Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Specialized Secteur Sport

• 07-05-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Considering Specialized Secteur Sport for audax/boards spins.

Can anyone who has one, give me a review of what they think of the bike ?
    What is the max width tyre it will take ?
    Will it take mudguards ?

Cheers in advance,
    strummer

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think the Secteur is an ugly bike. I considered one before but I just couldn't get over the looks. I'm sure it'd be very comfortable for what you require though as the geometry is the same as the far more expensive Roubaix. Have you considered a Giant Defy. It's pretty much the same type of bike as the Sec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I dunno I always thought they looked nicer than the giants which are very angular. Specialized stuff looks very well made to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

I have the Secteur Elite and I love it, great geometry and very comfortable to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

In the market for a roadbike myself and had considered the Secteur but think I'm going for a Cannondale CAAD 9 instead. Available with either Tiagra or 105. Have you looked at those?

Where did you look at the Cannondale CAAD 9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

coolbeans wrote: »
    I think the Secteur is an ugly bike. I considered one before but I just couldn't get over the looks. I'm sure it'd be very comfortable for what you require though as the geometry is the same as the far more expensive Roubaix. Have you considered a Giant Defy. It's pretty much the same type of bike as the Sec.

The Secteur does look a bit different alright, but I quite like it's looks.
    I suppose everyone has different tastes :D
    Cheers for the feedback though....

In the market for a roadbike myself and had considered the Secteur but think I'm going for a Cannondale CAAD 9 instead. Available with either Tiagra or 105. Have you looked at those?

Can you get Cannondale in Ireland ?
    Don't see any distributor/retailer for Ireland on their site !
    The CAAD9 does look real nice though no rack eyelets.

I have the Secteur Elite and I love it, great geometry and very comfortable to ride.

I heard that it's more of a cruising type geometry and not very aggressive or race-like - is that the case?

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you look at the Cannondale CAAD 9?
    Can you get Cannondale in Ireland ?
    Don't see any distributor/retailer for Ireland on their site

I haven't actually seen it in the flesh yet, but apparently Cycleways in Dublin do them. Id' say they'd have to order it in for you though.

I emailed to enquire about price but never heard back. I saw on another thread that it's €1200 for the Tiagra and €1500 for the 105.

I was in Cycleways and specifically was looking for a CAAD9 as I'd read a great review of one. But they didn't have them in store anyway. Personally I'd be looking for a commuter, fitness bike, so would want rack eyelets, and a more comfortable geometry. Thats why I was interested in a Secteur. That said other reviews I read of the Secteur was that the basic models aren't much different in terms of comfort than another other ALU road bikes. only when you get into the higher spec models with more carbon (forks,stays) on them does the geometry become more comfortable. Could be BS, I wouldn't know either way. Haven't had a road bike since I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I collected a new Secteur Elite last week and I'm very happy with it. I cycled a Trek 7.2FX hybrid for the last 3 years and I got tired of it. So after reading loads of reviews and forums I went for the secteur because of the relaxed geometry. I've only done 2 spins on it so far and it's great. The bike shop set my saddle up too low originally so my first ride wasn't the most comfortable but I raised it by an inch and it was great. I'm a big guy and it feels very comfortable to me. I'm happy with my purchase so far. The elite has 105 and the carbon front forks and zerts inserts that act as dampers. There's a free sportive pack going with it at the moment as well. It includes a wireless computer, airtool, multitool and water bottle & cage.

Are all dealers doing that offer?

BostonB wrote: »
    Are all dealers doing that offer?

Not sure, but was in Cycleways and they have that offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

I hate to hijack the thread, but just curious...

I'm looking for a bike to use instead of my specialized hybrid for leisure spins (sub 100K for now) and to compete in the odd adventure race (WAR, ROAR, Gael Force, etc.). Would the Secteur Elite be suitable for that kinda use?

I had originally considered the Secteur but was told it was a relaxed upright geometry, not much different to my hybrid with dropped handle bars. And as a result started looking at the Cannondale CAAD 9. But would that then maybe be too aggressive for what I'd want it for and make my leisure spins uncomfortable??

Am completely stumped...

The article I read on the Cannondale CAAD 9 reckoned it was once of the most comfortable frames as it it was so well made. The article picked it over much better specc'ed bikes, and even the Planet X.

Advertisement