Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port - Truck Question

Options
  • 08-05-2010 12:43am

Hey all,

Not too familiar with Dublin, so I'm assuming the Port would fall into the "Dublin City" forum. Apologies if wrong (I'm basing this on the assumption that the Port is close to the O2, and the O2 is close to the City.. so... :confused: )

Anyway, randoming around boards, I came across this post in the motors forum;

Hermy wrote: »
    Thanks for the commercial thread lads.
    Anyone like to tell me what these two are.
    Spotted them in Dublin Port today.
    Picture_006_Small_1.jpg

And I was wondering, do those (the American styled one, with the big bonnet.. Unsure if there's an actual name to differentiate them from our ones) appear in Dublin Port regularly?

Or would that truck being there be a real one-off kind of case?

If they do appear regularly, is there any way of getting at them? Getting into photography and would love to be able to get up close with some trucks like the above one (I've always liked big American trucks :o). Or would you have to get permission? (ie; can you get into the port or is there seurity, etc. to contend with?).

Apologies for my post being all over the place.

Cheers... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

If you have no joy with the above:

Try have a look for any big carnivals etc.. they usually have at least one of these trucks for carrying the carnival rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Right forum first off - Dublin city is the part of the city that comes under DCC - north of the river that's just about everything inside the C section of the M50 - southside its a bit more complex. See the central chunk of this:

Ireland_map_County_Dublin_Fingal.png

Anyway re the question asked - I work around the O2 and go past the port and through the tunnel most days I'm on - never seen a truck in the vicinity of the American style. FM104's office is behind the O2 beside the Point Luas stop and they often park their roadcaster on North Wall Quay - that has an American-style cab all right. In short, no, not a common occurance but then I'm rarely actually IN the port itself other than for petrol.

4049077501_e3e0ae0e2c.jpg

Hmm.. I'm not very familiar with the place at all, but I must go up some time and take a look for that FM104 Truck. Google Image searching for "FM104 Roadcaster" and "Roadhog" seem to bring back very few results. You'd think such a big truck would be all over the place.

I wonder if I contacted FM104, would they be able to tell me where they'll be bringing it next. I don't listen to FM104, but I assume that they don't just drive around every day for a particular show? I'd imagine it's just kept for specials here and there (there's a youtube video of them going to Ikea's opening)? :confused:

Dubmedic, The only carnival I've ever known are thos "Cassilly and Sons" or "Cassidy and sons" or whoever they are. They appear around Drogheda in the summer and at Paddy's day. They don't have an American truck that I've seen, and in my experience, they've never struck me as a group of people that are easy to get on with, unfortunately.

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

If you can keep an eye out for circus Vegas they definitly have at least 2 of these trucks, possibly even 4 or 5. They were close to me recently and had alot of large haulage trucks like the two in your aboce pic

Advertisement