Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you keep your morale up whilst job seeking

Options
  • 08-05-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'd be interested to hear how those who are looking for work keep their morale up? Do you struggle much with the POFs, ignored job applications, the 'I almost got the job but was pipped at the last post'? The vast amounts of energy and effort that goes into each application for little or no return.

As for me I would say about 75% of the time I am positive and upbeat, despite looking for work since May 2009. I am inurred to the ignored job applications, most of the POFs I think okay, they were worth going for but sometimes I get overwhelmed by the sheer effort into a job application and little or no gain and worry if I will ever be employed. As for interviews I know I do my best but it may be that someone else has more experience (I have been lucky to get good feedback that I believe to be genuine) - I did screw up in one interview but have chalked it up to experience. It also helps that I do creative writing and have written a novel so that keeps the boredom out of the way, and maybe I might get published instead (ultimate dream :D), oh and Boards has kept me going too :p

So how do you keep going? What works for you or are you struggling?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I returned to Ireland in mid-February 2009, after returning from a working holiday abroad. Started looking for work at the end of March '09 and still looking to the very day.
    It's looking like I may have to leave the country to find any sort of work, have been granted a residence visa for New Zealand, so will have to leave soon but it is very hard to stay positive when looking for work and their simply is none around. The thing that really bothers me is how to explain it to people who have ni idea about Ireland's economic situation, they'll just look at my CV and think, woah no work for two years....

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hey sorry to here you have to leave Ireland to get work. It's not an option for me as I have a child. Did you do any training / courses whilst looking for work. I did an online course through the FAS e-college, is it too late for you to do that whilst you plan to emigrate, it shows you did something. Also I believe if you explain the situation here they might understand. Finally, is there any hobbies / interests that you did eg: I noticed you have a blog, you could use those as examples of keeping busy and gaining various skills (eg: team work, communication, learning new technologies etc).

Hope the move works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I did 4 Microsoft exams on my own time and money, just to keep myself busy really inbetween applying for jobs so I have that line to use - "I upskilled myself". Still if I could get a permanent job here I wouldn't even think of leaving the country really, I turn 28 in a week's time and would rather start living my life here in Ireland, get a house with my long term girlfriend, and get married , you know? Just have a regular life....Just without work , none of that is possible.
    So do I move to NZ and start making the life I wanted in Ireland over there? I we do decide to leave then after a year or two, we're back to square one here when we come home, that is unless thiings have picked up... then again we could look at going back to college now while we both have the opportunity and see how that works out.

I find it amazing how many people , who are unemplyed throughout the country at the moment have wildly differing stories and situations, I think it would make a great book if we could get everyone's tales together!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ok heres a good one....couple of months ago I applied for a job that I could have done with my eyes closed. Had to fill in an online application form for it. Printed that off and worked on the answers over a few days...got the girlfriend to check for spellings/ grammar etc before sending it off.

I got a reply off their HR crowd within a few hours of sending it - "Dear Catriona, thank you for your application..."

I'm a 6' 1" guy, my name aint Catriona :rolleyes:

Shows how much attention they obviously put into their job and I didn't get an interview either!

Its a draining process OP but a necessary one unfortunately. Chin up and all that and keeping pluggin' away. Something will come up. Well thats what people tell me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Can I ask what you guys have qualifications in? I'm job hunting myself....I see a lot of jobs out there spread across all different industries, and I wonder who's filling them all?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far.
    I did 4 Microsoft exams on my own time and money, just to keep myself busy really inbetween applying for jobs so I have that line to use - "I upskilled myself".
    That is really relevant (and useful) and shows you were doing something. Have you exhausted all opportunities here in Ireland and can you almost guarantee getting a job in New Zealand? What I do in relation to my job search is check e-mails in the morning from job sites I have registered with (irishjobs.ie, recruitireland.com, jobs.ie, publicjobs.ie, gradireland.ie) then check Fas.ie on daily basis, creativecareers.ie every second day and activelink.ie on Thursdays - they update it that day. I also check out LinkedIn, sometimes there are jobs advertised within specific groups, I would urge you to join it and check out some groups, if you need more info just ask and I'll explain more). Try to spread the net far and wide. I am looking for jobs in three counties, and yes it is a bad state of affairs but I feel I am doing my best. Can you do any voluntary work? Even just to get work experience / a reference whilst looking. Are there any people you know who might know someone in the know, even former college professors / lecturers (don't be afraid to ask, some of them are really helpful). It would be a shame if you had to go when you want to stay.
    I'm a 6' 1" guy, my name aint Catriona

Shows how much attention they obviously put into their job and I didn't get an interview either!
    Hey Caitriona :p thanks for the great story, although that kind of stuff sucks. I haven't had that but I have put a lot of effort into applications, been extra careful with grammar/spelling/etc but often don't see the same standard back.
    Can I ask what you guys have qualifications in? I'm job hunting myself....I see a lot of jobs out there spread across all different industries, and I wonder who's filling them all?????
    Hi Dan_D, as for my qualifications, I have an arts degree (1st) an M.A (1st) and ten years in office admin experience. I am looking for executive admin roles/ development or arts admin, that kind of thing. The thing that hinders me is that I haven't worked since 2006 as I was in full time education and that seems to be a problem for a lot of employers. I've gone for a couple of hundred jobs, had about six interviews, in actual fact I had a 2nd interview today with one company so I am now waiting, biting my nails to see if I got it - I haven't a clue how it will go but I know I did my best. I have had a couple of 'almost interviews' where they almost happened but were withdrawn due to lack of funding, etc. I almost got a month's work through a temp contract, again didn't happen. I know of one friend who was offered the job but then it was withdrawn because they had not the proper funding. So until you have the contract and are at the desk nothing is 100% safe.

As for a book on job seeking, I am tempted, I think the way job hunting goes has radically changed, in the past it was the paper, the yellow pages (for cold call jobs), network of friends and the job centre/ fas office. Now everything is via the internet or social networking sites such as LinkedIn, (well worth joining especially for researching companies and who will interview you, I have done that and it makes me feel better that I have some idea of the person). Although I have experienced a recession before and similar stories occurred then as now (eg: no responses to job applications, etc).

Advertisement