will every have that communal warmth and safety.

Its great though that all 7 have made it this far. Its good for the species for so many to be ready to fledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

7.30 am
    They're still in the box

Yup, - still there!

Is it just me, or has anyone else only counted six chicks this morning?

There was defo seven last night.

Seems to be a bit of wing testing and stretching going on.

I counted 7 earlier.
    Is there one hiding in mid back left?

EDIT Just now, when the one went to top, 6 could be counted below

Yep spotted that the seven were still there when one was hanging onto the side of the box.

Not long to go before they start to file out methinks.

Looks a bit lifeless though...?

doesn't seem to be moving, only 6 heads raising when parent comes in.

number 7s little head is back to moving about again :)

Some serious wing stretching going on with what seems to be the biggest chick.

Yea, - there seems to be one smaller and weaker than the others, - it appears to lose out on the feeding every time.

Took a bit of time out.
    The 7 showing well now.

The little one does seem to miss out on the food. I hope he makes it after getting this far.

• Advertisement

It's getting so exciting!!they keep flapping about!!

All 7 still in there. I think an early start bank holiday Monday if you want to see them leave

Am surprised that they did not go today. There were a few moments where I thought "This is it", but nowt happened.

Mind you, the day is not done yet, and the Robin cam showed how late in the day birds will fledge. Think it was after 21:30 when the young robins left the nest box, so there still is time for them to jump ship today, but it does seem more likely that tomorrow will be the day.

I just hope the weather holds for them whenever they do it.

I see 6, i assume the 7th is still there as well.

Tell them to get out soon, it may be a wet aftewrnoon.

the nest looks kind of empty-did some of them go flap flap this morning or are they all tucked up in there still??

ok just seen 6 mouths open for feeding- perhaps the bigger one flew away this morning?Did anyone catch that?

Edit-just seen all 7 feeding now!

I was sure they'd be gone this morning! The parents look a bit shattered, - they look like I feel after a long bank holiday weekend when all my kids come home to roost with their partners, - all that shopping and cooking and cleaning the bathroom! Still, I bet they'll miss them when they're gone :)

Jeez are these kids EVER going to leave home? :D

One had jumped up and was looking out the hole a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement

If I looked out of my warm little box and saw that weather, Id stay and wait for my mother to feed me too! :)

Advertisement