Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet .. way around the high points??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 WanaBeVet

Im amazed by the amount of help im getting here haha :D Thanks....

Eeehh does that mean i will have to do a four year course on science and then go on to a six year course on vetinary or do i skip the first year or two of vet med ????

10 years in collage is along time :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie82

yeah you have to do 4 year honours degree and the graduate entry vet route is another 4 years.
    it is a long time and gonna be expensive so if i could go back to school and start again i'd repeat, so thats my advice to you if you dont get it first time around:)

OoooooooooooooH :mad: .....

i cant get 570 points .... it looks like 10yrs just home its worth it !!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

WanaBeVet wrote: »
    OoooooooooooooH :mad: .....

i cant get 570 points .... it looks like 10yrs just home its worth it !!!!:D

OP my partner is after finishing 1st year on Wednesday, and he is 26 and we have a toddler, he will be 30 when he finishes and he thinks it is worth the long haul, good luck and do your best :)

Can i ask where did your partner go after school ?????:)

• Advertisement

Can i ask where did your partner go after school ?????:)

He wanted to be a vet since he was young, and didnt put in the effort in school and got 440 or so points. He went and did a degree in Arts and worked as an Archaeologist for a while. He then decided to go back and re sit his leaving cert and got in off that :) He didnt want to go graduate route. He wanted to see if he could make it on points.

Looks like i will av to start studying so :(....

Thanks anyway for all the help !!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    OP my partner is after finishing 1st year on Wednesday, and he is 26 and we have a toddler, he will be 30 when he finishes and he thinks it is worth the long haul, good luck and do your best :)

Wont be worth it in ireland.Too much competition

briankirby wrote: »
    Wont be worth it in ireland.Too much competition

There are only 12-15 lads in his year, all the rest are girls, who all want to do small animal or equine vet, being a male that wants to do all sectors of veterinary he knows that makes him more likely to succeed quicker, and all else failing, the UCD degree is recognise almost worldwide :)

I am gateful for all the help but I was lookin for a way around the high points :cool:

Ha

• Advertisement

I am gateful for all the help but I was lookin for a way around the high points :cool:

Ha

You are like every other person who wants a particular course, you are looking at every option! Ignore the people who make comments like that. They are prob just qualified/qualifying in something other than what the really wanted and are jealous you are looking at every option! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RUARIDHT10

Hi Wanabevet I'm also in your situation it's quite frustrating, it's either be a brain box or no dice. I'm in sixth year now and with the leaving just 3 weeks away I see no chance at me getting 570 points, the best i can aim for is 480. I've decided to do one of three things:
    1. Repeat and try get the points
    2. Go to Budapest and study there
    3. Accept vet nursing on my cao

If you're in sixth year too the best I can say is just aim for the highest points you can get, that's what I plan to do, But if you're just about to go into sixth year I say work your ass off all year :)
    I hope in some ways my similar experience has helped you in some way, you're not alone:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'd encourage you to repeat and try and drop the subjects you're not good at (French for example) and replace with something better (e.g Ag Science if that is allowed in combination with your other subjects).

Not in sixth year yet but my problem is that my science class from 1st year has been rubbish so i will have to spend alot of time studying chemistry before anything else ....

I will try get the points but not to confident ..

Budapest looks hopeful Ha

AnyWay good luck in your leaving ,,, hope it works out for you ... hit me back on wat happens ha

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Guys, where are you getting the 570 points thing? It was 555 last year and 545/550 the year before. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Guys, where are you getting the 570 points thing? It was 555 last year and 545/550 the year before. :confused:

its rumoured to shoot up this year,plus youd need 570 to feel "safe" about getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

you CAN do a science course and then go for vetmed afterwards as a post grad[you will have to do an interview,get great marks in your first degree and then it's only a maybe]

From the few vet students I know,getting the 570-ish points is the start of it,if you can't manage that,you won't be fit to do the course.[Not trying to be an ass here,I wanted to vet and after some hard thinking about it switched to Agriculture]

Going the science route is a good idea IMO as it's a more general degree and you will end up with more options in the end.

I disagree with the idea that people who score less than 570 points are not capable of doing veterinary. I highly doubt that a person who got ~400 points in the leaving cert would be at a disadvantage. Certainly wasn't the case in my course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

OP, I'm in 6th year and have always wanted to be a vet. I'm not going to get 555 points or whatever, so I'm going to do a general science degree and apply through GAMSAT. It initially pissed me off, but now that I think about it, it'll be an interesting way to get in.
    I don't care about fees right now, and I don't care what age I'll be when I finish my Vet degree. Be determined, and you'll succeed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

lalee17 wrote: »
    OP, I'm in 6th year and have always wanted to be a vet. I'm not going to get 555 points or whatever, so I'm going to do a general science degree and apply through GAMSAT. It initially pissed me off, but now that I think about it, it'll be an interesting way to get in.
    I don't care about fees right now, and I don't care what age I'll be when I finish my Vet degree. Be determined, and you'll succeed. :D

Yeah,its a great career all things considered.I didnt realise it until i got to spend time in animal shelters and working with a few vets this year.Cant wait to start in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ajk86

I cant believe someone who presumably has got a 3rd level education herself would make such a comment. The number of points needed to achieve a course is a reflection of the demand and availability of the course. I am not saying that vet is not going to be an extremely tough course but Irish applicants are limited in UCD as there are not half enough places available for people who apply. Saying you will not be able for it if you dont achieve those high points is ridiculous - do you need to speak french/german/spanish while studying vet? Will you need to qoute kavanagh, heaney or platt poems? There are many subjects in the leaving cert which do not contribute any insight into a science based university course. Do not let the high points put you off.
    I have a degree in Animal Science. My first choice on my CAO was veterinary but i didnt get the points. that didnt mean i wanted to be a vet any less than someone who got in the high 500s. UCD is extremely competitive to get a place and the UK is getting increasingly so. Im starting in Budapest in September - cant wait to begin what iv always wanted to do!! I was exempt from the entrance exam because of my previous degree. If you dont get it this year dont panic - Iv been travelling for a year and everything!!
    If veterinary is what you really want to do you will find a way that suits you. Dont let people put you off if your determined! there is too much stress and competition related to exams - just chill out and enjoy yourself :D You can only do your best, GOOD LUCK !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Completely agree with above poster.

Im going into 3rd year of veterinary yet I didnt do super in my leaving cert. I really exelled at science subjects and took one on myself outside of school, with no teacher...just a book and sat the exam. Did really well in it too!
    I always struggled with subjects like irish and english. Reciting lines from poems and talking about themes of 'An Gealt' always proved my weak areas.
    I didnt get into UCD because of this but I didnt let this hold me back. If veterinary is something you really want to do and you will not settle for any other career then location shouldnt make a difference. Budapest is of course as well recognised as UCD within europe thanks to the E.U We do not have to sit 'extra' exams to work in ireland as somebody incorrectly pointed out earlier.
    If its something you really want to do, you will find a way that suits you best (moving away isnt for everybody) - but best of luck whichever path you choose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RUARIDHT10

ajk86 wrote: »
    I cant believe someone who presumably has got a 3rd level education herself would make such a comment. The number of points needed to achieve a course is a reflection of the demand and availability of the course. I am not saying that vet is not going to be an extremely tough course but Irish applicants are limited in UCD as there are not half enough places available for people who apply. Saying you will not be able for it if you dont achieve those high points is ridiculous - do you need to speak french/german/spanish while studying vet? Will you need to qoute kavanagh, heaney or platt poems? There are many subjects in the leaving cert which do not contribute any insight into a science based university course. Do not let the high points put you off.
    I have a degree in Animal Science. My first choice on my CAO was veterinary but i didnt get the points. that didnt mean i wanted to be a vet any less than someone who got in the high 500s. UCD is extremely competitive to get a place and the UK is getting increasingly so. Im starting in Budapest in September - cant wait to begin what iv always wanted to do!! I was exempt from the entrance exam because of my previous degree. If you dont get it this year dont panic - Iv been travelling for a year and everything!!
    If veterinary is what you really want to do you will find a way that suits you. Dont let people put you off if your determined! there is too much stress and competition related to exams - just chill out and enjoy yourself :D You can only do your best, GOOD LUCK !

Hey! Thanks for that wonderful, uplifting post! I'm planning on doing something similar to you, I have Vet Nursing down on my Cao and Animal Science next followed by a science degree. I'm just wondering to the college in Budapest just look and your previous degree and immediately accept you or do you have to take any form of entrance exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

OP, I originally didn't get the points for my course and got into it by taking all the modules in it. I got the highest grades in my class in the last two years of the degree, won two awards for it. Trust me when I say, the leaving cert is a big pile of 1970s discredited horse shite. It's a retarded monkey spunk memory test. If you want to do veterinary medicine you'll do it, if you have to do another degree beforehand, then that's grand you'll be even more qualified.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ajk86

Ruairi... you have to get in contact with the irish representative for Budapest. you can find it on the Uni website - his name is Tim O Leary. Basically, u fill out an application form and send your degree results(or any qualification), leaving cert results and the application fee. He sends this to the uni and they decide if you are to take the entrance exam. I know of a girl who just did first year animal science and she was also exempt from the exam. Animal Science was a great course... I had the best fun ever in the Ag faculty!! good luck with the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

Im just after sitting the Leaving Cert this year and finishing school and i too wish for nothing else except veterinary .. i have done a huge amount of work experience with at least 6 different practises, i have seen the worst of surgeries, witnessed pets die, you name it i have seen it .. so i know 100% that vet is all i want to do, nothing else .. i am not the sort of person who can make decisions easily but i know this is the right decision which makes it all the more clear that its all i want .. as for the person who said ''if you dont get the points you wont be able for the course'' this is offensive and ignorant .. i sat 7 subjects this year 3 of which were languages .. my weakest subjects .. i have to admit that i was naive when i entered 5th year by firstly not doing an extra subject and secondly not doing honours maths .. i didnt realise until it was too late that maths and science were where i shine and languages are my downfall .. so i was stuck with 3 subjects i could potentially do well in , 1 pass subject i loved and 3 languages that i continued to struggle in .. from september to june i got grinds in both eng. irish and french but i still am not good enough to get A1's in any of these subjects! so are you saying i will have to study english, irish or french in vet med , and therefore i wont be able to survive in that course?? Last i heard the whole industry is based around animal experience and the science of medicine?? I have never gotten less than an A2 in any class exam in 2 years of studying biology.. Chemistry is slightly more difficult but i am still well capable of getting a B1 or above and i also sat home ec which is kind of science related .. are u saying these grades will hinder my achievement in vet med??? and that my B3 in french will also??? i wont get 555 or above but i guarantee you that my love for animals and so called ''lack of intelligence'' will give me a greater passion and pleasure out of the job than your 600 points ever will ... im sorry for being so blunt but i hate too see ignorance from an intelligent person ... just because someone didnt get 600 or even into the 500's didnt mean they are any less suitable for a job or that they didnt work as hard as someone who got more points ...

sorry for my long rant but I want Veterinary so bad and it disgusts me that people can say that because i wont get 555 points that im not suitable to be a vet .. i have been told by so many vets that i have an eye for the trade and that it would be put to waste if i didnt become a vet .. i will repeat 60 times if i have to .. im already planning what to study come september to maximise the amount of points i can get 2nd time round...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not sure I get what's going on here. There's no point getting annoyed at anyone on the forum. We didn't invent the points system, we don't run the points system, and we don't know what the points cutoffs will be this year.

We live in a country that has "free fees" for undergraduate study. On the plus side, that means that no-one is excluded due to insufficient means. On the negative side, that means ... that no-one is excluded due to insufficient means. Veterinary Medicine, like Medicine, is an expensive programme to run, with few places available - so why does the high points cutoff surprise anyone? It's the only objective tool they have to decide who to admit: anything more subjective could be "gamed" and would cost too much to run.

Since you live in the EU, you're entitled to "home" rates for study in the EU, so why not look there? For example, the Royal Veterinary College (University of London) charges £3,290 tuition per year, has some bursaries for about half that, and they'll consider you if you get AAAABB on the Higher Cert. (see here).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

HOBO123 wrote: »
    Im just after sitting the Leaving Cert this year and finishing school and i too wish for nothing else except veterinary .. i have done a huge amount of work experience with at least 6 different practises, i have seen the worst of surgeries, witnessed pets die, you name it i have seen it .. so i know 100% that vet is all i want to do, nothing else .. i am not the sort of person who can make decisions easily but i know this is the right decision which makes it all the more clear that its all i want .. as for the person who said ''if you dont get the points you wont be able for the course'' this is offensive and ignorant .. i sat 7 subjects this year 3 of which were languages .. my weakest subjects .. i have to admit that i was naive when i entered 5th year by firstly not doing an extra subject and secondly not doing honours maths .. i didnt realise until it was too late that maths and science were where i shine and languages are my downfall .. so i was stuck with 3 subjects i could potentially do well in , 1 pass subject i loved and 3 languages that i continued to struggle in .. from september to june i got grinds in both eng. irish and french but i still am not good enough to get A1's in any of these subjects! so are you saying i will have to study english, irish or french in vet med , and therefore i wont be able to survive in that course?? Last i heard the whole industry is based around animal experience and the science of medicine?? I have never gotten less than an A2 in any class exam in 2 years of studying biology.. Chemistry is slightly more difficult but i am still well capable of getting a B1 or above and i also sat home ec which is kind of science related .. are u saying these grades will hinder my achievement in vet med??? and that my B3 in french will also??? i wont get 555 or above but i guarantee you that my love for animals and so called ''lack of intelligence'' will give me a greater passion and pleasure out of the job than your 600 points ever will ... im sorry for being so blunt but i hate too see ignorance from an intelligent person ... just because someone didnt get 600 or even into the 500's didnt mean they are any less suitable for a job or that they didnt work as hard as someone who got more points ...

sorry for my long rant but I want Veterinary so bad and it disgusts me that people can say that because i wont get 555 points that im not suitable to be a vet .. i have been told by so many vets that i have an eye for the trade and that it would be put to waste if i didnt become a vet .. i will repeat 60 times if i have to .. im already planning what to study come september to maximise the amount of points i can get 2nd time round...

To be fair,rote learning is very important in veterinary,dress it up however u like.Languages do contain aspects of rote learning, e.g. irregular verbs,the oral,new words for comprehensions etc.
    I dont see why u are so offended.A friend of mine whos a vet said that ony around 12 % of her class got in first time.The rest repeated so its nothin to get wound up about :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

bnt wrote: »
    Not sure I get what's going on here. There's no point getting annoyed at anyone on the forum. We didn't invent the points system, we don't run the points system, and we don't know what the points cutoffs will be this year.

We live in a country that has "free fees" for undergraduate study. On the plus side, that means that no-one is excluded due to insufficient means. On the negative side, that means ... that no-one is excluded due to insufficient means. Veterinary Medicine, like Medicine, is an expensive programme to run, with few places available - so why does the high points cutoff surprise anyone? It's the only objective tool they have to decide who to admit: anything more subjective could be "gamed" and would cost too much to run.

Since you live in the EU, you're entitled to "home" rates for study in the EU, so why not look there? For example, the Royal Veterinary College (University of London) charges £3,290 tuition per year, has some bursaries for about half that, and they'll consider you if you get AAAABB on the Higher Cert. (see here).

good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

i am not saying at all that the points system is in anyway unfair .. it is understandable that in order to achieve a high standard of veterinary surgeons in this country that a cetain standard be set with regards points etc.. what is not fair though is to generalise and say that because you dont get the points that you are not suitable to the veterinary practise .. this is what i disagree with .. granted if you are below 450 points in your leaving you may find it difficult to cope in such a demanding degree , and i do agree that repeating is a good option as most vets i have spoke to have said they had to repeat to get the course with one even repeating twice..

as for the languages .. what i meant is that although i wont get an A1 thats not to say i wont do well but it will definitely be difficult to get the required points .. and this year in the leaving they tried their best to prevent rote learning..
    sorry if i was a bit o.t.t earlier :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hi .. I want to be a vet but dont think i can get the high points :o...

I heard that you can do some scince course for2 years first and then continue on to vetinary medicine ?????????

was just wonderin is tat true and wats involved ???????????:confused:

Thanks v.much people :D

Obtain nationality of another country and re-enter Ireland as a foreigner which automatically means you don't need any CAO points (but no free- fees). :D

No sorry, OP: yes post-grad option = the long and thorny route but the one most likely to guarantee success

Advertisement