Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XPSM1530 External high gain antenna mod

Options
  • 08-05-2010 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

I want to add a removable external wifi antenna to my Xps M1530 laptop, the internal wireless card is an Intel pro 4965agn and has 3 U.FL connectors on the board, numbered 1,3,2,
    7630%20Front.jpg
    There are u.fl antenna wires connected to all 3, white(1), grey(3) and black(2), I "think" connector 3 would be the one I should attach this to

100312002.jpg

Then "maybe" to this 1000mW WLAN signal booster and high gain antenna.
    6002_01.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/1W-WiFi-Wireless-LAN-Signal-Booster-Amplifier-w-Antenna-/300424576614?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item45f2b33e66

It says it is for an AP/Router to extend range, will it work with my internal card and give me great coverage(microwave me) or will it damage/fry my card?

I have a 500mW RTL8187b USB, so please dont recommend a usb, I want to play with my intel card over long range.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

Why don't you hook it up directly to the RTL8187b?

A few things to consider though:
    - To do long distance BOTH sides have to be capable to reach the other station. No point just 'upgrading' one,
    - This amplifier also amplifies the noise level and won't necessarily get you a better signal/noise ratio (and that is what you are looking for). Documented on a similar (or same) amplifier on dealextreme.
    - Amplifiers with that amount of power in that frequency range are not quite legal (even the 500mW RTL8187b is not, if you believe what's printed on the box and using the supplied antenna) and considering the design and build quality more than likely would heavily impact on any surrounding wireless networks.

I would invest in a better (directional) antenna and use the RTL8187b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

hugoline wrote: »
    Why don't you hook it up directly to the RTL8187b?

A few things to consider though:
    - To do long distance BOTH sides have to be capable to reach the other station. No point just 'upgrading' one,
    - This amplifier also amplifies the noise level and won't necessarily get you a better signal/noise ratio (and that is what you are looking for). Documented on a similar (or same) amplifier on dealextreme.
    - Amplifiers with that amount of power in that frequency range are not quite legal (even the 500mW RTL8187b is not, if you believe what's printed on the box and using the supplied antenna) and considering the design and build quality more than likely would heavily impact on any surrounding wireless networks.

I would invest in a better (directional) antenna and use the RTL8187b

Thank you for your reply and links and extra info which answers whether I can attach it to my card or not.

I have had a "few" of these usb RTL8187b's, if you tighten the antenna slightly to much the main center connection breaks away from the board taking the soldering point with it, they are great for amplifying and getting stronger signals, whether at home or near free wifi spots, but they are just too flimsy, and when the solder DOES break away there is nothing left to try resolder it back to.
    sku_20158_1.jpg
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20158

Thanks again

EDIT:

Can anybody confirm what 1,3,2 connectors on my intel card are, I've read 1 and 2 are antenna on each side and the 3rd is for "N" higher frequency, but if I were to attach an external antenna which one should I pick?, I could play with all 3 and see what happens.

Advertisement