Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should "bold thankers" be punished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

Couldn't you just use the remove your thanks button?

I only have a thumbs up looking button?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Leave it as is.
    Its a little bit of joy some people get.

Can't punish people for thanking a 'bold' post. Would prefer thanks be removed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It's only visible after you thank a post.

You will see Remove your thanks under the report button on the left side of your screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

It's only visible after you thank a post.

You will see Remove your thanks under the report button on the left side of your screen.

Not seeing one :confused: Can you show me one on a screen shot? I just see "Post reply"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Not seeing one :confused: Can you show me one on a screen shot? I just see "Post reply"

thanksb.jpg

^^^^^^
    So thank any post in this thread and you will see the above. *Remove Your Thanks.*

I thanked it to give you an example as you had already thanked it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

This thread isn't serious, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You can remove your thanks at any time. Its on the left of the post .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58632565#post58632565

To avoid that ^ happening again you either ignore the thanks or start poking Ross and Conor with a stick to make it so infracted posts are unthankable or the thanks are invisible or summat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

CHD wrote: »
    This thread isn't serious, right?

Its the internet.

Its always serious business.

To avoid that ^ happening again you either ignore the thanks or start poking Ross and Conor with a stick to make it so infracted posts are unthankable or the thanks are invisible or summat.
    might bookmark post above. Good to have a bit of perspective in there. Here have all the posters gone. Dont recognise have the names from that post above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ah, i dont see the big deal.. i think anyone that thanked that were merely laughing at the post.. not adding to the attack on a moderator.. if you feel this then will encourage brave hearts to attack moderators for the purpose of thanks whoring, it wont,if it does, they will have a short lived internet experience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive read the first few posts on that thread, and it irritates me.. rules are rules but some times they do more harm than good tbh.

I think Rabies "common sence" approach to it is best.
    leave it as is.
    Its a little bit of joy some people get.

Can't punish people for thanking a 'bold' post. Would prefer thanks be removed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Maybe a red card should have been issued for that post, that way you can't thank the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That. ^

There are far too many people that would love clarification on this or that and have every little thing set in stone. That sort of thing kills fun and provides loopholes for people to abuse the system. I'd much prefer to see most of the fine detail left blurry and covered by "Don't be a dick" (not really paying attention to any policy stuff going on right now, but I hope it keeps some vagueness and fluidity despite any rules lawyers). All this "in the interests of fairness" stuff always seems to me to end up being exactly the opposite.

Sarky wrote: »
    That. ^

There are far too many people that would love clarification on this or that and have every little thing set in stone. That sort of thing kills fun and provides loopholes for people to abuse the system. I'd much prefer to see most of the fine detail left blurry and covered by "Don't be a dick" (not really paying attention to any policy stuff going on right now, but I hope it keeps some vagueness and fluidity despite any rules lawyers). All this "in the interests of fairness" stuff always seems to me to end up being exactly the opposite.
    You miss the point completely. As long as certain posters egg on other posters via the thanks button stuff like what happened in case highlighted in OP will continue.
    Posts are there to be thanked on their merit. Admittedly a lot of them aren't but thats what the thanks post is there for.
    I would have it removed myself totally as it has become for the part redundant IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're missing my point. As far as issues with the site go, it's kind of insignificant. You don't seem to attach much importance to thanks, by your own admission. So why does this particular instance concern you at all? Controlling every little thing might make things safer (and that's a very insulting use of the word for what boils down to someone saying "yeah! Me too!" but what the hell, there are probably users who cry when someone gets around the swear filter, it's depressingly appropriate), but it stifles, too. Boards is quite regulated enough without being told what you can or can't thank. Moderators make their calls, they're usually right, they're usually sorted out when shown to be wrong. The system pretty much works as is.

I'm going to go watch some Batman cartoons now. I'll probably forget I ever posted here before the end of the first episode.

What Sarky and RopeDrink said +1 (or thanks)

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Those who are stupid enough to think that a muppet's post getting thanked is a means of encouraging them to follow suit actually HELP Moderators worm out the bad-eggs even quicker - Moreso than it ever would by just slapping rules onto the Thanks system.

It'd put MORE work on Moderators and more reason for complaints in HelpDesk, fuels the whole 'Boards is a Nazi'esque Forum' fire dribble we see crop up in FeedBack from time to time, makes even more posting restrictions for everyone and is overall just so nitpicky it's laughable.

I've said it before countless times and I'll say it again - I see the Thanks button as a means of just plain and simply 'THANKING' a post, nothing more. If people take the urge to use it 'sarcastically', as a means of encouraging bad posts, use it to keep thanking their cliques or whatever, so beit.

There is no bonus given to anyone for having Thanked posts, none at all, other than highlighting that post for good (or bad, in this case) per thread so those who misuse it aren't exactly accomplishing much and to limit it further is pretty silly.

I honestly doubt anyone of sound mind would ever be offended by a post being thanked in a negative manner, beit egging on posts that insult people or whatever - I find that just as silly as it'd be for someone to get offended when their posts don't get thanked at all.

Not going to repeat my opinion any further anyways, made my points - All I'll say is "Should 'Bold Thankers' be Punished?" - No, it's impossible to devise a workable and fair system for doing so and no possible way to ever see for what reason X,Y or Z thanked any post on this website, ever. It's enough work having to Moderate posts & people - Having to Moderate THANKS on top of that is pretty sad.
    Again if the thanks button is being abused should it be there. I hear what you are saying. We dont want to be going down the road of over regulation but we are now seeing cases where some posters who are abusing both the thanks button and sig facilites for their own means.
    They were not set up for that purpose and if some mods feel they can't enforce or are reluctant to enforce rules re the abuse of said two, I think it is time that facilities like these are reviewed.

Again if the thanks button is being abused should it be there. I hear what you are saying. We dont want to be going down the road of over regulation but we are now seeing cases where some posters who are abusing both the thanks button and sig facilites for their own means.
    They were not set up for that purpose and if some mods feel they can't enforce or are reluctant to enforce rules re the abuse of said two, I think it is time that facilities like these are reviewed.

Then we go in to an over regulated and big brother is watching you style Boards.
    Not a good way to move forward.

So many people here get pissed off with little things.

If anything I'd like a stupidity and cotton wool filter added to the report post button.

Rabies wrote: »
    Then we go in to an over regulated and big brother is watching you style Boards.
    Not a good way to move forward.

So many people here get pissed off with little things.

If anything I'd like a stupidity and cotton wool filter added to the report post button.
    its simple enough. The thanks button has a specific function in this forum. People thank a post on its quality. That is the reason its here or should be here.
    Re the specifics of this thread it isnt there so posters can place their thanks on the bottom of an inflamatory post which was linked in OP.
    Otherwise we are only encouraging muppetry in here. If some mods feel they can't make a sound judgement on who is abusing this facility it (the whole thanks button system) needs to be looked at IMO.

• Advertisement

/throws negative rep around

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I agree with rabies and wish to subscribe to his/her newsletter.
    No big deal. Didn't want to ban the dood just to stop him posting on a thread where he was looking to stir trouble.
    Responded by telling me where to go and sharpshooter despatches him as we said we would.
    Some people got a giggle out of it.
    All well and good IMO.
    You come to expect this sort of thing the odd time. You should see the PMs tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

You come to expect this sort of thing the odd time. You should see the PMs tbh.

I think that is a big part of this issue

I think most mods who have posted in this thread ahve been dismissive of the idea mainly because we have to develop think skin when it comes to abuse

If posters saw some of the abusive PM's that get sent to Mods I think a lot of them would be apalled and would understand more why this sort of thing is a minor issue to us

*for a minor insight into this look at the last visitor message I received*
    *the hilarious thing about it was that I wasn't even the Mod who deleted his thread

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is a ludicrous suggestion. What next, arresting people for consoling a convicted rapist?

This is a ludicrous suggestion. What next, arresting people for consoling a convicted rapist?
    Again the posters who thanked that post linked in OP. They were stirring things up. Nothing to do with post being funny.
    There are posters on here who play to the gallery and like the all thanks whoring lark posts like these get.
    Posters who thanked post are equally culpable IMO. Where there is proof of incitement, bans should follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Again the posters who thanked that post linked in OP. They were stirring things up. Nothing to do with post being funny.
    There are posters on here who play to the gallery and like the all thanks whoring lark posts like these get.
    Posters who thanked post are equally culpable IMO. Where there is proof of incitement, bans should follow.

You can't prove it is incitement though, that is the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The thanks button has a specific function in this forum. .... That is the reason its here
    Erm, says who, exactly?

Where is specifically outlined what the "Thanks Button" is intended for, what it's use should be?
    People thank a post on its quality

Am I "people"?

I'm definitely a person, so I'll assume I'm "people".

You have absolutely zero idea why I thank the posts which I thank. None. Nada.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of reasons though.

a. the post is funny. I realise that everyone has a different sense of humour, and what I find funny, someone else may find distasteful. But you know what? Fck 'em, I don't care. If a post makes me laugh, it generally gets my name added to the end of it. This reason is first on the list, because it's the main reason I thank posts

b. I agree with the sentiments within the post. Simple.

c. the post was helpful to me, or another user in a forum I mod.

d. A moderator bans a user who is making my personal experience a diminished one. Yes, shock horror, I sometimes thank a mod who posts on a thread that a certain poster has been banned. I'm glad the moderator has taken the time out of their life to make my experience on Boards that bit more enjoyable. In fact, they are the thanks I really really like receiving myself. I see it as an expression of appreciation for my efforts to make Boards a better place. Lets me know I did the right thing in that instance.
    or should be here.

Aha. Once again you are trying to get things changed around here so they work in a way that suits your precious agenda.

SOTS, please stop this. Stop trying to change the way Boards works all over the bleedin place.

Just stop.

It seems to me that there are many many things on Boards that are an irritance to you. Why do you keep coming back?

Is it not absolutely obvious to you that the vast, VAST majority of people really really really enjoy Boards just. the. way. it. is. And that your constant niggling away at every little thing is wearisome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

*shrugs*

Meh. Hijacking argumentative boardsies.

Someone close the door behind me please. I need both my hands to facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are there any examples of infarcted posts being thanked causing problems? It's a non-issue imho

If it's a case that you feel personally insulted by someone thanking a post that's aimed at you then you could always contact a mod and see what can be done about it, but as a set in stone rule I think it would be damaging.. people will be weary of what they feel they are allowed to thank, and it shouldn't be like that. This isn't a classroom, people use the site as a means of recreation.. not to have OTT rules and regulations thrown at them

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Erm, says who, exactly?

Where is specifically outlined what the "Thanks Button" is intended for, what it's use should be?

Am I "people"?

I'm definitely a person, so I'll assume I'm "people".

You have absolutely zero idea why I thank the posts which I thank. None. Nada.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of reasons though.

a. the post is funny. I realise that everyone has a different sense of humour, and what I find funny, someone else may find distasteful. But you know what? Fck 'em, I don't care. If a post makes me laugh, it generally gets my name added to the end of it. This reason is first on the list, because it's the main reason I thank posts

b. I agree with the sentiments within the post. Simple.

c. the post was helpful to me, or another user in a forum I mod.

d. A moderator bans a user who is making my personal experience a diminished one. Yes, shock horror, I sometimes thank a mod who posts on a thread that a certain poster has been banned. I'm glad the moderator has taken the time out of their life to make my experience on Boards that bit more enjoyable. In fact, they are the thanks I really really like receiving myself. I see it as an expression of appreciation for my efforts to make Boards a better place. Lets me know I did the right thing in that instance.

Aha. Once again you are trying to get things changed around here so they work in a way that suits your precious agenda.

SOTS, please stop this. Stop trying to change the way Boards works all over the bleedin place.

Just stop.

It seems to me that there are many many things on Boards that are an irritance to you. Why do you keep coming back?

Is it not absolutely obvious to you that the vast, VAST majority of people really really really enjoy Boards just. the. way. it. is. And that your constant niggling away at every little thing is wearisome.
    Des it amazes me how you just jump into threads without reading them and then attempt to link them to me.
    Bonito started this thread. Maybe you read the OP before jumping to conclusions. Find it a bit amusing though how Bonito is thanking the post though.
    I was talking about OP he quoted and assume he still stands by what he says in that OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement