Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxback.com

Options
  • 08-05-2010 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi everyone,
    I recently used this company to claim tax back from the last working year. However, the cheque from revenue came directly to me. This company also claimed back tax from the previous year, the money went directly to them, they got their fee out of it and the rest was sent to me. However, 5 months later I recieved an email from them saying their "processing fee" of almost a hundred euro from this payment I recieved from Revenue. I'm a bit flabbergasted to be honest, there was no mention of a "processing fee" back then when I recieved my cheque from Revenue. They got their fee for the tax they recieved back from the previous year, any fees etc regarding the cheque I recieved should have been agreed there and then. However to come along 5 months later demanding a fee is a bit much. I am currently recieving unemployment benefit and simply cannot afford to be handing over that much money for a "processing fee" when there was no mention of it 5 months ago.

What do you think i should do, has anybody else encountered an issue with this company? your help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Before you used taxback.com did you read their T&C's?, companys like this generally clearly outline that they will be charging you a fee for their work...to be honest its only fair, your free to do it yourself for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

remimoses wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    I recently used this company to claim tax back from the last working year. However, the cheque from revenue came directly to me. This company also claimed back tax from the previous year, the money went directly to them, they got their fee out of it and the rest was sent to me. However, 5 months later I recieved an email from them saying their "processing fee" of almost a hundred euro from this payment I recieved from Revenue. I'm a bit flabbergasted to be honest, there was no mention of a "processing fee" back then when I recieved my cheque from Revenue. They got their fee for the tax they recieved back from the previous year, any fees etc regarding the cheque I recieved should have been agreed there and then. However to come along 5 months later demanding a fee is a bit much. I am currently recieving unemployment benefit and simply cannot afford to be handing over that much money for a "processing fee" when there was no mention of it 5 months ago.

What do you think i should do, has anybody else encountered an issue with this company? your help would be much appreciated.

It states on their site, that the fees will be charged once. So, contact them and explain that this fee has been paid as per their T & C's. It might be an idea to have some record to indicate that indeed the fees were deducted.

As for the complaints procedure - perhaps contact the Office of the Revenue Commissioners and see if a representative there can outline a process to follow. I am not sure if they have a remit on external tax companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your post is just a little unclear to me...

They processed a claim for 2008 and they received the refund cheque. They took their fee and forwarded the balance to you.

You used them again for 2009 but this time the cheque came to you. Then they contacted you seeking their fee.

Is that a correct summary?

If I have understood correctly, then yes, you do owe them their fee. There was a breakdown in the process (where the cheque came to you instead of them) but they did submit the claim for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 demons

Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up an old thread buy I'm considering using taxback.com and wonder has anyone else had any experience of using themand how did they find them ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

demons wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up an old thread buy I'm considering using taxback.com and wonder has anyone else had any experience of using themand how did they find them ?

thanks

the thread is only a couple of days old - i've seen threads reopened that wewre 3 years old & more :)

My accountant / auditor recently set up irishtaxrebates.ie - he charges nothing for checking if you're due a refund & 5% if you are.

Naturally I'd reccommend him - but its a no brainer for anyone who's on the paye system and wants to claim allowances that they may not realise are available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi guys,

thanks

The likes of taxback.com and others are generally fine, just keep in mind they generally take a percentage once they claim back money, if your not prepared to do the leg work yourself then use one of these companys

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

91011 wrote: »
    the thread is only a couple of days old - i've seen threads reopened that wewre 3 years old & more :)

My accountant / auditor recently set up irishtaxrebates.ie - he charges nothing for checking if you're due a refund & 5% if you are.

Naturally I'd reccommend him - but its a no brainer for anyone who's on the paye system and wants to claim allowances that they may not realise are available.

You should look for 5% from your employer for advertising for him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

You should look for 5% from your employer for advertising for him. :D

He just negotiated a substantial rent reduction from one of my landlords :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hi guys,

thanks

I have had dealings with Taxback.com in the past and in my experience they are a decent company.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I don't understand why you would want to use this type of business, you can call the revenue, give your PRSI number and ask for a balancing statement. or register on line and do it there. There is little if no leg work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

people are just lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Quick Question on the same subject...

Is there a limit to the number of years you can go back to claim your tax back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Stand to be corrected on this but I think it's four years max.

BnB wrote: »
    Quick Question on the same subject...

Is there a limit to the number of years you can go back to claim your tax back ?

as already mentioned I believe its four years

Advertisement