Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublins 98/98fm... Which one?

• 08-05-2010 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Are they ever going to make up their minds as to what they are?? I think the whole 'Smile' rebrand and when they dropped the 'fm' really messed it up for them 2 years ago, yet now it seem's that they are going back to using 98fm.

But listening over the past week or so, I can't help but notice some jocks saying 98 whilst others are saying 98fm. Even the website is a bit of a shambles at the moment... Dublins98.ie, yet some of the shows in the schedule on the website are listed as being on Dublins 98fm!

I think it is currently a mess for 98fm, and also very confusing. I think they should go with either one or the other... As it seem's even the jocks are a bit confused as to what it is!!

It is laziness or just pure confusion in the Malt House?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yes, they're still saying "Dublin's 98" most of the time and "Dublin's 98FM" at certain times (end of the news bulletin for example). It's definitely not "pure confusion" as it is very much planned and scripted.

Whether it's laziness, I don't know.. They're phasing the old name back in ... after the phase where it was all "Dublin's 98", there'll be a phase where they use both (in a planned/structured way), then they'll go cold turkey as such and just use "Dublin's 98FM" throughout again. That's what phasing is... and I'm sure that it's both to help listeners get used to it and to help presenters get used to saying it so that once they go back, they go back for good and avoid any mess ups...

That middle phase, which they're in right now, is going on for a bit alright, and I'd have thought they'd have finished changing back by now... how long has it been? - but, again, I'm sure it's all planned out... I'm sure they have a length of time decided on and a date set internally by which the 'switch back' will be completed.

Personally, I liked the new branding ... (the current branding that is, not the flat logo and "smile" campaign...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I asked Dave off of the Morning Crew "Are you lot changing back to 98FM?" He replies "I'd say we are ;)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I still call it 98FM because Dublin's 98 is a stupid name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

What a stupid marketing move that was.

Some poncy agency charges them a fortune to say that FM is on the way out, they need to rebrand with a silly name - and then everyone still calls it 98FM

They would have been better advised to spend their cash on a few decent competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah, they really thought digital was going to take off.

Are 98 even on DAB at the moment?

The BAI aren't crazy about stations naming themselves after their frequencies these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Despite the fact this new rock station will be called "Nova 100" and will be broadcast on 100.3FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd say they're just taking a chance with their branding. The BAI tends not to write frequencies into contracts any more.

Advertisement