Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratched window

• 08-05-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Got home yesterday to find someone had scratched the main front window. Bottom right.
    Looks like a kid scribbled with a small sharp stone or something similar. Scratch not deep, but its a scribble.
    Anyone any tips?
    Or do I need to replace the whole pane of glass. Its pretty big, maybe 8*6 feet. How much would that cost?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Got home yesterday to find someone had scratched the main front window. Bottom right.
    Looks like a kid scribbled with a small sharp stone or something similar. Scratch not deep, but its a scribble.
    Anyone any tips?
    Or do I need to replace the whole pane of glass. Its pretty big, maybe 8*6 feet. How much would that cost?
    Thanks

I've seen ads where car windscreen co's can make almost invisible repairs to stone chipped windscreens so you might have some luck there.

No idea of replacement cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is an old trick of rubbing brasso into a scratch. never thried it but heard a lot of people talking about it before.

the brasso that has the fibres in it already not the liquid stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

im a glazier 15 years and have tried many of these scratch removal kits and none have worked only recently had to replace 4 doors in the abbey theatre because of the same problem pm me and i will happily give you a free quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

you could try a model buffering/polishing kit

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

massy086 wrote: »
    im a glazier 15 years and have tried many of these scratch removal kits and none have worked only recently had to replace 4 doors in the abbey theatre because of the same problem pm me and i will happily give you a free quote

So you reckon a replacement is the only way to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

garlad wrote: »
    So you reckon a replacement is the only way to go?

Well of course he does, you look like a client. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

pair of sunglasses... You will never notice.... Joking aside is it that bad...

Can you switch the glass around that the scratch is above the blind and you will never notice.... A lot cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

well its up to you if you can live with the scratch or not but ye i would think replacement is your only option

Advertisement