Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet .. way around the high points??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DS333

WanaBeVet wrote: »
    Hi .. I want to be a vet but dont think i can get the high points :o...

I heard that you can do some scince course for2 years first and then continue on to vetinary medicine ?????????

was just wonderin is tat true and wats involved ???????????:confused:

Thanks v.much people :D

As far as I know the points are essential, even for a graduate - to prevent back-door entries. Getting in is the biggest hurdle. The days are long but you don't have to be a genius. The problem with high points is due to the fact that there is only one vet faculty in the country and about 50 places going. You could see what the requirements are in Scotland or the UK. Lots, lots, lots more places.:)

BUT

Don't romanticize the career. Long hours. Weekends. Night duty. Nor is the pay that wonderful if you're not a partner. An appreciable number of vets wish they were something else.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie82

DS333 wrote: »
    As far as I know the points are essential, even for a graduate - to prevent back-door entries.

hey you dont need points for grad entry. you need to meet matric requirements for ucd and have had enough points to do a degree previously. if you do a science degree you can do 4 year vet course but if you dont have a biology degree you do the 5 year one. its a cumulative score based on a cv and gamsat score.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bucks18777

i know that the points for vet med here are 560. i got 545 and now im repeating to get the points i need . what my question is , what are the qualifications needed to do vet med in the uk . there is 5 colleges over there that do vet med as far as i know . could anyone compare the qualifications needed please .
    bucks :)

Advertisement