Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary suspension of skilled immigration

Options
  • 08-05-2010 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Just so people are aware. Its only short term, at least till July1, but in saying that I have never seen it happen before. Seems its for the new SOL to be introduced. I can see alot of tightening up been done going on the changes made already

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667216

edit - just saw the "Changes to GSM program Australia" thread - mods feel free to delete/merge my post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

What does this mean for someone who was looking to go working over there for the first time? Is this just the 4 year visa where you can go over if your job title is on a list or something? I presume it doesn't affect the working holiday visa?

Sorry but I don't know much about this, just started looking at it recently.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    What does this mean for someone who was looking to go working over there for the first time? Is this just the 4 year visa where you can go over if your job title is on a list or something? I presume it doesn't affect the working holiday visa?

Sorry but I don't know much about this, just started looking at it recently.

Cheers.

Only affect Permanent Migration visa's Subclass 175, 176 & 475.

Does not affect WHV or 457

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would it effect people going from a 457 to PR?

jank wrote: »
    Would it effect people going from a 457 to PR?

Not if you were going 457--> ENS (856 or 121)

Or

Student --> GSM 885 & 886 (Onshore).

The more common GSM 175 (Independent) and GSM 176 (Family/State Sponsored) are affected.

Really they are discouraging people who are in occupations that are now deemed no longer in short supply, the new SOL is expected now at the end of this month and it is expected to be 50% shorter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Not if you were going 457--> ENS (856 or 121)

Or

Student --> GSM 885 & 886 (Onshore).

The more common GSM 175 (Independent) and GSM 176 (Family/State Sponsored) are affected.

Really they are discouraging people who are in occupations that are now deemed no longer in short supply, the new SOL is expected now at the end of this month and it is expected to be 50% shorter.

Nice one, lets hope IT is still in there.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Nice one, lets hope IT is still in there.

Safe as houses

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any chance they might an some jobs to the list. Arch Tech was never on it and is caugth in a bit of a limbo between Architect (60 pts) and Arch. Associate (40 pts)
    Which is a bit unfair, based on the general description, Arch Tech should be a 60 point job. Annoying when I come in at 115 points max, 5 short of Independant GSM

Mellor wrote: »
    Any chance they might an some jobs to the list. Arch Tech was never on it and is caugth in a bit of a limbo between Architect (60 pts) and Arch. Associate (40 pts)
    Which is a bit unfair, based on the general description, Arch Tech should be a 60 point job. Annoying when I come in at 115 points max, 5 short of Independant GSM

Not sure if anything will be added, but does your 115 pts take account of the extra 10 points from doing the English test?

Yeah.
    Basically, from there description of 60/50/40 points jobs. It should be 60 (specific training) or at least 50 (B.Sc qualification).
    But because its no on the list, I'd have to drop to a 40 pt position.
    So I make it to be 40 (job + 30 (age) + 25 (english test) + 5 + 10 (work exp and oz work exp) + 5 (if there was a de facto)

Which is kinda poxy, as there is a bonus 5 points for work exp on a 60 point job.
    All I need is 5 or 10 more points and i'd be grand.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah.
    Basically, from there description of 60/50/40 points jobs. It should be 60 (specific training) or at least 50 (B.Sc qualification).
    But because its no on the list, I'd have to drop to a 40 pt position.
    So I make it to be 40 (job + 30 (age) + 25 (english test) + 5 + 10 (work exp and oz work exp) + 5 (if there was a de facto)

Which is kinda poxy, as there is a bonus 5 points for work exp on a 60 point job.
    All I need is 5 or 10 more points and i'd be grand.

State sponsorship would get you 10 otherwise 2 years on a 457 and You are good for ENS... You wouldn't need a skills assessment.

Maybe your luck will be in and they redefine Draughtsman as 50 points

PS. I think you might be intrested in this link that I just remembered I posted in another thread.

http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/PDFs_RTFs/WWF_strategy.pdf

Check page 83 (88) and occupation 3122 Civil engineering draftspersons and technicians

This list are likely to be the occupations on the new SOL although that is not yet confirmed.

Please find pages 83 & 84 attached for easy reading

• Advertisement

I got on to CIAT, and they've contacted Skills Australia regarding Architectural Technicians. And hopefully they make some progress.
    It should be Architect and Technologist 60, Technician 50, Associate/Draftsman 40
    That's essentially what they've requested. Fingers crossed.

Might be too late though

Advertisement