Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestwatch - Blue Tit Cam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He/she was up and clinging to the top of the box again.

Now has gone up to the hole and is looking outside.

And jumps back down again.

and jumps back up again. :D

Looks like this little fella has itchy feet and wants to see the outside world soon.

If you miss seeing them leaving the nest is it possible to replay the coverage? You cant be watching all the time and it's a shame not to witness the big moment after all these weeks!

• Advertisement

inthehat wrote: »
    If you miss seeing them leaving the nest is it possible to replay the coverage? You cant be watching all the time and it's a shame not to witness the big moment after all these weeks!

I don't think so. RTE in their infinite wisdom do not seem to be recording the footage.

So it will be like the young robins in the other nest box. Either you get lucky and are watching when they leave or you get to see nothing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭sqlpod

pity the small guys at the back though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Kess73 wrote: »
    I don't think so. RTE in their infinite wisdom do not seem to be recording the footage.

So it will be like the young robins in the other nest box. Either you get lucky and are watching when they leave or you get to see nothing. :(

Yes, I got no answer to an email query re that for the robins. I also mentioned it would nice to have a view of the outside of the boxes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think they must underestimate the number of people who are keeping an eye on the chicks. It makes no sense that they wouldnt record the last 24 hours or so. It cant be that huge of a technological effort?

Still no sign of action. Both parents still feeding the chicks in the box.

I think your'e right, they underestimated the amazing interest it is generating, hopefully they will take this on board and and add a couple more features next year, i agree an external cam and replay with volume ?

• Advertisement

The blue tits may not have fledged as of yet today, but the coal tits in my garden have being doing so over the last hour. Five little balls of fluff have emerged and have been busy cheeping to be fed. :D

Excellent :) Ive had a nestbox out for 2 years in a couple of different places but no takers yet.

Trotter wrote: »
    Excellent :) Ive had a nestbox out for 2 years in a couple of different places but no takers yet.

This year in the garden I have had dunnocks, robins, great tit, greenfinch, starling (spit), and now Coal tit fledge. I have a pair of wren who have a nest in the garden, but have not seen any young wren, but they could be there as well.

I have also had young blackbird, chaffinch, redpoll, goldcrest, and various corvids so far this year.

I know the female sparrowhawk is sitting at the moment, so I am expecting to see her little killers fledge somewhere around the middle two weeks of July.

With your nest box,if you have not already done so, make sure that they are out of direct sunlight as much as possible. That they are ideally north facing, and with plenty of cover. And not too close to one another and as far away from any feeders or feeding areas you have.

Nest boxes can be funny things, sometimes you can get lucky and have a bird use it the first spring you have it out, other times the box can sit for years without use.

Wonderful, we are trying to turn our garden into a haven for Birds and insect,s this year so as to attract nestings next year, so far only downer our the Cat's yeah we know they have a place as well but give the little ones a CHANCE !!!

I live in a housing estate and there's no trees in the garden just yet. I've a few bird feeders up and Ive a resident great tit and some sparrows living close by.

Trotter wrote: »
    I live in a housing estate and there's no trees in the garden just yet. I've a few bird feeders up and Ive a resident great tit and some sparrows living close by.

Fingers crossed that one of your visitors will decide to use your box at some point. :)

Getting late to fledge today, shame back to work tommorow..

Is it just me or does there seem to be damp coming down from the top fight of the box as you look at it? Is it raining heavy in Dublin now?

Also did anybody notice the inside of the box suddenly getting brighter about twenty minutes ago?

I'd say there's heavy rain blowing into the box. No harm anyway.. They're like teenagers refusing to leave the house!

The mother's feathers are soaking. You can see the marks she's leaving on the inside of the box.

Yes, it is getting wet and it does look brighter, and am I wrong but is mummy and daddy popping in and out encouraging them to fledge ?

• Advertisement

It just flickered and turned into night mode. I hope they settle in for the night now and we see the them fledge in decent weather tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Still there!! All 7 :)

Not surprised with the way the weather is. I think most of today will be damp.

One is looking out

Could be a tease or it is so close.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

They've been at that all morning. We've had it on here since 7am. Everytime one goes to the hole my kids are shouting at the others "push him, push him, go on...go on.... awwwwwwww". They're getting bored watching now :D

2 out!

There goes number 3. Best of luck out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

3 gone. The remaining 4 are looking very apprehensive!

4 left.

I need to go now but it seems that the remaining ones are in no hurry, that is until hunger takes over

I should have left for work by now but I'm taking 5 more minutes!

• Advertisement

Last two now.

Advertisement