Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

application how long will it take

Options
  • 08-05-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

i have been told 6weeks by some 9 monthsby othersmy younger brother is applying for a shotgun licence and for this being his first time application we wer wondering how long it would take

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ferrete wrote: »
    i have been told 6weeks by some 9 monthsby othersmy younger brother is applying for a shotgun licence and for this being his first time application we wer wondering how long it would take
    lngwill?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

how long will it take to get his licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    lngwill?? :confused:

Ah the gud old txt spk. N e crk?

I think the OP is asking how long will it take to get his FA processed :D

how long will it take to get his licence

Somewhere between 3-4 weeks.
    Pay for it in post office and you will have it sooner. Post of cheque it will take longer.
    The person in the post office scans the form he should receive in the post on successful processing of his application, providing there was no issues with his application.;)

3-4weeks we wer told not to even worry about it for 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

the maximum waiting time is 3 months i think but it can take longer! i think if you dont hear anything from in within 3 months its deemed as a refusal but i could be wrong?

i had a mate wait the best part of a year and the garda told him its to do with the backlog anyone got any tips on getting it through faster

i had a mate wait the best part of a year and the garda told him its to do with the backlog anyone got any tips on getting it through faster

Sand paper effect, tell your brother to wear them down. Go in every day until they say yea or neigh.
    He is entitled to have his application processed. he is not entitled to receive what ever he wants. Therefore tell him to ask what he is entitled for, a decision.:cool:

i think annoying them to soon might not work well on his behalf for they could refuse him quicker then

i think annoying them to soon might not work well on his behalf for they could refuse him quicker then

I did not say annoy, politely ask every day is there any word.
    If it has been a few months then he is entitled to something, even if it is more delay. Once he is told.

All he is asking about is his application. I went in every week for about 5 months, then I gave up. One day my father was in and I asked him to enquire on my behalf. They told him that they were awaiting payment.

That was year, the boys in blue are under pressure at the moment with budget cuts and a recruitment ban etc. So if he shows his interest he might get it done sooner.

Is there any reason why he may be refused? If he was in trouble before that might be a reason. What age is he and what did he apply for?

• Advertisement

he was never in trouble he is 20 and he applied for a o/u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Thread title tweaked, carry on.
    [/MOD]

he was never in trouble he is 20 and he applied for a o/u

Well if he fulfilled all of the criteria there should be no issue, That is why I would recommend for a young person put referees that are pillars of the community and or experienced acknowledged shooters.

But that is only my opinion.
    Go in today and ask again!

Asking costs nothing only politeness!;)

If they think you are not that bothered they will no be that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

how long is a piece of string, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

the maximum waiting time is 3 months i think but it can take longer! i think if you dont hear anything from in within 3 months its deemed as a refusal but i could be wrong?

as it's his first licence there is no time limit, the limit is for those who are already in possession of a firearm.
    well that is what i was told by the inspector dealing with my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

as it's his first licence there is no time limit, the limit is for those who are already in possession of a firearm.
    well that is what i was told by the inspector dealing with my licence.

Jeez, where do you guys get this stuff?
    What your inspector told you is nonsense IMHO.
    Fair enough if you want to believe the BS you're being fed, but if you can't answer the OP with the facts, don't be leading the lad astray with this kind of misinformation.

Might I humbly suggest that some posters on here actually read some of the firearms legislation, before giving out BS which they were fed by some (at best) misinformed paperpusher and (at worst) a member of the GS systematically feeding you and others misinformation.

Part of the problem we're all having with some Guards apparently making up the rules as they go along is that: lads who :

1. couldn't be arsed doing their own research,
    2. couldn't be arsed reading up of the actual regulations
    3. couldn't be arsed even reading Fachtna's Guidelines
    4. couldn't be arsed even reading the f***in' form properly,

are going into their local F/O ill-prepared and un-ready to explain the what, why, and wherefore to a guard (who to be honest, probably hasn't been given any training or information in this area either) and then the selfsame lads come running onto boards to ask the relevant and pertinent questions "after the fact" - Kinda like bolting the stable door, after the horse has well and truly kicked you in the head and is now 5 miles down the road.

Do some research - Prepare yourself to not only answer questions and profer explanations, but also to try to educate your F/O.

If you don't put your best foot forward, why be surprised when the PTB's ride roughshod over your "rights"?
    If you can't be bothered to read up and inform yourself on the regulations, guidelines, and legislation governing your own sport, why should you be surprised if you have the wool pulled over your eyes?

Anything worth having, is worth working for.

(END of RANT)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You tell 'em dCorbus ............... :p:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1 on dCorbus' rant :D

The mods have gone to a lot of trouble to make it easy to find information on this board, even going to the extent of having a special notice in bold red print at the top of the first page :rolleyes:

Along with losing the ability to spell, people seem to have lost the ability to read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i applied for my first licence and had my rifle in my hands 1 month to the day i sent in my paper work

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Steyr243Hunter

+ 1 more dCorbus rant.
    I had every answer ready for the FO when he was reading through the forms,
    as he seen the the box ticked for mod,' ah you have to have a letter to super with reasons for having a mod', ' turn to the back there and theres one' (thanks to clivej i think) every possible reason was there. Had the permission for the mod ten days later, and licence in my hands by end on month. I was very impressed with the speed it was done. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    I was keen about getting it fast in time for hunting season and spoke about deer giving the farmer a very hard time,due to forestry being plated in the last few years, i also went down with a friend that was friendly enough with the FO that had land with the deer on it, (i am not living in the area long).
    If you show while talking that you are keen and have your research done it can help, i wouldn't quite go down everyday but after say 8 weeks every week could convince to make a phonecall to it put through asap. With backlogs in big areas delays are common, i wouldnt ever give out to FO as i dont think it will achieve anthing if giving out blame the system. honey then vineger. Best of luck with your licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement